Today is Tuesday, July 29, 2014rss RSS feed

Illinois FOID Renewal: Take Action on your Late FOID

Illinois State Rifle Association

Illinois State Rifle Association

Illinois - -(AmmoLand.com)- The ISRA issued a press release on January 23rd, 2009, concerning the failure of the Illinois State Police to issue the FOID or provide an explanation for denial within 30 days of receipt of the application, as provided for by Illinois law.

The ISRA is working on the problem, but that doesn’t immediately help those awaiting a new FOID or a FOID renewal. If you are waiting for your FOID and you sent in your application 30 days ago or more, please follow these steps:

1. Call the ISP Police Firearms Services Bureau at 217-782-7980 and make an inquiry into the status of your card. Disregard any recorded message that tells you not to bother unless you’ve been waiting more than 56 days. It’s your rights that have been put on hold, it’s your freedom that is put in jeopardy, it’s your prerogative to call and ask for action.

2. Call your Illinois Representative and Illinois Senator at their Springfield offices and inform them of your difficulty getting your new or renewed FOID. It is very likely that your call will be answered by a secretary. Always be polite to the secretaries, they’re your portal to the legislators. Provide details on your situation: when you sent in your application, date your check cleared, etc. Ask for the legislator to make an inquiry on your behalf. It’s important for the legislators to know that the FOID delays are impacting citizens in their districts.

3. Do you need to find out who your state legislators are? You can find out by checking the website of the Illinois State Board of Elections on the page for District/Official Search. If you know who your legislators are but need their phone numbers, you can look them up on the ISRA website. There is a page for the representatives and another for the senators.

4. Show your solidarity for your fellow Illinois Gun Owners by joining us in Springfield on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 for IGOLD – Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day. Go to the IGOLD website at igold.isra.org for details.

About:

The ISRA is the state’s leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. Founded in 1903, the ISRA has represented the interests of millions of law-abiding Illinois firearm owner.

Visit ISRA.org for more Illinois Gun News.

• 15 User comments to “Illinois FOID Renewal: Take Action on your Late FOID”

1. illinois citizen since birth on November 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM said:

It’s been 42 days since they cashed the $10.00 check that I sent with my FOID renewal form and still no FOID card in the mail. I mailed the form out 52 days ago. I just called the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at 217-782-7980. The Hold time today is 113 minutes. 113 minutes. Yesterday it was 82 minutes. Illinois is a joke. There is talk about concealed carry not being good for Illinois because the FOID program has flaws. Lets start with fixing the Hold time on the teleprompter. Then We should raise the FOID renewal fee 2 dollars so we could hire a couple more gentlemen to answer the phone. We have them explain why a check has been cashed for 42 days and the FOID card has not been mailed yet. Then we can vote for a new governor who is concerned with the best interests of the citizens of Illinois.

2. WILLIAM J CHAPMAN on March 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM said:

I SENT IN AN APP. TO RENEW MY FOID CARD ON 1-27-2012. THE CHECK WAS CASHED ON 2-3-2012 I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY CARD. THANK YOU WILLIAM J
      CHAPMAN

3. David Neckolaishen on March 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM said:

I sent in re-newel on Feb 8, 2012 Check cleared bank on Feb. 22nd. Called in 3-28-12 and was told that Card had just been approved and I should get it in 7-10 Days. On Hold for only 15 Min.

4. John Karakachos on June 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM said:

I had my application done at Jerry,s sporting goods in Mt. Zion il. at least 8 or 10 weeks ago. I calles him the other day and he said the state told him at least 12 weeks to get them back. This seems way to long to me. Can you help?

5. Adam Hoff on July 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM said:

Makes me wanna move back to Florida.

6. Daniel Nye on August 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM said:

sent in my check 6/5/12 & have not gotten anything back yet. What’s up?

7. paul pandocchi on January 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM said:

IT HAS BEEN OVER 45 DAYS SINCE MY APPLICATION WAS SUBMITTED AT ILLINOIS GUN WORKS IN
      ELMWOOD PARK ILLINOIS,10 ATTEMPTS TO CALL,BUSY
      SIGNAL EVERY TIME.

8. gary miller on January 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM said:

got my foid app oct8-2012, sent in oct9-2012, they cashed check oct29-2012, here its jan17,2013, and no foid card after 3 calls to isp at 1-217-782-7980. ive had a foid card since the seventys, without problems of any kind, and an ill resident since birth. HELP.
      my foid card expired jan.1 2013.

9. Rick Babber on January 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM said:

I sent in my app on Nov. 26th 2012, still waiting.

10. Bernie Smith on February 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM said:

Sent my renewal December 4th Still waiting, Every time I call the answering machine hangs up. What are we as law abiding citizens supposed to do? this is pathetic!

11. Chicago, Illinois Citizen on February 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM said:

My check cleared on 11/13/12. I called last week to see what the problem was… the lady on the phone told me she will have a supervisor call me back, which he or she never did. This is ridiculous!

12. OVER 100 DAYS NOW AND STILL WAITING. I TRIED CALLING ISP, BUT CAN NOT GET THREW. THIS IS AGAINST THE LAW!

13. Marty Arnold on April 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM said:

My wife and I sent our applications on Jan. 5, 2013. The checks were cashed on Jan. 30, 2013. No action as of April 4, 2013. ISP is no longer answering the phone number listed; straight to machine saying call back later.

14. Excell Calhoun jr. on April 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM said:

Applied for renewal in February. Apparently the state is behind in processing application. An e-mail or letter would ne nice to inform the residents of Illinois that everything is being done.

15. Bob Hicks on June 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM said:

Mailed renewal app in Mid-Jan., check cashed on Feb 19th, it is now the middle of June, I was told last week they are still running a background check.. I have NO Criminal Record… not even a speeding ticket. Two Female members of my family got theirs in about 6 weeks (one should NOT own a Gun!), long after I applied. Monday I start calling my State Rep and bugging him daily, but he’s a Democrat so I doubt this will help much….