Today is Friday, September 19, 2014rss RSS feed

Pennsylvania Hunter Education Courses Slated For Summer

Pennsylvania Game Commission

Pennsylvania Game Commission

HARRISBURG, PA – -(AmmoLand.com)- With sales of the 2009-10 license set to begin in mid-June, Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe is reminding all first-time license buyers to make plans to attend a Hunter-Trapper Education (HTE) course now.

To register for a course in your area, visit the Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), select the “Hunter Education Classes” icon in the center of the homepage, and then follow the instructions.

With the support of thousands of volunteers, HTE courses are being held throughout the state. There is no fee for the basic HTE course. Pre-registration is required for many classes, so contact information is provided. Online registration also is available for most courses offered by the agency.

Taught by dedicated teams of trained volunteers, most HTE classes last at least 10 hours over two or more days, and participants must attend all instruction before taking the test at the end of the course. Youngsters must be at least 11 years old to receive HTE certification.

Successful completion of a basic Pennsylvania HTE class, or another state’s equivalent course, is required by state law to obtain a first-time hunting or furtaker license, regardless of age.

Registrations also are being accepted for the independent study version of the basic HTE program, which is available for those 11 years of age or older. A fee of $1.59 may apply if applicants order a printed copy of the study manual, which also is available online free of charge.

In addition, registrations are being accepted for two other educational programs offered by the Game Commission, “Successful Bowhunting!” and “Cable Restraint Certification.”

The Successful Bowhunting course is a one-day voluntary training program for those seeking to expand their skills and knowledge of bowhunting. While voluntary in Pennsylvania, certification for this course may be required by other states. The course fee is $18, and students will get to keep the independent study materials provided as part of the course.

The Cable Restraint Certification course is required for those trappers seeking to participate in the annual trapping season in which cable restraints are used to capture coyotes and foxes. The course fee is $15, and students will get to keep various education materials and one legal cable restraint provided as part of the course.

In 1959, the Game Commission began offering a voluntary hunter safety program, and about 25,000 students participated in that program annually. Beginning in 1969, the General Assembly required all first-time hunting license buyers under the age of 16 to successfully complete a four-hour hunter education course. The course requirement was expanded to six hours in 1977. The program became mandatory for all first-time hunting license buyers regardless of age in 1982.

Finally, in 1986, the safety program was increased to 10 hours of class time and trapper training was included. The name of the program also was changed to Hunter-Trapper Education, and was required for all first-time furtaker license buyers, too.

Since 1959, more than 1.8 million students have been certified through this course.

Info On Pennsylvania Hunter Education .

• 61 User comments to “Pennsylvania Hunter Education Courses Slated For Summer”

1. D.J. Short on October 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM said:

Hello I am wondering if i can take my hunter safety course on line. If so send me a link please.

2. Michelle on December 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM said:

No Pa is one of the states that dont have the course on line. There is only 25 states that do.

3. I was wondering if i could take the hunters safety course online? if so send me a link plz

4. i was wondering where i can take the hunter safety course in PA? if so can i have a link to help me find where i can take the course?

5. When and where is the next class in the Franklin County area for hunter safety course ?

6. When is the next scheduled hunter safety course in Pa.?

7. When is the next hunter safety course in beaver county, Pennsylvania

8. Paul behrens on January 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM said:

When is the next gun safety course in Bucks county?
      Paul

9. Melissa Elliott on January 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM said:

Please give me a schedule of hunters safety courses being offered in Franklin County.

10. Were can i find hunter safety courses around Pottstown PA

11. Look on the PA game commission’s website, they have all the listings with dates and times.

12. As of 1/23/10 PA Game Commission is in between classes and has not listed the class schedule for 2010.

When they do it will be found on this page here: PA Hunter Ed Classes

TIP: You will have to read and review their online Independent Study Guide, so if you want to get a jump on the class you can read through it at the previous link.

Welcome new hunters!

13. All states require a safety course before a license can be issued and organizations such as the N.R.A. ( to which I belong) to your local gun clubs are encouraging the youth of today to enjoy hunting, but what a bitch it is to find an open class without traveling 100 miles one way!!!! just venting.

14. jason knipe on February 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM said:

looking for location to take hunter safety course near Doylestown pa

15. I was wondering what is the wed address to register my nephew for the safty course?

16. sorry web address

17. Thomas on March 4, 2010 at 9:44 AM said:

Where can i find a hunter saftey course near pottstown,PA

18. stephen on March 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM said:

where can i find a hunter safty course near centerville pa

19. I’m wondering what documents my daughter needs to provide on the first day of hunter-trapper education? I’m thinking of s.s. card and birth certificate.

20. When is the next hunters safety course in beaver county

21. where can I find hunter safety courses in slatington pa

22. what is the address in slatington pa

23. I am looking to get my hunting license. Where can I take the course? I am 15 minutes outside of Philadelphia. Thank you.

24. my son is in the army an wants to hunt this fall is there any classes nere johnstown , pa. ?

25. Where can i find a hunter safety courses near pennsburg PA?

26. Where is the next Hunter Safety Course near Pottstown, PA? Is there a certain age that you dont need to take the course and be able to obtain a license?

27. Can you please tell me where I can attend a hunters safety course near Bangor, Pa? Thanks

28. aaron novak on September 21, 2010 at 3:56 PM said:

where is a open hunting safty coarse around newville pa

29. TRENT MARRA on September 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM said:

WHEN AND WHERE IS THE NEXT HUNTER SAFETY COURSE NEAR THE ALTOONA, PA AREA

30. Rich Moyer on November 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM said:

I took a PA hunter safety course in 1977, is there any way I can get proof or record that I took that? The only thing I have is the patch I received when I completed the course.

31. Where can I take grandson for a hunter safty course, he will be 12 Jan3,2011

32. When and where can I take my hunters saftey course in Western Pa?

33. just what to know where i can take the hunter safty course or email the link to my email please

34. Jackie Ober on November 13, 2010 at 12:47 PM said:

I’m working with my 16 year old grandson to get our hunters safety certification. Please let me know of the 2011 schedule for Centre County. If there is a class still in 2010 in Centre County, I’d be interested in that. Thanks.

35. looking to take my hunters safety course langhorne bucks county please let me know were and when thanks

36. i am looking for hunter safety courses online or not does not matter but could you tell me where and when. as in the location of the place or the name of the online course. Thank You.

37. i am looking for a hunter safety where can i find one at?

38. where can i find a hunter safety course in crawford county pennsylvania

39. I am looking for a hunters safety course in the York Pa area.What is the youngest age for course?

40. Heather on August 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM said:

I have tried to schedule and event for my kid. Apparently, from being on here about 2 years ago for my other child, I have an account already. I can’t remember the password and the hint doesn’t help! Now I can’t create a new account or register or anything! I hate this kind of thing. So frustrating!!!

41. Could you send me some information on how to sign up for the hunter safety course here in Bradford County? My son is 13 years old and would like to take the class.
      Thank you.

42. Do I need to take a separate class for trapping if I already took my hunters safety course? My permit says hunter-trapper education.

43. No Classes on November 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM said:

There are so few classes available it’s impossible to get a first-time license. Is this some kind of joke?

44. Mark Schwalm on March 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM said:

When & where are hunter safty courses for Schuylkill County for 2012?

45. Wayne reed on March 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM said:

when and where are hunter safty courses for Barto PA 19504 in 2012?

46. Richie Gilchrist on April 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM said:

I live in york pennsyvainna and evry time I hook on the link for hunter safety coarses it does not connect. Does anyone know who I can call, where or how I can get this safety coarse so I can get my 13 and 15 year old boys in the wood!

47. I am looking for hunter safty course. dates and times. I live in Nanticoke. Please advise Thanks

48. hunter safety courses for Montgomery county 2012?????

49. joseph guthier on May 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM said:

I am looking for hunter safety classes in the berks county area for this year. I have two grandsons that are anxious to hunt this year.

50. Brian on June 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM said:

What’s can I take safety hunters course. In center hall part. Zip code 16828.

51. Hey i was wondering when the next course date was in lake ariel pa?

52. Colin Dunar on September 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM said:

When and where is the next hunting education course near doylestown PA.?

53. When and where is the next hunting education course in Pa.?.

54. Jane Daughenbaugh on October 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM said:

I was wondering where near Johnstown pa can my son take his hunter safety course..

55. Tim Sibble on November 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM said:

I am looking to take my hunter safety online plz send me the sate to me

56. 2013 Hunter saftery classes that are available on Saturdays? Locations in/around Bucks county PA Please…

57. Looking for classes in berks county
      thanks

58. Richard Jonas on July 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM said:

Do you have the dates for up coming dates for hunter safety courses in Montgomery county?
      Rich

59. anybody no where I can take a course if so respond

60. charlie on June 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM said:

looking for locations time and days of upcoming safety courses in bucks county for this summer.

61. jim lewis on August 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM said:

How can i get a copy of my hunter certified? That i took back in 1976.