Georgia Hunters For The Hungry Taking Donations Across The State
Weekend collection sites available Nov. 7-8; Processor collection sites open throughout deer firearms season.
SOCIAL CIRCLE, Ga. –-(AmmoLand.com)- Hunters are generous people. This fact is best showcased in the continued support of the Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program, through which sportsmen and women can donate deer at specific drop-off locations and the meat is processed and donated to Food Banks in the state. Since 1993, hunters in Georgia have donated more than 1.25 million meals of venison.
In addition to the 15 participating processor collection locations available now through Jan. 15, three weekend collection sites will be available on the weekend of Nov. 7-8, 2009 making sharing the harvest with those in need even easier.
New this year, the GHFTH program has extended donation opportunities to include the “Drop Back a Pack” program. This new opportunity allows hunters to donate some of their processed venison when they visit the processor to pick up their meat. All participating GHFTH program processors will have a freezer indicating where hunters can “Drop Back a Pack” for those in need.
Hunters interested in donating to the GHFTH program should bring a field-dressed deer to any of the locations listed below. All hunters who donate a deer will be entered into a drawing for a deer rifle, sponsored by the Georgia Wildlife Federation.
The following fifteen processor locations will accept deer or commercially processed venison from Sept. 12, 2009 – Jan. 15, 2010 during business hours:
- Axson – Lee’s Meat Processing, (912) 422-3079
- Baldwin – JJ’s Deer Processing, (706) 776-2819
- Canton – Mitch’s Archery and Deer Cooler, (770) 479-7004
- Columbus – Daffin Meat Processing, (706) 322-8848
- Dawson – Mossey Creek Outdoors, (229) 995-4109
- Eastman – Barlow’s Deer Processing, (478) 374-5614
- Fairmount – Pine Log Processing, LLC, (770) 382-6328
- Irwinton – Starley’s Deer Processing, (478) 946-8976
- Jefferson – Sealey’s Deer Cooler, (706) 335-9304
- Leesburg – Country Jacks, (229) 883-6017
- Milledgeville – Wright’s Deer and Wild Hog Processing, (478) 452-4228
- Naylor – K&K Deer and Wild Hog Processing, (229) 269-5557
- Sparta – Garner’s Grinder, (706) 444-9228
- Stephens – Fire Tower #2 Meat Processing, (706) 743-3766
- Vidalia – Stewart’s Quality Meat, Inc. (912) 537-9888
The following locations will be available between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.; Nov. 7-8:
- Newnan – Royal Baptist Church, Hwy. 34 Bypass N to Royal Mayo Rd.
- Rockmart – Lamar’s Sports Center, 392 Atlanta Hwy.
- Rome – Lavender Mountain Hardware, 4065 Martha Berry Hwy., NW
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division along with the Georgia Department of Corrections, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Wildlife Federation and the Georgia State Association of Food Banks sponsor the annual Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program.
For more information on donating food to those in need during other times of the year, call the Atlanta Community Food Bank at (404) 892-FEED. For more information on the GHFTH program, visit www.gohuntgeorgia.com , www.gwf.org ,contact a WRD Game Management office or call (770) 761-3045.