This hearing will be held at 1:00 p.m. in Hearing Room E of the Oregon Capitol. Sponsored by state Representative Jim Thompson (R-23), HB 4054 would prohibit the Public Employees’ Benefit Board from authorizing or requiring the collection of information or maintenance of records about firearms from eligible employees or family members applying for health benefits.
HB 4054 was introduced after state Senate Republican Leader Ted Ferrioli (R-30) secured commitments from both Kaiser Permanente and the Public Employee’s Benefit Board to purge gun ownership data that had been collected after implementing a new employee initiative called the “Health Engagement Model.” After Senator Ferrioli’s inquiries, both plans dropped the questions related to firearms.
Please call and e-mail members of the state House Health Care Committee TODAY and urge them to support HB 4054. Their contact information can be found below.
House Health Care Committee:
- Representative Mitch Greenlick (D-33), Co-Chairman
- Representative Jim Thompson (R-23), Co-Chairman
- Representative Val Hoyle (D-14), Co-Vice Chairman
- Representative Bill Kennemer (R-39), Co-Vice Chairman
- Representative Jason Conger (R-54)
- Representative Margaret Doherty (D-35)
- Representative Alissa Keny-Guyer (D-46)
- Representative Julie Parrish (R-37)
Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the “lobbying” arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Visit: www.nra.org