By David Gonzales
AmmoLand Youtube Firearms Reporter
The CZ-82 has been on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, curio and relic list since 2007. This means that in most states you can have this awesome little military surplus pistol shipped directly to your front door if you have an FFL03/Curio&Relic license .
(If you’ve read my Mosin Nagant article you’ll know that I think having a Curio&Relic license is the best $30 any gun collector can spend.)
The CZ-82 was introduced in 1983 as a replacement for the Czechoslovakian military’s larger framed, CZ-52 pistol. Also, the CZ-82 is a double action/single action pistol with an ambidextrous safety and magazine release. It weighs about 28 oz., (unloaded) and is 6.8 inches in length; 1.4 inches wide and about 5 inches in height.
Here’s what I really like about the CZ-82 pistol:
- Price: For right around $200 (plus shipping if you decide to buy it online) you can add a really great, affordable gun to your collection. In addition, I really like the fact that it’s so much cheaper than the commercially available CZ-83 pistol, which is usually chambered in .380 or .32 auto and can cost upwards of $400!
- The cartridge: 9mm Makarov (9x18mm) in most loading’s, is a notch more potent than the .380 (9x17mm). Granted, you’re not going to be able to walk into most of your local sporting good stores and buy a box of 9mm Makarov ammunition for your CZ-82. However, online is a totally different story if you buy bulk. $10.00 for a box of 50 rounds of ammunition is a fairly decent price.
- Polygonal rifled barrel: With it’s chrome lined, fixed barrel and polygonal rifling (like a Glock!) it’s a very accurate pistol.
- Function: The trigger on the CZ-82 is smooth and really great in both double and single action. Also, to be able to carry the pistol “cocked and locked” when the hammer is back and the safety is actuated is a very interesting and unusual feature for a gun like this in my observation and I really like having the option to carry it in that manner.
- Conceal-ability: Really good for a gun with a double stack magazine. Also, the magazine has a twelve round capacity!
Hard for me to believe that this great pistol has been on the market for approximately five years at such an affordable price. It will be a sad day for any gun collector when they dry up from the surplus market and they don’t already have one or two of these pistols in their collection.
About David Gonzales:
David Gonzales grew up with firearms and has many fond memories of hunting with his grandfather. He enjoys participating in the occasional shooting match, going to the gun range with his family and friends and still has much to learn about firearms. However, he became a certifiable “Gun Nut” in 2008 when he realized that the constitutional right he took for granted could so easily be taken away. Did you see something on YouTube that David Should review. Leave a link in the comments below.