Today is Wednesday, April 23, 2014rss RSS feed

New Self Defense Handguns Offer High-Grade Features at Affordable Price Point.

S&W SD40 VE Low Capacity Pistol

S&W SD40 VE Low Capacity Pistol

Smith and Wesson

Smith and Wesson

SPRINGFIELD, Mass.--(Ammoland.com)- Smith & Wesson Corp. today announced that it has unveiled two new handgun models designed to assist with self protection and home defense needs. Chambered in 9mm and .40 S&W, the new Smith & Wesson SD9 VE™ and SD40 VE™ semi-automatic pistols combine value with enhanced features that deliver top-grade performance into a reliable option for both home and personal protection uses.

Mario Pasantes, Smith & Wesson’s Senior Vice President of Marketing and Global Professional Sales, said, “With the introduction of the new SD9 VE and SD40 VE pistols, we have taken the best features of the SD and Sigma pistols and evolved them into a new generation of firearms that meet our customers’ requirement in terms of both functionality and price.”

The foundation of each SD VE pistol is based on a lightweight polymer frame, designed to deliver in the areas of comfort and durability. On the stainless steel slide, the SD VE pistol features a distinctive two-tone finish along with aggressive front and rear slide serrations for improved firearm handling. Among the key features found on the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE and SD40 VE is the Self Defense Trigger (SDT™). Providing a smooth, consistent trigger pull, the SDT design helps to enhance accuracy while providing users with increased confidence. To further aid in accuracy, the SD VE is standard with a white-dot front sight and a white two-dot rear sight.

For optimal comfort and control, the SD VE pistol has been fitted with an 18° natural point of aim, ergonomic grip with aggressive front and back strap texturing. The Smith & Wesson SD9 VE and SD40 VE have both been built with a textured finger locator, which is placed directly above the trigger guard on the left and right side of the frame. Underneath the barrel, a universal Picatinny-style equipment rail is standard for optional tactical lights, lasers and other popular accessories.

The SD9 VE is available with either a 16+1 or 10+1 round capacity while the SD40 VE is standard with either a 14+1 or 10+1 magazine capacity. Both pistols have an unloaded weight of 22.7 ounces and a slender width of 1.29 inches. With a 4-inch barrel and an overall length of 7.2 inches, both models are fully compatible for personal protection or home defense measures. Each pistol comes with two magazines and the Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy.

The SD9 VE and SD40 VE have a suggested retail price of $379 and are currently shipping. For more information on the SD VE pistols, please visit www.smith-wesson.com/SDseries.

A number of high-quality accessories are available for the SD series. A partial list of accessory manufacturers follows. Please contact these or any of your favorites to inquire about availability: LaserMax®, LaserLyte, Crimson Trace, Galco Holsters, Fobus Holsters & Pouches, DeSantis Gunhide® and BLACKHAWK!.

S&W SD9 VE Low Capacity Pistol

S&W SD9 VE Low Capacity Pistol

About Smith & Wesson
Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC) is a U.S.-based leader in firearm manufacturing and design, delivering a broad portfolio of quality firearms, related products and training to the global military, law enforcement, and consumer markets. The company’s brands include Smith & Wesson, M&P and Thompson/Center Arms. Smith & Wesson facilities are located in Massachusetts and Maine. For more information on Smith & Wesson, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com.

Ammoland Click to read AmmoLand FTC Marital Disclosures Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.
  • 41 User comments to “Smith & Wesson Introduces New SD9 VE & SD40 VE Pistols”

1. [...] SD9/40 VE S&W has released a new low cost home defense and person protection pistol. Smith & Wesson Introduces New SD9 VE & SD40 VE Pistols Reply With Quote « Previous Thread | Next Thread [...]

2. James Hart on July 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM said:

I bought the SD40 VE yesterday. Went to the range with several types of ammo. The gun would not run anything but round nose ammo. Luckily, I had purchased some Pow’r ball which ran flawlessly. All others, including truncated nose fmj and normal hollow points had consistant ftf problems. LGS guys said it was the design with a very small feed ramp that caused the ftf’s. It did hit at point of aim and recoil was not bad at all.

3. James Hart on July 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM said:

wish I had spent $50 more and got the used Glock G23.

4. I went to the range with my friend who has a piece of **** glock,I tried to fire it but it wouldn’t fire so I threw it on the ground and stomped on it and offered to buy him a Smith & Wesson,he took me up on my offer and left the glock in a mudhole.Everybody laughed at the stupid glock.

5. My other friend’s glock exploded while he was firing it and blew his hand off,I hate glocks and the stupid trigger pull on them.

6. I paid a guy $50. to haul my stupid glock away.The trigger was to light for my manly hands and stupid glock wouldn’t fix it.

7. joshua on July 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM said:

i got both the sd40ve and the sd9ve the price was right but after having the guns one week and only 50 rounds they had to go back to smith and wesson.the 9mm the trigger pin came out and the 40 jammed and the barrel was messed up on it.so i have had very bad luck with them.

8. 1spuds1 on July 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM said:

SD9 new shot 2 times and trigger pin falling out- their service said send it back they will fix it in 3 weeks or so, what a joke i just bought it and that happens. i told them they should supply superglue with their new guns if thats the quality they produce at their factory.

9. I hear black helicopters on August 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM said:

I was considering buying a SD9 VE but the remarks above have changed my mind. Thanks

10. I bought the sd9ve about 2 months ago since then I have put a variety of over 2000 Rds through it, it has not jammed once and after breaking it in, the trigger pull is right on, for the price smith and wesson did a excellent job, I wouldn’t ever go with a different name

11. I bought the SD9 VE about a month ago. I put about 500 rounds through it and haven’t had an issue yet. It fires like a dream. I bought mine from the PX for a really good price.

12. I picked up one of these from my local gun shop a couple weeks ago.. I am very impressed. Great gun for the price. I have put 200 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Highly recommend!

13. Ive recently purchased a the SD40 havent fired it yet but on my way to in a bit I see some of you have had issuse with it any advice guys

14. I am getting the sd40 this Saturday for my bday and can’t wait. My friend has the old model and I love it. So I know I’m going to really love this one. I’m already considering buying another one and having 2 of them.

15. I just bought the SD40 today; can’t wait to get to the range tomorrow. picked up some winchester fmj to put through it.

16. I bought an SD40 yesterday, and I am having FTF issues with it constantly. I bought a box of PMC ammo with it, so I will try a different type of round. But so far this annoying me.

17. i bought sd40ve 2weeks ago ive put 200 rounds through it no proublems at all very accurate gun for the money i think im going to buy the sd9 ve

18. I have a SD9 VE which I purchased 2 months ago. I have fired several hundred rounds of various ammo. No problems to date. I liked it so well I purchased a another in a 40 cal. just like it. These are quality shooters, don’t be afraid to buy one, I did and am glad to have two of them now. I carry mine concealed in a Tommy Theis IWB holster daily.

19. Mike Paradoxical on October 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM said:

I just bought the s&w sd40 ve today. I put over 100 rounds in it and had no problems, whatsoever. It never jammed. I only paid 299 for mine, new. Its easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Well worth the money so far! thanks Smith & Wesson!

20. I recently won the lottery and purchased 100 glocks and destroyed them so stupid people wouldn’t buy them and get hurt with them,glocks are no good and should be taken off the market.

21. Mad Dog Bad Boy on November 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM said:

Hey, quit raging on the Glocks. I found 100 of them that had been destroyed, I melted them down and they make great door stops.

22. OWN BOTH… I have put the far below BS number %age of rounds a person claims to put through their weapon. Usually with assault weapons people say “I have put THOUSANDS of rounds through my weapon” yea yea…. I have put literally the same amount of amount through both weapons and guess what… they both performed the exact same… No misfires, no failure to feeds, no jamz… The Police officers I know who carry these LOVE them. Of course we can argue about them being cheap clones of Glock 17/19s etc… but I have both of those to… perform wonderful… I love them and the S9VE is my main carry weapon.

23. Ihave the SD 40 VE hsd some FTF seny it in S&W switch out the barrel and now she shoots like a dream no prob anf for 299 out the door cant beat it i love the gun

24. Big boy 3621 on December 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM said:

I have. SD40VE and I put about 200rounds of blazer brass fmj 180 grain flat nose with no problems at all do far , I’m not a expert on guns This is my first one actually , I plan on buying more don’t have a lot of money so I have to keep them in a low price range but I don’t want junk either , any suggestions on hunting style rifles and decent 1911 , I do know they are quite costly but I want one doesnt have to be fancy.

25. wild willy on December 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM said:

I’ve shot over 500 rounds through my new sd9 without a single problem. Dead on aim, great feel, reasonable price. I would definetly recommend it to anyone.

26. Just picked up the 9. 200 rounds 1 misfire. Had to be a bum round. ZPOI is a bit left. Sight is just off center. Still love it. Neverfear noons. Just buy it!

27. hillbilly on December 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM said:

Picked up the 40 yesterday and put some federal round nose and Speer hollow point through it. No issues with either ammo, sights were right on. If you do your part it will do its part.

28. Tim Wolfe on January 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM said:

Does anyone make a conversion kit to fire 9mm in the SD40 VE? I know they do for a M&P.

29. In Idaho on January 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM said:

I bought a new SD9VE just before Christmas and have fired about 200 flawless rounds of Winchester white box 115′s through it. I am very pleased with the accuracy and reliability thus far. If these first 200 rounds are an indication of things to come, then I am looking forward to owning and shooting this gun. At this point I would recommend anybody looking for a gun to seriously consider the SD9VE.

30. Bill Baker on January 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM said:

I know its just a personal issue, but I cant stand glocks and glock wanna-be’s. Sorry, pretty gun, but give me a 92FS 1911 or a desert eagle any day. Grats on your christmas, hope it was merry.

31. The Ghost on January 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM said:

I purchased my SD9VE the week before Christmas and have put right at 500 flawless rounds through this weapon. I used to pass my CCW permit in TN hitting 48 of 50 shots on target.

I love the feel and the trigger has really smoothed out well. I believe I got luck but my trigger tested on average between 6.5lbs & 7lbs out of the box.

It eats everything I put through it and trust the weapon with my life… which is why it will be on my hip via the Little FoxX Hybrid Holster as soon I receive my actual permit in the mail.

This is an excellent defense weapon regardless of the price. S&W is proving you don’t have to spend $600 plus to own a great pistol.

32. Greg McClain on January 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM said:

I have mixed feelings on the SD40 I own. I have put about 350 rounds through it and have had more jams than I would expect. I have only used flat nose ammo in it so I might try to find some round nose. The feed ramp is not good for flat nose and hallow point ammo. Other then that the gun feels good in my hand, easy to tare down and shoots ok. It was also a great price at Vance’s in Columbus. It was around 275 and a little over 300 out the door. So how can you go wrong with a S&W for 275 and it’s made in America. So take that for what it’s worth. Overall the gun is nice, but it needs a better feed ramp and the trigger pull could be a little lighter.

33. I bought a sd40 ve last weekend and have out about 250 rounds threw it and I have used flat nose and fmj with no issues. I would have to say for the price it is worth every penny.

34. Purchased my SD9VE couple months now and have shot over 400 rounds with not a single jam. Trigger pulls great, who needs hairline, my patience is already a hairline trigger. No malfunctions and SD9 does not care if you clean it or not, you can fire 2000 rounds w/o cleaning and still fire like it is brand new. Recently got a 30 round mag and now clean it daily because I love the smell of oil on metal.

35. How do I go about getting descounts on guns and hunthing cloths and other things cause i am a member of the hunter instructurs assocation

36. Just purchased the sd9ve a wk ago need to get to the range to check it out..

37. Robert May on March 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM said:

My girlfriend bought me the sd40ve for me for christmas this year and it is absolutly the best gun I have shot but I don’t use jackeded rounds but I have fired close to 500 rounds thru it not a single jam or messed up chambering of a round its a great gun and the recoil isn’t all that bad either great gun

38. bought a little over a yr ago, sd40ve, can’t say enough good things about this gun. No FTF, FTE, this thing has functioned flawlessly, and is a breeze to break down and clean.
      use this for my HD and every day carry, I have no reason not to trust this gun with me and my family’s life.
      Great Handgun.

39. The wife and I went out to shoot our sd40ve’s yesterday (I purchased 2 of these guns. The first time the wife fired her gun, it jammed. About 3-4 months later, we went to the range again. The second time my wife fired her weapon, the round exploded and shrapnel came out of the chamber and hit my wife in her upper lip. Had to go to the emergency room. Half of her upper lipped is burned and she also has a big whole from where the ER pulled a 1/4″ piece of sharpnel out of her lip. Crazy!! I will be selling both of these guns.

40. I Bought an s&w sd9 ve……. Daaaaaaa best gun i owned next to the glock 23 believe me I been thru a few thousands rounds more like 5000 rounds And no f/><# ups …….I go to the range and show the sd9 no love or remorse by firing it like an A/k and it dont back down The sd9 ve is a high 10 for home and self defense

41. Richard on July 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM said:

I have been using a S&W SD40VE for over a year. The only problem I had was the trigger spring which I replaced making the trigger pull at 4.5 to 5 lbs. and very smooth. I would not trade it for anything.

S&W SD40 VE Pistol