Missoula, MT –-(Ammoland.com)- Many elected sheriffs across the U.S. are reacting to the President Obama’s executive orders and proposed laws in Congress to invoke various new gun control schemes by declaring publicly that they and their officers will not enforce any new executive orders or federal laws that violate the restraints imposed on government by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
In addition to the many individual sheriffs taking this position, the Utah Sheriffs Association has recently declared such a position.
- Find a list of sheriffs and letters issued by individual sheriffs at: http://tiny.cc/1gx9qw
- Utah Sheriffs Association report is at: http://tiny.cc/jhx9qw
We ask you to stand with us and these many other sheriffs, first by making such a declaration yourself to the people of your county, and second by releasing that declaration into the public domain (send us a copy of your letter to your county residents).
Some sheriffs go even further and declare that they will not permit federal officers to enforce any new federal gun control against citizens in their counties. If you wish to go that extra mile, more power to you.
However, we ask only for your declaration that you and your officers won’t be enforcing any new federal gun control in your county. We believe the law-abiding, registered voters of your county will appreciate that clearly-stated position.
In case you are not familiar with it, the central holding by the U.S. Supreme Court in its Printz v. US decision was that Congress may not compel sheriffs to enforce federal laws.
Very Sincerely yours,
- Sheriff Tom Rummel, Sanders County [email protected]; 406-826-3206 hm /406-827-3584 cell
- Sheriff Darby Harrington, Wibaux County [email protected]; 406-796-2415 ofc
- Jay Printz, former sheriff, Ravalli County, member NRA Board of Directors [email protected]; 406-381-0485 cell
- Sen. Terry Murphy, Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committe [email protected]; 406-285-6937 cell
- Rep. Krayton Kerns, Chairman, House Judiciary Committe [email protected]; 406-697-6449 cell
- Gary Marbut, President, Montana Shooting Sports Association [email protected]; 406-549-1252 ofc
To make it easier for you to forward the letter to Montana sheriffs about non-enforcement of new federal gun control, or to share it with your local sheriff to make sure your sheriff received it, I have posted the letter at:
Montana Shooting Sports Association
author, Gun Laws of Montana
About Montana Shooting Sports Association:
MSSA is the primary political advocate for Montana gun owners. Visit: www.mtssa.org