Wisconsin –-(Ammoland.com)- Dear Activist,
When I learned how the Wisconsin Republican Party was mistreating Todd Welch, I got angry.
You see, Todd is the Wisconsin State Coordinator for Campaign for Liberty. I count him as a friend.
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Todd in the trenches and he’s an ideal champion for the conservative cause and Wisconsin gun rights.
He’s young, energetic, smart, politically-savvy and most important rock solid in his pro-gun views and defense of all things liberty.
And just like Ron Paul, he’s a real gentleman – just the type of rare talent conservatives need to encourage.
Todd was instrumental in fighting alongside me and Wisconsin Gun Owners (WGO) during the last session for Constitutional Carry. And he’s an honorary WGO member, too.
So why is Richard Rust, Dunn County GOP Chair, making up phony rules to kick Todd Welch out of the Republican party?
- Could it be retaliation for Todd’s holding the party establishment’s feet to the fire at the RNC?
- Or his consistent demanding of pro-gun initiatives that keep angering the compromisers within the GOP?
This is where the real fight takes place – right here in the grassroots. And I know what it’s like to be attacked and kicked in the teeth and have no one stand up and vouch for you.
So I want you and all WGO members to do two things.
- Send Todd Welch an e-mail with some words of encouragement. Read his note below. Then e-mail a quick note thanking him for fighting a battle of principle. In this thankless job, we need to stand up for those who stand up for us. Believe me: It goes further than you may ever realize. I know he’d appreciate hearing from you. You can e-mail Todd at Todd.Welch@campaignforliberty.com.
- Contact Richard Rust at the Wisconsin GOP at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him you’re disgusted with the manner in which he’s mistreating Todd Welch. Ask him why he’s working so hard to derail the conservative cause. And insist he explain why he’s kicking one our best pro-gun activists in the gut. We conservatives need to stand united, and Todd Welch has been an example to all of us in the liberty movement.
Corey Graff Executive Director
P.S. – Here are the e-mails for the Wisconsin Republican Party leadership, should you wish to express your displeasure:
- Brad Courtney – State.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Brian Schimming – State.1stViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Crystal Berg – State.2ndViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Laurie Forcier – State.3rdViceChairman@wisgop.info
- Robin Moore – State.4thViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Mike Monson – State.AtLarge@Wisgop.Info
- Bill Johnson – State.FinanceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- David Anderson – State.Secretary@Wisgop.Info
- Robert Greason – State.Treasurer@Wisgop.Info
- Stephen King, Sr. – State.NationalCommitteeman@Wisgop.Info
- Mary Buestrin – State.NationalCommitteewoman@Wisgop.Info
- Reince Priebus – State.ImmediatePastChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Gerard Randall – State.AfricanAmericanCouncilman@Wisgop.Info
- Mike Sandvick – State.LaborCouncilman@Wisgop.Info
- Joe Medina – State.HeritageChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Casey Himebauch – CD1.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Jan Deters – CD1.Vicechairman@Wisgop.Info
- Kim Babler – CD2.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Debi Towns – CD2.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Maripat Krueger – CD3.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Karen Dunham – CD3.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Bob Spindell – CD4.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Doug Haag – CD4.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Kathy Kiernan – CD5.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Curt David – CD5.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Dan Feyen – CD6.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Tyler Vorpagel – CD6.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Craig Rosand – CD7.Chairman@Wisgop.Info
- Jim Miller – CD7.ViceChairman@Wisgop.Info
- Bill Berglund – CD8.Chairman@wisgop.info
- Kevin Barthel – CD8.ViceChairman@wisgop.info
Read Todd’s Letter Below
I have a confession to make…I’m a Republican.
Or at least I think I am. The reason I’m not sure is because I received a certified letter from the Dunn County Republican Party chairman Richard Rust that said I was being denied membership in the party.
While Campaign for Liberty is a non-partisan organization, I have been personally involved in the GOP for years, so this letter came as a shock to me because I just represented Wisconsin at the national convention as a delegate. It was also shocking, because to tell you the truth, I didn’t even know there was an application.
Why is there a sudden interest to kick me out of the GOP? I believe part of it stems from my insistence that Republican (and really all) elected officials should be voting for limited constitutional government. When elected officials don’t, then it’s our job to let them know we are not happy.
It could also be that I fought against rules to silence the grassroots at the Republican National Convention, a naked power grab by the party elite.
I will let you know that I did contact Richard Rust, to give him a chance to retract his denial of my membership, explaining to him why he was wrong. But he would not hear it.
I want you to know, I’m not going to resign from the GOP in protest. I’m not going to give the party insiders a victory by trying to sweep this under the rug, and I’m certainly not going to quit letting you know when politicians (even Republican elected officials) take away our liberty or property.
For instance I believe Campaign for Liberty members should:
Hold Paul Ryan accountable for voting for the fiscal cliff bill to increase the debt and taxes, despite a public pledge not to
Contact Ron Johnson, who is ignoring the GOP platform and won’t support Audit the Fed
Let both of them know we are opposed to their vote to allow indefinite detention of American citizens without trial
Mr. Rust has his priorities in the wrong place. Instead of punishing members, he needs to be working with us to hold ELECTED officials accountable to their promises, Republican principles, and the Constitution, which they took an oath to defend.
Today we are fighting back with the rules, since what Richard Rust is attempting to do is outside the rules. You see, since the Dunn County GOP did not have anything in their party constitution about denying membership, they must follow Roberts Rules of Order.
Roberts Rules of Order does not allow for denial of membership, and requires anyone charged to be allowed a trial with a jury of their peers. In addition, it is recommended that I be allowed thirty days to prepare, and I am allowed council.
I am asking for your help to ensure Dunn County Republican Party chair Richard Rust knows that this attempted denial of membership is unacceptable and that he must follow the rules.
If you agree that the GOP should be following its own rules, can I count on you to call Richard Rust at 715-235-1485 and email him at email@example.com. Please let him know you’re upset that he is abusing his power.
This is an important fight, because once the party elites of any political party get the idea that they can win by simply removing people who disagree with them personally, we will have lost an effective tool to fight for freedom.
And please don’t think I’m asking you to quit the GOP or any other political party in disgust. That just gives the party insiders more power and control. I encourage you to join and get involved in the party of your choice so that the self-appointed elites are in touch with the grassroots.
With your help, though, we will win this battle for the future.
Wisconsin Campaign for Liberty
P.S. Please help me stop this attempted abuse of power by Dunn County Republican Party Chairman Richard Rust. Call him at 715-235-1485 right now and demand he reinstate me as a member of the Dunn County Republican Party and follow Robert Rules of Order.
Tell him that if we are going to win, we must fight for our principles and demand our politicians be held accountable to them.
Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc. is a 501(c)4 non-profit organization. Donations made to Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc. are not deductible for income tax purposes. Thank you!
WGO works for grassroots gun owners, not politicians. While many gun lobbies fight for “reasonable gun control,” WGO sets a higher standard: Defining the terrain of pro-gun political battle. Sure, many groups claim they’re “pro-gun” – all the while they provide cover for anti-gun deals cut by politicians – but only WGO truly informs gun owners, remaining committed to a 100% pro-gun position. We oppose all gun control – regardless of the political party – and work tirelessly to restore the Second Amendment. Visit www.wisconsingunowners.org