Today is Monday, September 22, 2014rss RSS feed
Youth Trapper Takes First Wisconsin Wolf

Youth Trapper Takes First Wisconsin Wolf

U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance

Columbus, OH --(Ammoland.com)- When 14 year old Maegan Loka learned that a Wisconsin Wolf tag, for the inaugural season, was going to be donated to her over the phone, she was so surprised that she had to take a deep breath before exclaiming “yes!”

As the President of the Future Trappers of Wisconsin, and the youngest youth member of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, Loka is not a novice when it comes to the sport of trapping. However, a wolf tag in Wisconsin is not easy to come by, so Loka knew she had to jump on the opportunity.

“I knew exactly where I wanted to set my traps,” explained Loka. “I dyed and waxed my #3 Bridger traps that I had won at the 2012 Wisconsin Trapper’s Association Spring Banquet, and on opening day my dad picked me up to take me out to set four traps.”

She set four more traps over the course of the next two days. Loka and her family went out after school on the third day to check the eight traps she had placed using dirt hole sets.

“When we drove up to the second set I could see something moving. I about climbed over the front seat of the truck to see what it was.” said Loka. “Before my dad could turn the truck off, I was already out the door. I was so excited! I harvested a wolf!”

Loka was the first individual to take a gray wolf after the delisting of the Greater Western Wolves from the endangered species list.

“I learned a quote in class…“What you learned here is not yours to keep—it’s only yours to share,” said Loka. “I really believe in this and I am going to pass on what I have learned to others.”

All of us need to heed that very good advice from this very young person!

Western Great Lakes Wolves History
The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation (USSAF) and our partners have worked hard over the past five years to have wolves in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin removed from the Endangered Species list.

In response to a petition from USSAF and our partners, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) announced in January 2012 that gray wolf populations in the Western Great Lakes region had exceeded recovery goals and should no longer be protected under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). This move returned wolves to state management in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and some portions of adjoining states.

This move opened the door for the first wolf hunting and trapping seasons which NAME took full advantage of. USSAF and our partners continue to fight to protect sportsmen and women from legal battles brought by anti-hunting groups looking to put wolves back under federal protection.

About:The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance is a national association of sportsmen and sportsmen’s organizations that protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. Visit www.ussportsmen.org.

• 27 User comments to “Youth Trapper Takes First Wisconsin Wolf”

1. Hopalong on July 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM said:

GOOD FOR HER. Its good to see her generation, in the hunting, trapper trade.

2. Hopalong on July 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM said:

I think all women ,should learn to shoot and carry a gun. Except the women I argue with. hehehe

3. —–

Not cool. Heartless.

Shooting is one thing. Trapping is cruel. She…is cruel.

—–

4. Good going, little gal!!! Hope you get several more !!!!

5. Trapping is not illegal or heartless. Wolves don’t have predators and have to be culled to keep them from harming people. Of course gun grabbers are not into protecting anyone but criminals. Hunting will give this girl more confidence, with guns, than a whole life of shooting at paper can do.

6. Seanoamericano on July 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM said:

Every spring on Decker Flats when the snow melts the rib cages of elk that starved in the winter show. This is because of the herds are too large for the food supply. This is due to bleeding heart liberals stopping the culling of the heards since they have no thinning from wolf packs. This is where hunting and trapping help. People who hunt are doing so for the food. Slow starvation is much more agonizing the a bullet or a trap.

7. thetruth on July 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM said:

“have to be culled to keep them from harming people” – lets see, there will be 11 BILLION humans in the next decade and how many billion wolves? We encroach their land and expect that its our right to kill? Why don’t you people hunt without any weapons? What a bunch of coward idiots!

8. Scar Stigr on July 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM said:

@Jane, Tina and anonymou (Assume you meant anonymous but went to a liberal school and can’t spell.) Ammoland must be doing things right to attract liberal trolls such as yourself to the site. Hoplophobic anti-hunting isn’t something I would associate with old fashioned monsters under the bridge (aka: t’rolls) , so I have a couple questions for you. Do modern ones live under bridges? If so, do you get good wi-fi signals there?
      Forgive me if this multi-posts, seems to be not showing up for me.

9. hunters are anti-wildlife cowards on July 13, 2013 at 2:47 PM said:

wolves manage the elk, deer, and moose year round. you hunters are cowards. you couldn’t kill anything without a gun or trap. Hunters are anti-wildlife COWARDS.

10. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM said:

This morning I couldn’t tell if I was ISP banned from this site or what, but here I go trying to post again. I read all of you calling hunters cowards and berating this girl for trapping, but hunters spend more time and money protecting animals than any hoplophobe anti-hunter will ever dream of. You want an animal to not go extinct; heres a hint: make people want to eat it or hunt it. Maybe this hasn’t occurred to a lot of you but people generally need a reason to save something, so let them have their reason for the greater good, even if you liberal punks can’t man up.

11. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM said:

Besides your trolling, you should perhaps read a book once in a while. ‘Try to kill wildlife with out a gun you spineless cowards.’ So you have no problem with bow hunting, just firearms? Hence proof of hoplophobia and or idiocy. I will argue no more, continue to whine and lie as a typical liberal would.

12. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM said:

Ironic, and I responded twice to point this out. But the girl was a trapper, not a hunter. So why raging against guns? She ‘had the courage’ to kill without a gun, you should be happy by your own statements.

13. hunters hate wildlife on July 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM said:

you’re a wildlife killing psychopathic coward.

14. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM said:

I said I wasn’t going to respond again, but hey, I lied. You brought a smile to my face and made me laugh with your typical childish reaction. Hunters kill all life, which is why it was all extinct before we invented fish and game. So since this is all a matrix and all life is dead, because cowardly hunters killed it, just take the pill and go back to your life. I love liberals I really do. And I do hate wildlife, those little critters out there eating up all my pretty plant life. We must kill them all simply because they won’t follow the vegan lifestyle. Wolves, mountain lions and bears amongst others should be slaughtered so that peaceful dear can sleep in peace. With all my heart I love you, your vein bursting thru your forehead tonight will bring a smile to my lips and make me sleep well. Good night my friend, good night.

15. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM said:

@Ammoland: I would prefer to not see any comments than to see trolls, including myself, but I can’t help it when you let liberal trolls call all hunters cowards on the site. So how bout some mediation, or just get rid of comments, but letting people so venomous come to your site and post comments that show up in the upper right corner of everyones browser whilst here is bad for your readers, whom you should want to enjoy your site. Just a thought, thanks.

16. hunters hate wildlife on July 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM said:

you are a coward you wildlife hating right wing extremist.

17. Do farmers kill the corn when they harvest it?Hunters pay ALL of the conservation money to protect animal habitat and harvest tags,It’s all for the control of herd sizes and to avoid starvation and disease.Hunters grow game.Get over it,what do you do but get hysterical over something you don’t understand.”THEY’RE KILLIN THE CORN,THE’RE KILLIN THE CORN”

18. Bill Baker on July 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM said:

You use that word a lot, but it does not mean what you think it means.

19. Before you condemn hunting and trapping, take a course in wildlife management. Sportsman’s dollars pay for habitat preservation. Not everyone wants new condos. Until the whiners pay up, they should shut up.

20. hunters love killing on July 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM said:

wildlife killing you mean? you hunters are anti-wildlife scum.

21. Bill Baker on July 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM said:

Troll, how ya been, I missed ya. Just get off work? I must admit I love killing. The thrill of the hunt, the time I put my hand around the body of the prey, then pull it out of the ground by the roots; damned dandelions anyway. I would have you know I am vastly pro wild life. I totally hope some wildlife shows up with the rumor of a Miley Cyrus tape being shopped around.

22. hunters are anti-wildlife cowards on July 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM said:

You are a psychopath and a coward. You need a gun to kill things. You’re not pro-wildlife you COWARD, you’re pro-killing wildlife. You are scum.

23. NY Hunter on July 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM said:

Humans have been around for about 75,000 years and not hunting is a new experiment so if you’re so keen on natural state of being and wildlife why are you against people doing something we have done for the entire existence of our species? Moreover, do you live in a house/apartment? Do you eat food from a super market or are you totally self sufficient? Don’t worry no animals were harmed or displaced for you to live your lifestyle. One more do you have K9’s(incisors) or did you grind those down to make mouth breathing easier?

24. Bill Baker on July 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM said:

@NY Hunter: Don’t bother, he is probably back in elementary school for the day, or if not, mommy will make him go out to play. Trying to use facts to argue with such an extremist liberal child is about as effective as beating your head with a tire iron so you can understand calculus better.
      @Ammoland: I see you deleted a couple of people that had flamed here, yet you let ‘hunters are anti-wildlife cowards’ continue unabated. Disappointing to force us to view the statements of such an unreasonable idiot.
      @the child: if you truly believe we are such cowards, I have posted my email address on the post about 3d guns and you may email me directly to get my home address where you can come to discuss this in person. I love you. Hugs and kisses.

25. hunters hate wildlife on July 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM said:

Trying to use facts with an extremist right wing POS as yourself is as effective as beating your head with a tire iron. You are a psychopathic coward and an anti-wildlife extremist.

26. Bill Baker on July 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM said:

POSitive person, awesome, thank you for the compliment. I truly hope you enjoy our little friendship as much as me. I live in Arco Idaho if you ever want to find me. I will be outside, hunting gophers like a psycho. I watch my dogs dig them up all day, they love to eat them. I prefer to cook them, but hey, unlike you; who am I to judge.
      I am happy mom let you have some computer time before dad comes home. I would miss you if she didn’t let you online once in a while.

27. NY Hunter on July 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM said:

I believe I did use generally accepted facts to argue with you, you imbecile. Did you know we pay a federal excise tax on all of our sporting goods purchases that fund federal wildlife lands and the EPA? Also, take for instance my state of NY, our licenses directly pay for the conservation fund, which pays for environmental accidents such as oil spill clean ups. Hopefully, some day soon your type will realize that because something is your opinion doesn’t make it right for everyone else. Now go eat your humus and have a frosty glass of soy milk before you lay you head down in that house that didn’t displace any wildlife and don’t worry chick peas always grew in those fields…. no animals were harmed in the writing of this post.