Michigan–(Ammoland.com)- The lives of the three more hunters are about to get a little busier in 2014.
The Pure Michigan Hunt brought to you by Michigan Outdoor News is entering its fifth hunting season this year. The latest winners – Bill Kring of Cadillac, Bruce Shaneour of Osseo and Frank Zrepskey of Algonac – will have a pocket full of hunting licenses and over $4,000 worth of hunting gear.
“I had a voicemail to call Russ Mason,” said Shaneour, who works in sales at Signature Ranch Collection. He returned that call to hear the DNR Wildlife Division chief explain that he is one of the lucky Pure Michigan Hunt winners. “I didn’t tell many people until I got the paperwork in the mail,” Shaneour added.
Zrepskey, now retired from the City of Detroit, said he was “one happy camper.” A member of the St. Clair Flats Waterfowlers, Zrepskey said he couldn’t believe he is a winner.
When Kring, the general manager at 9&10 News in Cadillac, got the phone call from Mason, he said, “All I could think is – are you kidding me?” Kring explained that he had heard about the Pure Michigan Hunt from a past winner in the area and thought he would buy five applications because it goes to a good cause.
Each $4 Pure Michigan Hunt application helps fund wildlife habitat restoration and management in Michigan.
Each winner receives elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, and antlerless deer licenses to be used in 2014. In addition, each winner – along with three hunting companions – will get first pick opening morning of the waterfowl season at any of Michigan’s premier Managed Waterfowl Hunt Areas. Shaneour, Zrepskey and Kring also won a package of gear donated by Michigan businesses and organizations:
- Lifetime subscription and more – Michigan Outdoor News
- Camouflage pop-up blind – Ameristep in Clio
- 12 gauge camouflage shotgun – Michigan Chapter of Ducks Unlimited
- Predator crossbow package – Darton Archery in Hale
- 30.06 rifle and memberships – Michigan Gun Owners
- Go Pro outdoor camera – St. Clair Flats Waterfowlers
- Quiver accessories – Kwikee Kwiver in Williamsburg
- Traps, DVDs, calls and more – Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association
- Turkey hunting gear – Michigan Chapter of National Wild Turkey Federation
- Herd monitoring kit – Michigan Chapter of Quality Deer Management Association
- $100 Cabelas gift card – Saginaw Field and Stream Club
- Made in the USA quilt-lined Realtree Xtra® jackets and bib overalls – Carhartt
- Gamehide vest and cap – Pheasants Forever
- Browning jacket and membership – Ruffed Grouse Society
- Waterfowl hunting gear – Michigan Duck Hunters Association
- Eberlestock team elk pack – Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Guided spring turkey hunt – East Lake Outfitters in Essexville
- Memberships – National and Mid-Michigan Chapter of Safari Club International
- Custom rear window graphic – Steel Skinz Graphics in Howell
- Custom waterfowl mount – Trophy Room Taxidermy Studio
The winners will be awarded their prizes officially at the next Natural Resources Commission meeting Feb. 13 in East Lansing.
Look to follow the winners’ 2014 adventures pursuing turkeys, bear, elk, deer and waterfowl with the DNR YouTube Pure Michigan Hunt winner series at www.michigan.gov/
Applications for the next Pure Michigan Hunt drawing will be available starting March 1.