About 1,100 competitors statewide take shots at top honors, trip to nationals.
HARRISBURG, PA –-(Ammoland.com)- The state National Archery in the Schools Program tournament held Friday in State College saw the biggest field of competitors in the tournament’s history – about 1,100 students from 41 schools throughout Pennsylvania.
The top teams and individuals who competed Friday at the Penn State Multi-Sport Facility have the chance to qualify for the NASP National Tournament to be held May 9 and 10 in Louisville, Ky. Qualification for the national tournament is based on total point values, and the names of those who will be moving on will be available at a later date.
New Castle Christian Academy, Team 1 came away with top team honors in the elementary school division (fourth and fifth grades) at Friday’s state tournament in State College. New Castle Christian Academy, Team 1 took first place in the middle-school category (sixth through eighth grades), while Halifax High School, Team 1 was the top-scoring high-school team.
Male competitors turning in the best individual performances were Cameron Harvey, of New Castle Christian Academy, in the elementary division, Justin Birtch, of Montrose Middle School, in the middle-school division and Ian Fillinger, of New Brighton High School, in the high-school division.
Female competitors taking first place honors were Olivia Goodlin, of New Castle Christian Academy, in the elementary division; Taylor Richardson, of New Castle Christian Academy, in the middle-school division and Fawne Hopfer, of Tunkhannock High School, in the high-school division.
Ian Fillinger and Fawne Hopfer finished, respectively, as the top male and female overall.
A complete list of team and individual results will be available Monday at www.nasptournaments.org. Scroll down and click on “2014 Pennsylvania NASP State Tournament.” Some expanded results also are available on the Pennsylvania NASP Facebook page.
Competition offers an exciting component for students participating in NASP, which serves to introduce archery to youth and promote archery as a sport that can be enjoyed for a lifetime.
NASP, which started in Kentucky in 2002 and has since gained participants around the globe, came to Pennsylvania in 2005. The Game Commission in 2010 began coordinating Pennsylvania’s NASP, which helps school districts in Pennsylvania meet physical-education curriculum requirements set by the state Department of Education.
And for the last three years, a growing number of students and schools have participated in the statewide tournament. About 800 students competed in the tournament last year.
Today, about 155 Pennsylvania schools participate in NASP.
To get NASP started in a Pennsylvania school, contact Samantha Pedder, at the Game Commission headquarters, at 717-787-4250 (ext. 3327). Also, “PA NASP” can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PennNASP.
The about 1,100 students who competed in the 2014 National Archery in the Schools Program Tournament in State College represented 41 different schools.
- ATHENS MIDDLE SCHOOL – EAST SMITHFIELD, PA
- BANGOR AREA HIGH SCHOOL – BANGOR, PA
- BANGOR AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL – BANGOR, PA
- BEAVER HIGH SCHOOL – BEAVER, PA
- BEAVER MIDDLE SCHOOL – BEAVER, PA
- BLUE RIDGE HIGH – NEW MILFORD, PA
- CAMERON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT – EMPORIUM, PA
- CENTRAL VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL – MONACA, PA
- CHOCONUT VALLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – CHOCONUT, PA
- DEFRANCO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – BANGOR, PA
- DONEGAL HIGH SCHOOL – MOUNT JOY, PA
- FAIRFIELD HIGH SCHOOL – FAIRFIELD, PA
- FOREST HILLS SCHOOL DISTRICT – SIDMAN, PA
- GILLINGHAM CHARTER SCHOOL – POTTSVILLE, PA
- GROVE CITY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY – GROVE CITY, PA
- HALIFAX HIGH SCHOOL – HALIFAX, PA
- HARRISBURG CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – HARRISBURG, PA
- JOHNSONBURG AREA HIGH SCHOOL – JOHNSONBURG, PA
- LATHROP STREET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – MONTROSE, PA
- LAUREL HIGH SCHOOL – NEW CASTLE, PA
- LENAPE TECHNICAL SCHOOL – FORD CITY, PA
- MILLERSBURG HIGH SCHOOL – MILLERSBURG, PA
- MILLERSBURG MIDDLE SCHOOL – MILLERSBURG, PA
- MONTROSE HIGH SCHOOL – MONTROSE, PA
- MONTROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL – MONTROSE, PA
- NEW BRIGHTON HIGH SCHOOL – NEW BRIGHTON, PA
- NEW CASTLE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY – NEW CASTLE, PA
- NORTHERN BEDFORD SCHOOL DISTRICT – LOYSBURG, PA
- PHOENIXVILLE AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL – PHOENIXVILLE, PA
- PINE GROVE AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL – PINE GROVE, PA
- PORTERSVILLE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL – PORTERSVILLE, PA
- SHEFFIELD AREA MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL – SHEFFIELD, PA
- ST. VITUS SCHOOL – NEW CASTLE, PA
- SUMMIT CHRISTIAN ACADEMY – SOUTH ABINGTON, PA
- THE SWAIN SCHOOL – ALLENTOWN, PA
- TUNKHANNOCK HIGH SCHOOL – TUNKHANNOCK, PA
- TUNKHANNOCK AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL – TUNKHANNOCK, PA
- TUNKHANNOCK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – TUNKHANNOCK, PA
- UPPER DAUPHIN AREA MIDDLE SCHOOL – LYKENS, PA
- WILLIAMS VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL – TOWER CITY, PA
- WINDBER AREA HIGH SCHOOL – WINDBER, PA