Form proves Schatzman collected private employment information on applicants.
North Carolina –-(Ammoland.com)- The Grass Roots North Carolina Political Victory Fund supports David Griffith for Forsyth County Sheriff because incumbent William T. Schatzman is one of a number of sheriffs around the state who have unlawfully imposed extra requirements on concealed handgun permit (CHP) applicants in violation of N.C.G.S. 14-415.4, which stipulates a standardized statewide application process.
Recently, a member of the “Sheriff's Citizens Patrol” responded to a GRNC-PVF mailing by distributing a letter (http://grnc.org/documents/Miller_Letter_Schatzman.pdf) which accuses GRNC of perpetrating a “flat out falsehood” when it said Schatzman demanded employer information from CHP applicants in violation of the law.
Accordingly, GRNC has now published all documents related to Schatzman's law-breaking, including the original form demanding employment information as well as the newer “voluntary” employment information form which replaced it only after a GRNC alert targeting Schatzman at: http://grnc.org/schatzmanviolateslaw
Statement from GRNC president Paul Valone:
“Recently, we've received dozens of complaints about sheriffs who violate the law by obstructing concealed handgun permit applications. The GRNC Political Victory Fund action against Forsyth County Sheriff William Schatzman is intended to deliver a message that when it comes the re-election prospects of sheriffs who break the law, there is a new sheriff in town.”
Timeline of GRNC response to complaints about Schatzman:
- August, 2011: GRNC receives member complaint received Forsyth County is requiring concealed handgun permit applicants to provide full employer information, including the name, address and phone number of the applicant's employer.
- September 1, 2011: GRNC president Paul Valone sends fax to Sheriff Schatzman, including the employment form printed from the Forsyth County Sheriff Office (FCSO) website, notifying him of his non-compliance with N.C.G.S. 14-415.4.
- September 8, 2011: Valone speaks at length with Davida Martin of the Forsyth County legal counsel's office, who directed him to Kevin McGuckin. Valone then leaves detailed message for McGuckin.
- September 21, 2011: After both fax and phone message are ignored by FCSO (the former for 20 days), Valone again phones McGuckin, this time reaching him at 3:00 PM. When apprised of the situation, McGuckin replies “We’ll take that under advisement.” When Valone explains that failure to remove the form will result in legal action, McGuckin says, “Goodbye” and hangs up.
- September 22, 2011: GRNC issues alert targeting Schatzman for requiring employment information: http://www.grnc.org/grnc-alerts-archive/107-forsyth-county-sheriff-in-violation-of-gun-law
- September 27, 2011: GRNC board member advises Valone that the link for the employment form is still on FCSO website. However, when Valone checks the site he discovers that a new form has been placed there without notice. The new form does not require name of employer and clearly says that providing the information is “voluntary.”
- September 28, 2011: GRNC issues update to members noting that FCSO has complied with the letter (but not the spirit) of the law: http://www.grnc.org/defend-your-rights/recent-grnc-updates/117-grnc-update-9-28-11-forsyth-sheriff-complies
- March 1, 2012: GRNC issues alert targeting Schatzman for placing arbitrary time limits on required training for CHPs in violation of state law: http://www.grnc.org/grnc-alerts-archive/593-forsyth-countys-rino-sheriff-william-t-schatzman-deploys-fascist-tactics-in-order-to-violate-nc-law
Description of documents provided at link above:
- · Sept. 1, 2011 notification letter from Valone to Schatzman
- · Fax transmission report for notification letter
- · Original Forsyth employment form
- · Sept. 8, 2011 email exchange about message left for McGuckin
- · Sept. 27, 2011 email from GRNC board member noting that form still on FCSO website
- · Sept. 27, 2011 email from Valone to GRNC board member noting that form had been changed to reflect “voluntary”
Additional obstructions to CHP applications
The “Sheriff's Citizens Patrol” writer also claimed the GRNC-PVF mailing against Schatzman was incorrect in saying that FCSO obstructed issuance of CHPs, however:
- Even the writer admitted that FCSO shortened the time of day in which it processed CHP applications from a full business day to the period 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM while most other departments place no such limits.
- On March 1, 2012, GRNC issued an alert after receiving complaints that Schatzman was placing an arbitrary “expiration date” on training courses required to obtain permits, even though state law has no such limit under N.C.G.S. 14-415.12 — another clear violation of law. This alert is available at: http://www.grnc.org/grnc-alerts-archive/593-forsyth-countys-rino-sheriff-william-t-schatzman-deploys-fascist-tactics-in-order-to-violate-nc-law
The documentation above clearly demonstrates that Sheriff William Schatzman first violated state law by requiring concealed handgun permit applicants to supply potentially intimidating employer information, including contact information for employers, then stonewalled when notified of the department's non-compliance. Telephone contacts to the Schatzman's legal representatives were met with hostility, including hanging up on GRNC president Paul Valone. Only after an alert directed hundreds of contacts to Schatzman did the department grudgingly comply by replacing the form with one which indicates completion is “voluntary.”
Schatzman continued to obstruct concealed handgun permit issuance, however, first by restricting permit applications to only three hours per day, then by refusing to accept valid training certificates from applicants. Grass Roots North Carolina stands by all of the statements about Schatzman made in the GRNC Political Victory Fund mailings and emails sent to Forsyth County voters.
About: Grass Roots North Carolina is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to preserving the freedoms guaranteed us by the Bill of Rights. Our main focus is the right to keep and bear arms. GRNC was central to drafting and passing North Carolina's concealed handgun law and since that time has continued to push for improvements to gun laws. Visit:www.grnc.org