By John Lott
A note on mass victim knife attacks: a single, very small 16 year old was able to wound at least 24 people with a knife in just 5 minutes
Franklin Regional High School near Pittsburgh, PA was the site of a horrific scene on Wednesday April 9th 2014 with “at least 24” injured, including 5 critically wounded.
But the carnage, which was done in about five minutes, could have been worse.
Fortunately, the attacker in this case also seemed not to understand how to properly use the knife, usually slashing his victims. In addition, at least one life was saved by another of the victims: “A surgeon came out and congratulated one of the victims by saying she had saved the person’s life by applying pressure to the person’s wound.”
The attacker was very small physically, with him described as “a 16-year-old kid who looks like he’s 10.”
Guns obviously make it easier for people to kill others, though they also make it easier for people to defend themselves. Still the harm that can be caused from knife attacks within a very short period of time, even by someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, as can be seen by looking at some cases of multiple victim knife attacks from China. (This analysis is not meant to be complete as we only spent a short time putting this together, though if people know of other cases, I would appreciate hearing about them.)
For the average multiple victim Chinese knife attack since 2010: 4.4 people were killed, and 14.5 injured.
Excluding the Kunming Railway Station attack the average is: 3.1 people killed and 8.6 injured.
If you look at all the cases where at least 4 people were harmed the average attack had: 4.7 people killed and 15.8 injured.
- March 28, 2014: 7 injured, with 2 (a woman and four year old boy) seriously injured. The attack occurred on the outskirts of Qinzhou city, in the Guangxi province.
- March 27, 2014: 6 were stabbed to death and 7 injured over a property dispute in Beijing.
- March 14, 2014: Knife attack in Changsha market leaves 6 dead.
- March 1, 2014: 33 people killed and 143 wounded by a group of knife wielding men at the Kunming Railway Station in Yunnan province.
- August 26, 2013: 4 dead and 11 injured by a single attacker along Chengdu’s Caojia Alley.
- August 20, 2013: 3 killed and at least 12 injured in a knife attack on a bus in the central Henan province.
- July 31, 2013: 11 were injured in a knife attack on a bus in Hong Kong.
- July 29 2013: 3 people stabbed to death, 5 injured in Shenzhen, in the Guangdong province. Killer randomly attacked people people along the line the side of a road.
- July 26, 2013: 5 people killed and 3 wounded in a knife attack in Luohe city in Henan province. After first stabbing people in the village the attack continued in a furniture shop where two more people were killed.
- July 22, 2013: Knife attack in a store in Beijing’s Xicheng district leaves 1 dead, 3 wounded.
- July 19, 2013: A knife wielding man killed two people at a shopping mall in downtown Beijing. This was probably reported because one of the two murder victims was an American.
- May 22 2013: 7 injured (six primary school students and a woman) with a cleaver at a primary school in the Maoming city government in the southern province of Guangdong.
- December 14, 2012: Stabbed 23 children and an elderly woman at the village’s primary school as children were arriving for classes
- August 2, 2012: Teenager killed 9 and wounded 4 in Yongling town.
- January 20, 2012: Seven people were injured, two seriously, in a knife attack Thursday in the city of Zhongshan in south China’s Guangdong Province.
- September 14, 2011: 6 killed (two young girls and four adults) near a nursery in Gongyi.
- August 30, 2011: 8 children injured at a child-care centre in Minhang District, Shanghai.
- August 4, 2010: 4 killed (3 children and one teacher) and about 20 other children wounded at a kindergarten in Zibo, Shandong province.
- May 12, 2010: Seven children and two adults were killed and 11 other persons wounded with a cleaver at a kindergarten in Hanzhong, Shaanxi.
- April 30, 2010: 28 students, 2 teachers, and one security guard were wounded in a knife attack in a Jiangsu province kindergarten.
- April 29, 2010: 16 students and a teacher were wounded at an elementary school in southern Guangdong province.
- March 31, 2010: “A man killed a young woman and injured two other people in a knife attack at a university campus in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, officials said Wednesday.”
- March 23, 2010: 9 children murdered with a knife at an elementary school in Nanpign, Fujian province.
AmmoLand Editors Note: John Lott is the founder of the Crime Prevention Research Center, the leading organization standing between the flood of bogus anti gun research and your rights. Please support the CPRC. Donate today: http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/donate/
About John R Lott:
John R. Lott, Jr. iis an economist and was formerly chief economist at the United States Sentencing Commission. Lott is also a leading expert on guns and the op-eds produced on that issue are done in conjunction with the Crime Prevention Research Center. He is the author of eight books including “More Guns, Less Crime.” His latest book is “Dumbing Down the Courts: How Politics Keeps the Smartest Judges Off the Bench” Bascom Hill Publishing Group (September 17, 2013). Follow him on [email protected].