Today is Monday, July 28, 2014rss RSS feed

By Dean Weingarten

Repeal Gun Free Zones

Repeal Gun Free Zones

Dean Weingarten

Dean Weingarten

Arizona - -(Ammoland.com)-
In a scenario that has recurred all over the nation, a restaurant in Georgia briefly put up a “NO GUNS” sign, became educated, and took it down.  This is the usual course of events that has occurred as antiquated gun laws have been reformed.   Georgia recently passed  a bill that reformed one of the last laws in the nation that forbid armed citizens from eating in restaurants that also serve alcohol.  Louisiana passed a similar reform shortly after, becoming the 50th state in the nation to have this freedom.   From wrdw.com in Augusta, Georgia:

“I come up and see a sign on your door that says you don’t allow weapons, I’m going to honor your sign, but then I’m also not going to come into your establishment,” that’s how Jennifer Seymour feels about a no gun rule that was recently reversed by T-Bonz steakhouse.

Jennifer sent an email to the restaurant, who then reconsidered their position:

The restaurant’s Facebook page says the sign was meant for irresponsible gun owners, but then realized a sign wouldn’t really stop careless carriers.

I watched this same scenario play out in Arizona, and  then across the nation.  As people stop to think about firearms and real situations, they stop reacting emotionally to the bombastic hypotheticals put forward by those pushing for more restrictions on armed citizens.  Then logic kicks in and they do the responsible thing.   The signs come down.
c2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included. Link to Gun Watch

About Dean Weingarten;

Dean Weingarten has been a peace officer, a military officer, was on the University of Wisconsin Pistol Team for four years, and was first certified to teach firearms safety in 1973. He taught the Arizona concealed carry course for fifteen years until the goal of constitutional carry was attained. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering, and recently retired from the Department of Defense after a 30 year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation.

Ammoland Click to read AmmoLand FTC Marital Disclosures Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.
  • 8 User comments to “Georgia Restaurant Changes Mind, Welcomes Gun Carriers”

1. HBHTEX on May 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM said:

Now these people are showing some smarts ! I think you will see alot more of this around the country !

2. Chuck on May 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM said:

If these people are told that their business will be boycotted by concealed weapons carriers they will change their tune. Back in the 90′s the NRA had a thing going where if you told them who had gun ban signs up in your town, they would notify them and tell them what to expect. Of course you had to be an NRA member, but it got the job done. I reported a few and the next time I went there the sign was gone.

3. Jon Olenick on May 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM said:

A ” No gun zone” tells the “bad guys” that it is open season on a group of people who are unable to defend themselves. Jon

4. whaddacrock on May 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM said:

A month of so ago, I went into a Jared’s in the Dallas area to purchase a ring. They have the requisite legal notice at the front door to preclude legal firearms from the store and have an armed guard at the front door. When I was ready to leave, I went to the manager, showed him my empty holster and told him that, while it is his legal right to post such a sign, it is also my right to no longer do business with his establishment. As I got back in my car, I noticed he was at the front door, pointing at me and talking to the guard. I suspect I’m not welcome in that establishment anymore!! I thought “If they were to be robbed while I was outside the store, not only would I NOT interfere, I’d hold the door for the robbers!

5. TXGnr1911 on May 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM said:

As on with a CHL that carries daily everywhere I go I don’t see issues here. In Texas, there are specific requirement that must be met if one is not allowed to carry concealed in the establishment. If I want to go into an establishment that has the sign similar to the one shown with this article, I simply ignore it. The whole point to concealed carry is the concealed part. If I go in and do my business and make sure that my handgun is kept concealed, no one is the wise that I am armed. On the other hand, should the situation arise while in such a location where it was necessary for the protection of myself or bystanders and I had to present my handgun to stop a potentially lethal threat, I have a hard time believing that if I am able to thwart a bad guy that the owner/manager is going to admonish me for doing so. Such an event may even have a positive result by the establishment removing the sign. Again, concealed is exactly what is is, concealed and no one even knows you’re carrying.

6. TXGnr1911 on May 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM said:

Please excuse the typos in my previous comment. I am a much better shooter than I am a typist.

7. james on May 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM said:

Common mall areas often have no firearms decals on the glass doors but the anchor stores like JCP, Macy’s, etc etc do not. If you enter from the anchor store you are OK since you did not see the decals. If they ask me to leave I will be happy to do so.

The Durham, NC restaurant is in the news this week after being robbed at gunpoint by three armed men (video surveillance confirmed two were armed) and having no firearms on front door.

8. oldshooter on May 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM said:

Just to clarify something TXGnr1911 said about the sign shown with this article:
      In TX where he and I live and carry, this sign would not be in accordance with the state’s concealed carry law. Here in TX, the exact size, wording, contrast, etc. of a sign banning concealed carry on the premises, is specified in paragraph 30.06 of the law, hence it is known as a “30.06 Sign,” and the sign shown above would not meet the requirements at all. Thus, in TX, this sign has no legal force and would not actually ban CHL holders from carrying on the premises.

The issue is of more than passing interest because there are places (our San Antonio libraries are among them, for instance) where the signs are used with the (foolish) intention of banning guns carried by those who have not been trained in state law, as CHL licensee’s have been. When I pointed out to the city attorney here, that the signs on our libraries 1) don’t conform to the required elements of the law, and, 2) that the state preemption law forbids banning licensed concealed carry in public places like libraries anyway, he agreed that I was right, but refused to have the signs taken down. This was apparently on the assumption that they might prevent someone who was already ILLEGALLY carrying concealed, from carrying into the library. Go figure.
      Anyway, if TXGnr1911 or I carried concealed in spite of the type of sign shown above, we would not be in violation of the law.