Today is Thursday, August 21, 2014rss RSS feed

By AWR Hawkins

Leo Hindery Jr

Leo Hindery Jr: the Man Behind Guns & Ammo Mag, Sportsman Channel is Democrat Fundraiser

AmmoLand Gun News

AmmoLand Gun News

Washington DC - -(Ammoland.com)-  Leo Hindery Jr. is a Democrat-fundraiser and donor whose private equity firm owns InterMedia Outdoors, which publishes Guns & Ammo magazine and the Sportsman Channel.

His equity firm also publishes Rifle Shooter, Shooting Times, and Handguns.

According to Politico, Hindery “personally contributed more than $1 million to the Democratic National Committee Campaign under [former Senate majority leader] Tom Daschle’s (D) leadership.” He was a top fundraiser for Daschle and “a top supporter of former Sen. John Edward’s White House bid.”

In November 2013, The New York Times listed Hindery, George Soros, and Rob Reiner, as part of a group of donors who signed a letter asking Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) to reform laws to make all state elections publicly funded. NYT then quoted Brigham Young University political scientist David B. Magleby as saying, “These are the kinds of donors a Cuomo candidacy for presidency will need.”

Earlier in 2013 the NYT asked Hindery his views on the reform of gun laws and he said: “I believe in appropriate restrictions–that’s just my personal view.”

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins

About:
AWR Hawkins writes for all the BIG sites, for Pajamas Media, for RedCounty.com, for Townhall.com and now AmmoLand Shooting Sports News.

His southern drawl is frequently heard discussing his take on current events on radio shows like America’s Morning News, the G. Gordon Liddy Show, the Ken Pittman Show, and the NRA’s Cam & Company, among others. He was a Visiting Fellow at the Russell Kirk Center for Cultural Renewal (summer 2010), and he holds a PhD in military history from Texas Tech University.

If you have questions or comments, email him at awr@awrhawkins.com. You can find him on facebook at www.facebook.com/awr.hawkins.

• 18 User comments to “Man Behind Guns & Ammo Mag, Sportsman Channel is Democrat Fundraiser”

1. Great, so our subscription money is being used against us. That sucks! What other gun magazines can we move our dollars to instead? Even shotgun News is owned by Intermedia.

I Remember that flim-flam man Tom Daschle as well. He is the guy who brought us high food prices, high meat prices, by pushing for the ethanol mandate in fuels thus raising the cost of corn-fed anything.

2. K Burket on May 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM said:

Try Guns Magazine and American Handgunner form Publishers Development Corp.,San Diego, Ca. Both Excellent mags.

3. Cuomo,president of what ?

4. swampsniper on May 21, 2014 at 4:25 AM said:

“Appropriate”? Who gets to define it?

5. TSgt B on May 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM said:

Time to put this bastard out of business.

6. D. Murphy on May 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM said:

Amazing!! Being sold out by those we thought were our own!! My hope is now that this has been esposed, everyone stops watching or buying his products.

7. Janek on May 21, 2014 at 7:45 AM said:

Trust no one, especially 1%’ers!

8. oldgringo on May 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM said:

The morale of this story is: Never trust a Democrat with anything…If there’s money to be made…They will sell out anyone to include gun owners to the highest bidder…Not caring if their money is being used to destroy our second amendment rights, i.e…Our freedoms as quaranteed us by our Americn Bill of Rights of our US Constitution…Their hypocracy knows no boundaries…With the most evil of them all being George Soros…There are scores of em out there…All of whom I have labeled as CommieCRats!

9. This solution is an easy one. First, pass the word around to all your buddies. Second, you and them inform advertisers of these publications and shows of this exact AMMOLAND post, date title and site for them to go to to check. Third, kill your subscription and ask for a return on your money balance (subscriptions are critical for establishing their advertising rates and some of those magazines are audited –so they cannot lie to advertisers). However, the advertisers are the main point to inform–most will get it quickly and they will pull out.

10. Cancel the Guns & Ammo subscription and either join the NRA or if already a member, subscribe to another NRA magazine.

11. Murrey Gropp on May 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM said:

I identify with this guy as I am a moderate who loves guns and I have a concealed carry permit as well that I highly value. The problem is that I don’t trust the gun control people because I don’t feel like they are for appropriate anything and they have not been honest about what their true intentions and goals are which I believe is complete disarmament of the public. The ability to posses firearms is one of the things that makes us uniquely American and free. At some point, we have got to find a way forward that is pleasing to both sides because like it or not, the demographics of the voters in this country are changing and there will be a time period in the not so distant future where very conservative republicans will not be electable due to the changing demographics and their impact on the electoral college. Once Texas goes blue, the democrats will very likely control the presidency. The republicans will probably control the House of Reps and the senate is anybody’s guess. So instead of calling everyone nasty names why not get serious about the future and start trying to find a real world acceptable way forward for all people who value gun ownership and personal defense? There are a lot of conservative democrats in this country like myself who are proud NRA members and we are not communists and all the other ridiculous monikers that are hurled our wa.y Instead of getting nothing done, at some point there has to be a way forward for the majority in the middle because that is where the work and progress in this country will be made. Politics has gotten way to ugly. There are good people on both sides and respect and honor needs to be returned to the process from everyone or the future is grim.

12. james on May 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM said:

It is his money so let him spend it as he likes.
      Magazine and media revenue aside, he already had large amount of wealth.

13. james on May 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM said:

Waste of good money.

“a top supporter of former Sen. John Edward’s White House bid.”

14. JGROUND on May 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM said:

I agree with Murrey. If asked to pick sides, I would align myself with Democrats more often than not, but I don’t agree with everything they stand for. There are plenty of people like me who are socially liberal, like hunting/guns and the outdoors etc… Instead of opting to view anyone who doesn’t see 100% eye to eye on an issue, what if you channel that energy into electing politicians who better represent your position, or who are not active working against them. Viewing all Democrats (especially ones like Tom Daschle who are avid hunters, and decidedly pro-gun) as enemies of gun ownership is shortsighted and isn’t going to add anything to the discussions adults are having.

15. tenringrob on May 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM said:

The Sportsman’s channel carries Cam and company. That’s the NRA’s show. Conflict of Interest. Do they know?

16. timmeh on May 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM said:

Plenty of Liberals with guns. Me being one. In fact most Dems I know own guns orlike guns. Just like the tea party are a loud minority, some liberal ultra lefties are just as loud and also a minority.

17. DrSique on May 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM said:

Really glad that I allowed my subscription to G&A run out some time back. I recently picked up a new mag called RECOIL that I would highly recommend, along with any of those from Tactical Life. MOLON LABE

18. […] two things that are refreshing in this Internet age. The reader pointed me to an article on Ammoland.com which confirms that the Sportsman Channel is owned by a private equity firm, which is in turn was […]