BERRYVILLE, Ark. --(Ammoland.com)- A new Industry Intelligence Report based on the results of a survey conducted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) and the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) shows that U.S. IDPA members deliver significant economic impact by spending upwards of $30 million annually on shooting equipment for the sport.
The report, titled Profile of International Defensive Pistol Association Shooters, provides a look at the target shooting-related habits and expenditures of IDPA’s U.S. members. In addition to the $30 million spent annually by IDPA shooters on their sport, the report shows that approximately 91% of members hold a concealed carry permit while 14% are concealed carry instructors in their state.
“Thanks to the help of the research team at the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the firearms industry now has a clear, in-depth look at the profile of a typical U.S. IDPA member. Competitive shooters represent some of the most active purchasers when it comes to firearms and related gear, and this new Industry Intelligence Report from NSSF bears that out,” said Joyce Wilson, executive director of IDPA.
“NSSF’s research into the habits of recreational target shooters shows that their economic impact is considerable. When we delve further into the pool of target shooters and look at those dedicated to competition, as we have with the IDPA shooter, we find that recreational shooting is very much a lifestyle and the resulting economic impact is substantial,” said NSSF Research Coordinator Dianne Vrablic, who headed up this project.
In addition to the overall $30 million economic impact of IDPA’s U.S. members, the report also shows that:
- More than six in 10 IDPA members indicated that they are likely to purchase a handgun in the coming year.
- More than six in 10 respondents indicated that they reload ammunition, primarily for handgun and rifle. A smaller percent age of participants also reload for shotgun.
- More than seven in 10 respondents are members of a shooting range and pay an average annual membership fee of $163.
- More than 5 in 10 IDPA members surveyed indicated that they compete in IDPA events 6 to 20 times per year, with 14 events being the average number of IDPA matches/events attended annually.
- Based on the responses from IDPA members, the average amount of estimated 2013 expenditures for competitive shooting equipment totaled $1,580.83. Equipment includes firearms, accessories, reloading equipment and components.
- IDPA shooters participate in other shooting disciplines such as USPSA, steel, 3-gun, trap/skeet, sporting clays, long-range shooting, silhouette, zombie target shooting, Cowboy Action Shooting and more.
- While IDPA members shop in a wide variety of locations for shooting-related merchandise, the top two locations indicated in this survey were “online” (7 in 10 respondents) and “independent gun store” (5 in 10 respondents).
To download the full NSSF Industry Intelligence Report, Profile of International Defensive Pistol Association Shooters, visit this website. For more information on IDPA or to become a members, visit www.IDPA.com.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 10,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers. For more information, visit www.nssf.org.
About International Defensive Pistol Association:
Founded in 1996, the International Defensive Pistol Association is the international governing body for IDPA competition which offers shooters a fun, safe, and challenging format to practice and test their gun handling skills through defensive-based scenarios. Today IDPA stands as the fastest growing shooting sport in the United States with nearly 24,000 members from all 50 states and 54 foreign countries. IDPA’s 300 affiliated clubs offer weekly and monthly matches as well as host major championships.