Nebraska Residents May Apply for Big Game Draw Units April 20th, 2009

Nebraska Residents May Apply for Big Game Draw Units April 20th, 2009

LINCOLN, Neb. – Nebraska residents may begin applying for big game draw unit hunting permits on April 20. Draw units comprise the following: all antelope firearm and muzzleloader permits, all elk units and Desoto December and Republican firearm deer permits. One application is allowed per person per species.

This application period closes on May 1. Beginning June 8, residents and nonresidents may purchase any remaining antelope or deer permits and residents may purchase any remaining elk permits.

All application/purchase periods begin on the first day at 1 p.m. Central Time. All applications must be received by the Commission by 5 p.m. Central Time on the final day of the period.

Draw units are determined by the overall demand on a unit’s permits. They are done to provide equal opportunity to obtain permits in the units. Applicants must apply for a specific draw unit during the draw unit application period.

All other units are buy units. They are units that typically don’t sell out quickly or have an unlimited number of permits available. Buy units are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. They may be purchased at during applicable periods or at Commission permitting offices.

For more information, check out the 2009 Nebraska Big Game Guide, available at