South Dakota Mountain Lion Meetings Planned
PIERRE, S.D. –-(AmmoLand.com)- The Game, Fish and Parks Department will be on the road over the next few weeks visiting with South Dakota citizens about mountain lions.
“We are in the process of updating South Dakota’s mountain lion management plan,” Tony Leif, GFP Wildlife Division director said. “An important early step in that process is to gather public input.”
Leif said that GFP staff will travel to several locations around the state in March and April to hold information gathering meetings. The information will be worked into a draft mountain lion management plan in April and then made available to the public for a 30-day comment period. The management plan will be finalized in time for the August GFP Commission meeting when the mountain lion hunting season will be proposed.
“Not only will this be an opportunity for the public to provide input, but also our staff will have details from research on mountain lions we have completed over the past few years,” Leif said.
Meeting locations and times will be posted on the GFP Web site at www.sdgfp.info under “What’s New.”
- Spearfish – Mar. 22, 6-8 p.m. at the Holiday Inn
- Sioux Falls – Mar. 23, 7-9 p.m. at The Outdoor Campus
- Yankton – Mar. 24, 7-9 p.m. at the Archery Center
- Mitchell – Mar. 25, 7-9 p.m. at the MTI Tech Center
- Hot Springs – Mar. 29, 7-9 p.m. at the Mueller Center
- Buffalo – Mar. 30, 6-8 p.m. at the Buffalo Rec. Center
- Custer – Mar. 31, 7-9 p.m. at the County Annex Building
- Rapid City, Apr. 1, 7-9 p.m. at the Best Western Ramkota
- Aberdeen, Apr. 12, 7-9 p.m. at the Ramada
- Winner, Apr. 13, 7-9 p.m. at the Holiday Inn
- Pierre, Apr. 14, 7-9 p.m. at the Chamber of Commerce