PETA Agrees Trap Neuter Release is Bad for Cats

PETA Agrees Trap Neuter Release is Bad for Cats
Rarely do we find ourselves agreeing with PETA of all people and we still have vast disagreements, but on rare occasions the mysteries of the cosmos align and common sense prevails.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Norfolk, VA –-(Ammoland.com)- We have long stated that Trap Neuter and Release (TNR) is cruel for animals and the plague of feral cats on the environment is devastating to the natural wildlife, especially game birds, small mammals and reptiles.

In a past feature article titled “TNR for Feral Cats is Horribly Cruel” we looked at primary problems of TNR.

• Feral Cats Are an Invasive Species:
  • Feral Cats Spread Rabies:
  • Feral Cats in the Wild is Animal Cruelty:

Now PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, agrees and has posted a fact sheet on their website in support of removing feral cats fro the environment: “Feral Cats: Trapping Is the Kindest Solution

Some important information from the PETA fact sheet:

“An estimated 70 million feral cats… Although ferals are fearful of humans, they are still members of a domesticated species, and they are ill-equipped to survive on their own. Feral cats do not die of “old age.””

“feral cats can pose a threat to wildlife. In 2002, a colony of rare native Hawaiian sea birds was all but destroyed by feral cats: Over the span of two weeks, nearly 100 birds were killed. The American Bird Conservancy estimates that free-roaming cats kill millions of birds every year and that “for every bird they kill, they kill at least three other animals.”

“Because of the huge number of feral cats and the severe shortage of good homes, the difficulty of socialization, and the dangers lurking where most feral cats live, it may be necessary—and the most compassionate choice—to euthanize feral cats.”

“Please do not allow the prospect of euthanasia to deter you from trapping feral cats. If you leave them where they are, they will almost certainly die a painful death. A painless injection is far kinder than any fate that feral cats will meet if they are left to survive on their own.”

It is rare that we find ourselves in agreement with PETA, but on the subject of feral cats PETA is 100% correct.

Please do everything you can to prevent towns from buying into the failed idea of TNR. It is expensive, horribly cruel for the cats and leads to widespread destruction of the local wildlife, especial game bird populations.

TNR IS bad for Cats and even worse for the environment.

Mishell capra
Mishell capra

your first bullet point: “Feral cats are an invasive species”- this is why TNR is so good it lowers the ferrel cat population without putting them in captivity. your second bullet point: “Feral cats spread rabies”- that is why we vaccinate our TNR cats as well. Your last bullet point:”feral cats in the wild is animal cruelty”- duh, these cats were born wild. Do you actually think that they would be more happy in a cage in a shelter? Or even a house? they need space. as for them getting hit by a car-yeah it happens. the point is not… Read more »

stephanie
stephanie

Someone one on my block is putting cat traps up I have 7 cats I love them as they were a part of my family they have there shots and have been neutered/spayed. They deserve to have fresh air and enjoy the earth just because some people out there are so about them selves they don’t think that animals desereve there freedom because they do. The smell of fresh air, flowers chasing bugs that sounds so viscous “do these poor babies deserve this?

stephanie
stephanie

I do understand but dogs are a little different you can’t lease a cat have you tried I am a complete cat lover and will admit I’ve tried. You can make a great yard and contain a yard for a dog but there is no fence or blockage for a cat other than stuffing them in the house .u can walk a dog go places etc.. A cat not so much so let them chase the bugs , roll around in the dirt , try and be sweet they don’t hurt a single person.

Hayley Ballis
Hayley Ballis
Reply to  stephanie

Wow how cruel can you get that’s a punishable offence you know letting your dog roam loose to attack cats.

Mark Jacobs
Mark Jacobs
Reply to  stephanie

I’m sure your one of those thoughtful outdoor cat owners who clean up the cat poop that your cat deposits on our yards and driveways. I don’t appreciate your cat on my property period!!!! I’d feel the same way if you had a dog.

Brian
Brian

I have live in an area filled with people who feed cats . I am over run with rats and raccoons , I cannot keep my dog away from these feeders , They made threats against my dog.. to kill my dog….I hate these people …I have tried everything to prevent my dog from running down the street to this house.. They have called animal control on me because of it ..There must be some way I can fight back. My fence is secure , but on occasion people visit and it gets opened .. My dog can slip a… Read more »

GOD
GOD

Humas should be neutered, this will improve the earth’s climate lmao,,,

Julianna Agardi
Julianna Agardi

… and we are waiting our letters !

jenn
jenn

Anyone who is pro trap “fix” and release of cats is for the depeletion and possible extinction of indigenous species. Anyone who is pro “t-n-r” wants cats to suffer a horrible death and the spread of disease. Duh…why don’t we start t-n-r programs for pitbulls…..why not neuter lifers in prison and set them free ???? there needs to be a line drawn with compassion….I see PETA finally has (((OMG))).

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  jenn

Humans in prison is completely different than a cat and bull dogs ” still a little different cats do not hurt people or still etc…. There animals ” my cats are so smart. And so sweet but they can’t help that people out there feel that there threats we eat cow pig etc… So are we going to cause them to go extinct cats eat birds mice that’s what there supposed to eat as animals it’s part of a cycle

Kristen
Kristen
Reply to  jenn

I am a veterinary technician and have been working in the spay and neuter business for a long time. It’s what I wanted to do ever since I moved to the south and was made aware of the overpopulation problem with feral cats. It is personally offensive to read that being a supporter of TNR reduces me to an animal abusing, problem causing piece of crap. From living and working in different cities I have seen with my own eyes what specific problems exist and what solutions work based on what is actually going on, not presumably. When we talk… Read more »

David K Dunsmore
David K Dunsmore
Reply to  Kristen

AMEN! The mic has hit the floor.

Jim
Jim

I believe PETA and AmmoLand have succumbed to the political correctness cadre. When political correct liberals don’t like guns, they don’t want anyone to have them and when conservative people don’t like guns, they don’t purchase them. When liberals don’t like newborn humans they prefer to abort them at any point during pregnancy. They never practice any kind of rational means to help prevent a problem through education, abstinence, or common sense. It’s always to kill the result of misinformed behavior. I wonder if there are any stats on the usefulness of outright capture and kill over TNR? But then… Read more »

Jeannette Bonomo
Jeannette Bonomo

Totally true. Cats are a domestic species and should be kept indoors or supervised while outside. We don’t just release feral dogs, or pigs, so why should we do it with cats? Native wildlife has not developed the mechanisms to live alongside non-native predator species. This causes an imbalance and can decimate local wildlife populations. Native predator-prey fluctuations are normal and maintain an ecological balance and biodiversity. No balance can exist between domestic cats (an exotic species) and native wildlife in the environment. Reabandonment of these cats through TNR is abuse and mis-treatment of the cats. It is even worse… Read more »

Angela
Angela

But lets not forget PETA doesn’t want the ownership of any animal! I have heard PETA people support releasing domesticated animals into the wild because in captivity they are “slaves”. PETA actually hates animals, especially pets, so I don’t understand why so many pet owners support them!

Larry
Larry

Cats have been domesticated to assist humans against rodents for thousands of years. And to be companion animals to humans. And they have a loving, fun and intelligent energy.

The abuse and mis-treatment of feral cats, and other cats, by human beings is just another example of humans being weak and pathetic, and really quite mean spirited.

This needs to be said, even though not much will change.

robert krawiec
robert krawiec

I own a cat, I also have a feral cat problem in our town. No one wants to seem to pay for all these plans. PETA kills 95% of all cats sent to its shelters, yes look it up, with 22 l.r. at 8 cents a round, I found the answer to your problem.

robert krawiec
robert krawiec

Luke in letter #2 . For someone who is complaining about other peoples spelling, you spelled brainiac wrong. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house

Sandwich
Sandwich

While I don't agree with TNR, I think its silly to bring up the fact that feral cats don't die of old age, as wild animals rarely die of old age either, yet we don't kill raccoons and possums to save them from their fate. Most don't even live to be old enough to breed. Personally, I do not understand the logic behind TNR. We wouldn't go and capture all the non-native reptiles in FL, neuter them (even if it was possible), then release them back in the wild to roam wherever they want. What about the cats at the… Read more »

First Hand TNR
First Hand TNR

Ammoland: There's no feel good policies where TNR is concerned. Believe me it's hard work but it — has — to — get — done. For over a century we have been trying, (and miserably failing), at exterminating every outdoor cat and as you can see extermination ain't working my friend. Australia did it and they had the biggest outbreak in history of rodents. And now they are back at having feral cats but this time implementing TNR since they learned their lesson. So what do you suggest gets done instead? We know TNR works. It stops the breeding in… Read more »

First Hand TNR
First Hand TNR

Man is the most selfish animal that exists. First we brought feral cats on our ships 10,000 years ago to help keep the rodents out of our food. Now we don't see a need for community feral cats so our mentality changes. Typical. H Kirkpatrick, Of course cats are making noise at night! That's a mating behavior. They need to be spayed or neutered. There are humane ways to keep cats out of your precious gardens and lawns and off your shiny red cars. Alley Cat Allies will show you how on their website. With that said: TNR caregivers must… Read more »

AmmoLand
Reply to  First Hand TNR

Were sorry you are uncomfortable reading the truth. We know there are a lot of "volunteers for TNR" and we are amazed that seemingly intelligent people can continue to put so much effort behind such an environmentally damaging program.

The truth is science trumps feel good policy's everyday…TNR has no basis in science.

H Kirkpatrick
H Kirkpatrick

Cats as we know them were never "wild" and therefore have no true place in our environment as do raccoons for example. That is a false comparison. Moreover if I trap and kill a raccoon, will anyone complain? Cats are so predatory that they kill birds and other small animals even if they are not hungry. They defecate and dig in flower gardens and lawns, they make noise at night as well. What is truly annoying is that many owners of domestic cats do not seem to realize that they should have a collar and be tagged, so one will… Read more »

Patti
Patti
Reply to  H Kirkpatrick

That is a horrible crazy thing to say. Feral cats deserve to live. And by the way TNR does work. Your comments are idiotic.

Spooky
Spooky

I have living in my yard a whole litter of 2nd generation feral kittens. The cost to spay them is way too high, and in the surrounding area no one wants to adopt them.

Gina want some kittens? I think there are three left.

p.s. I think the state should fine the bejesus out of irresponsible

Mlc
Mlc
Reply to  Spooky

I don’t know where u live but u can try googling vets in ur area that s/n stray/ferel cats at a discount. Many vets participate in a program where once or twice a month they offer this service for around $20. Many rescue agencies will help u with this as they usually have an account with a local vet. It’s so worth the money 2 s/n even a few of them. U will be eliminating unnecessary suffering. Good luck 2 u.

Gina H.
Gina H.

As a Feral colony caretaker, I don't even know what to say to this…Not who I'd expect to be hearing this from. Trap, Neuter and Return is the best thing we can do for these poor babies.

Speechless…..

Jim Smith
Jim Smith

* Every comment misses the following VITAL point:

If people don't FEED feral cats, their population will not keep rising – rather it will fall.

Feral cats, especially those not living near restaurants and dumpsters, cannot get enough food to A) bear large litters and B) raise lots of healthy young.

Denying feral cats the supplemental food that bleeding hearts give them will do more to control their population than all the trapping in the world.

FOOD is the key – don't feed feral cats!

Mlc
Mlc
Reply to  Jim Smith

Jim smith, so letting them starve 2 death is the answer? That’s a very cruel & ignorant attitude. I’m all for s/n when a ferel cat can be properly taken care of, otherwise it’s more humane 2 put them down. I’ve helped many ferel cats so i know how hard life can be 4 them on thier own. Society needs 2 be educated the realities of ferel cats & come 2gether 4 a humane, affordable solution 2 ease thier suffering.

Mark Jacobs
Mark Jacobs
Reply to  Jim Smith

I completely agree with you and tell two of our neighbors to stop doing so. Those few little “kitties” they started feeding years ago have turned into at least 50 to 75. I’m tired of the outside of my house smelling like cat pee because they love the mulch. I’m tired of stepping on cat pooh. Just Stop!

A McBeth
A McBeth

Hey Luke Thomas, If a free neuter/spay service is the solution why don't YOU start one? Maybe because you are not at Vet? No facility to do it in? Both of those cost money. If feral cats breed faster than they can be trapped and killed, then they breed faster than they can be trapped and neutered as well, and the neutered one actually maintains the population rather than decreasing it. In reality TNK is cheaper than TNR. To reduce a population one must REDUCE the population. Whether you love or hate cats has no bearing on the costs.

Maureen Gest
Maureen Gest

There is plenty of evidence supporting the effectiveness of TNR. Moreover, it's ludicrous to say a feral cat is "domestic" and should, therefore, be exterminated while a raccoon is a "wild" animal. Domestic and wild are relative terms that don't apply across the board. Some cats can live comfortably with human beings in a house and some cannot but the basic nature of the cat has not changed. If a cat lives in the wild for a generation, he/she may become more similar to a wild cat than a tiger that has been raised with human beings and has not… Read more »

Trisha Archer
Trisha Archer

Molly; Your logic is typical of TNR cool-aid drinkers. You say there is not enough man power to trap and kill but you have enough man power to repeatedly trap, care for, RELEASE and do it all over again…? Next you insist that cats are "Wild Animal". Name one place in the world where Domesticated Cats are naturally found in the wild..? That is just stupid. What these feral cats are is an invasive species, just like Killer Bees or Rats and should be exterminated. Using your same logic all the Pythons and Iguanas loose in FL should be trapped,… Read more »

Diane
Diane
Reply to  Trisha Archer

“power to repeatedly trap, care for, RELEASE and do it all over again…?” What do you mean do it all over again? You can spay/neuter more than once??? There are no more offspring, they die off, no more colony in a couple of years. Kind of like the shaker religion, they didn’t believe in marriage/sex, there are no more Shakers. Nice furniture though!

Molly Tominack
Molly Tominack

I agree with posters so far, trap and kill does not work because no one can afford the time and money it costs to do it right. Trap-neuter-return has the SAME end result in mind as trap and kill, NO feral cats- but their power is in thousands of hours of volunteer time, DAILY surveillance on volunteer hours, and return of the cats to the environment they know and undertsand as the wild animals that they are, to live out their lives. No one in their right mind recommends rounding up all the raccoons in a neighborhood becuase they are… Read more »

Jeanne Lesko

Luke Thomas is absolutely right. Whether you like it or not there are more cats in the wild than workers to trap and kill. In the interim cats are breeding and kittens are being born to fill the coffers of the wild cat population. While tnr may not be the best alternative it is better than none and does help strays and ferals. Cats in a managed colony can live a very long time in the wild, I have a managed colony in which cats have lived for 8 years. Any cat roaming is at risk of death from traffic… Read more »

Pegeen Nelson
Pegeen Nelson

This comment goes to the alleged brainaics or semi-intelligent people at Ammoland:

Do you need a dictionary to learn how to spell properly in your articles? This might give you a little more credibility. Please provide an address and I'd be glad to donate one. Learning how to use it to spread your line of crap is something however I cannot help with.

I'll give you just one hint – plague not plauge.

LOL.

Luke Thomas
Luke Thomas

Homeless cats always lose. But they aren't going away. Most people don't like the thought of killing cats so they just don't collect them and take them to the pound (they are not adoptable), or just don't want to bother with them. Frankly I would rather have sterile wandering cats than breeding wandering cats. Because either way they are not going away and cats breed a lot faster than animal control can kill them. You CANNOT propose legalizing shooting cats because the Counties AND State WILL get sued once someone's pet is shot. I know if someone shot my cat… Read more »

stephanie
stephanie
Reply to  Luke Thomas

Totally agree why not spend that extra money to help people who really love and care about there pets and don’t want to recluse them like prisoners because of mean people and In my opinion way to much weird extra time to have cats sent to the pound when they may be a pet or just a feral cat that is completely harmless if feral or a pet they are not trying to hurt anyone so why are people trapping and hurting them I had to pick my baby up today from the animal control and he’s clawed up on… Read more »