Take Aim at Montrose, Colo., for a Memorable Fall Hunting Getaway
Named one of the best towns for outdoorsmen, Montrose boasts more than a dozen outfitters.
Montrose, Colo. –-(Ammoland.com)- Montrose, Colo., is an outdoor lover’s paradise. So much so that recently, the city was named to Outdoor Life magazine’s annual list of the 200 best towns in America for outdoorsmen.
The options for sportsmen are as vast as the Colorado backcountry is big. Montrose, with its 62,000 acres of BLM-managed lands, boasts elk, deer, antelope, mountain lions, sheep, waterfowl, rabbits, and even a drawing for moose season.
Montrose has more than a dozen outfitters standing by to take hunters to some of the favorite local hot spots. Whether new to the sport or loking to sharpen their skills, one of these knowledgeable outfitters can help keep hunters on target.
There are many different trip types available; guided trips start at about $3,000.
- Action Adventures (www.actionadventures.net) – Specializing in wilderness horseback pack-in elk hunts, Action Adventures also offers private land elk and mule deer hunts.
- Camp David Outfitting (www.campdavidoutfitting.com) – This group offers exclusive private land hunts for elk and mule deer on the beautiful Uncompahgre Plateau. Guided Hunts include lodging, meals, transportation while hunting, and packing out the animals.
- Conrad’s High Country Outfitters (www.conradsoutfitters.com) – Archery hunting for big bulls in the Colorado backcountry has been this outfitter’s specialty for 30 years, though they also cater to muzzleloader and rifle hunters. In addition to elk and mule deer, Conrad’s also offers hunts for antelope, black bear and Merriam turkeys.
- Dark Timber Outfitting (www.darktimberlodge.com) – Dark Timber Lodge is nestled on National Forest and BLM land in acclaimed units 61 and 62, offering 50,000 acres of hunting ground on each unit. Sportsmen enter the hunting area on ATVs and then go by foot.
- Hyatt Guides and Outfitters (www.elwing.com/hunting/hyattinfo.html) – Offering guided hunt packages, one-on-one guided and self-guided hunts, Bruce Hyatt specializes in elk and deer hunting with bow and arrow and rifle.
- J & Ray (www.sportsmansdream.com/jray/) – This third-generation, family owned and operated outfitter has been in the Colorado outfitting business since 1969. J & Ray hunts elk and deer in unit 65 in the Uncompahgre Wilderness Area.
- Kinikin Outfitters (www.huntwesterncolorado.com) – Kinikin Outfitters has exclusive hunting rights to more than 20,000 acres of private ranchland and specialize in memorable elk and mule deer hunts in units 62, 64, 65 and 70.
- Silverspur Outfitters (http:/www.huntsilverspuroutfitters.com) – Personal service is the hallmark of this family-owned business. Hunts are all on private land that borders BLM and National Forest.
- Soap Mesa Outfitters (www.southwestcoloradoelkhunting.com) – Soap Mesa Outfitters offers quality guided elk and mule deer hunts on its 3,500-acre property overlooking Blue Mesa Reservoir, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Soap Creek and the Gunnison National Forest, as well as 6,000 acres of West Elk National Forest.
- Western Colorado Outfitters (www.westerncoloradooutfitters.com) – Western Colorado Outfitters has been providing quality hunts in Colorado since 1976. This group offers guided elk, mule deer and black bear hunts on a forest permit area that they have been hunting for more than 30 years.
For information on hunting seasons, draws, tags and other regulations, contact the local Colorado Division of Wildlife office at 970-252-6000.
About Montrose (www.visitmontrose.com)
Montrose is a uniquely-authentic town that has carved out a place for itself in the landscape and culture of Colorado. Montrose was recently named to Outdoor Life magazine’s annual list of the 200 best towns in America for outdoorsmen. Seventy-three percent of the land surrounding the city is public land, making Montrose a Mecca for all kinds of outdoor activities, including: hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, road biking, and mountain biking. A multi-faceted community, Montrose serves up layer upon layer of discoveries, each more unique than the last. Whether visitors are looking for adventure, agritourism, history, culture, shopping, fine dining or anything in between, Montrose has a little something for everyone.