The Outdoor Foundation Releases its Outdoor Nation Special Report on America’s Great Outdoors to the Obama Administration
Washington, D.C., –-(Ammoland.com)- The Outdoor Foundation, an organization dedicated to inspiring and growing future generations of outdoor enthusiasts, today released its Outdoor Nation Special Report on America’s Great Outdoors to the Obama Administration.
The Report, an outcome from the Outdoor Nation Youth Summit held on June 19-20, 2010 in New York City’s Central Park, offers five top recommendations to the President, including:
- Engage, Employ and Empower Youth by working with Outdoor Nation and its community of Outsiders.
- Engage Youth in the Outdoors during the School Day by collaborating with the Department of Education and local school leadership to engage school children in outdoor learning opportunities and active time outdoors at school.
- Increase the Number of Safe and Accessible Green Spaces, particularly in low-income communities with significant health disparities, by eliminating park, playground and natural space desserts where they exist.
- Support Close-to-Home Outdoor Recreation by providing resources to parents and caregivers that help address the barriers to allowing unstructured outdoor play.
- Strengthen Outreach to New Audiences at all relevant agencies by integrating 21st Century communications tools such as mapping devices, iPhone applications, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, and other tools that will increase the visibility of our parks and natural spaces.
“This Special Report for President Obama represents some of the best ideas and recommendations for protecting America’s great outdoors,” said Christine Fanning, executive director for The Outdoor Foundation.
“For the first time, empowered young leaders from across the country are speaking with one voice about outdoor programs and policies — and being heard. We look forward to working with the Administration to implement these forward-looking concepts.”
In June, more than 500 youth from across the country came together to participate in the first ever Outdoor Nation Youth Summit, the largest and most diverse outdoor youth summit in the nation’s history. Hosted by The Outdoor Foundation, the Youth Summit brought together young ‘Outsiders’ to champion the outdoors, and served as a listening session for President Obama’s America’s Great Outdoors Initiative. Through tools gathered at the Outdoor Nation Summit, the Outsiders were empowered with the training and support to spur a cultural revolution that will lead to a strong Outdoor Nation. The Special Report on America’s Great Outdoors is one outcome of that Summit.
View the full report next.
Outdoor Nation Special Report Americas Great Outdoors
ABOUT THE OUTDOOR FOUNDATION
The Outdoor Foundationis a not-for-profit organization dedicated to inspiring and growing future generations of outdoor enthusiasts. Through ground-breaking research, action oriented convening and outreach and education programs, the Foundation works with partners to mobilize a major cultural shift that leads all Americans to the great outdoors. In 2010, the Foundation launched Outdoor Nation, a pioneering initiative that aims to empower youth to champion the outdoors on campuses and in communities across the United States. For more information visit: www.outdoorfoundation.org and www.outdoornation.org.