Cleaning Your Firearm
Des Moines, Iowa – -(Ammoland.com)- Proper cleaning of your firearm helps ensure it operates in a safe and reliable manner. Firearms should be cleaned after every use, before your next hunt and after they have been stored for a long period of time.
Clean your firearms after every use to keep them in top condition. Every hunter should own a complete cleaning kit.
View this video on Cleaning a Firearm for Hunting Season
Work on a cleared table or bench. Always give cleaning your full attention. Never clean a firearm while doing something else.
Follow these basic steps to clean your firearm.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction, and make sure the gun is unloaded.
- Remove all ammunition from the cleaning bench.
- For the most thorough cleaning, field strip the firearm as directed in the firearm owner’s manual. Then clean each part separately.
- Follow the instructions in your cleaning kit. If possible, clean the barrel from the breech end, using a bore guide and a cleaning rod holding a bore-brush or patch, whetted with solvent. Pass the brush/patch all the way through the barrel. Repeat several times with fresh patches. You may need a larger brush for the chamber. Use a hand brush to clean the crevices where powder residue accumulates. Follow with a dry patch, and finish with a lightly oiled patch for the barrel. Use cloth for other parts.
A Cleaning Kit Should Include:
- Assorted rod tips—brushes, mop tips, slotted tips, jag tips
- Bore light
- Clean cloths
- Cleaning rods
- Cotton swabs
- Dental mirror
- Gun grease
- Gun oil
- Gunsmith screwdrivers
- Patches appropriate for the caliber or gauge of the firearm
- Pipe cleaners
- Stand to hold the firearm securely in a horizontal position
Use a flexible “pull-through” cleaning cable when cleaning firearms with lever or semi-automatic actions to prevent dirt, grime, or debris from being pushed into the action area.
Use cleaning solvents in a well-ventilated area and only as directed. If cleaning from the muzzle end, use a muzzle protector so that you don’t damage the rifling near the muzzle.
Cleaning a Firearm Diagram
At Brownells Everything is Guaranteed period! Forever, 100%, with no restocking fees. Brownells is the world’s largest supplier of firearm parts, gunsmithing tools, reloading equipment and accessories. Stocking more than 30,000 items, the company supplies armorers, gunsmiths, and shooters worldwide. All of their products are backed by a 100% satisfaction, unconditional, lifetime guarantee. For more information, or to place an order, call 800-741-0015 or visit Brownells.com