Defensive Ammunition Check – It Might Save Your Life
EPPING, NH –-(Ammoland.com)- There is always talk, and always will be, about what is the best duty or defensive ammunition out on the market today.
We could spend hours, if not days, on what caliber is best and how it should perform in a multitude of different scenarios.
What is usually not covered is how the ammunition will function in your defensive firearm and how to inspect the ammunition that might save your life.
After choosing the manufacturer, caliber, load type and bullet type, it is important to inspect the ammunition.
1. Remove the plastic tray containing the ammunition from the box and set the tray on a flat surface. Conduct a visual inspection of each cartridge.
Here is an inspection list:
- Overall length of the cartridge… Are all of the cartridges the same height?
- Condition and height of the primer… Do the primers appear damaged or discolored? Are any of the primers raised?
2. Remove each cartridge from the tray and inspect for the following:
- Condition of the cartridge case… Are any of the cases discolored, corroded or damaged?
- Condition of the bullet… Is the bullet properly seated in the case? Is it tight inside the case? Is the bullet deformed, inverted or is there any visible damage to the jacket or core? Make sure that you always check the depth of the bullet in the case.
3. With the pistol disassembled and the barrel out of the weapon, drop each cartridge into the chamber, making sure that it drops in easily and fully seats. Then invert the barrel allowing the cartridge to drop from the chamber into the hand. This proves proper fit of each cartridge into the chamber of the pistol that it will be used in.
4. Understand continuous loading and unloading the same cartridge into your firearm may cause the bullet to work loose from or recess into the cartridge case. This may result in an unintentional stoppage in the cycle of operation.
5. Lastly, test fire a sample of the selected defensive ammunition in the firearm to confirm that it feeds, cambers and functions correctly
Stay safe and fight to win!JC Corbett
SIG SAUER ACADEMY
About the SIG SAUER Academy
The SIG SAUER Academy is located on 150+ acres in Epping, New Hampshire. In operation since 1990, the SIG SAUER Academy’s world renowned instructors provide courses for law enforcement, military and responsible citizens worldwide. Facilities include state-of-the-art shooting ranges and tactical training areas. www.sigsaueracademy.com.