Lafler & Baude Win 16s, Lady Titans Take Fourth Trapshoot Title
DONIPHAN, Neb. –-(Ammoland.com)- Sophomore Aaron Lafler of Lincoln Pius shot a perfect 100 to take the individual crown in the 16-yard targets of the senior high division at the 42nd Cornhusker Trapshoot on Friday.
Lafler, 15, accomplished his feat despite gusting winds that came and went. He said timing was everything.
“I just got lucky,” he said. “I’ve shot 100 straight before. This really isn’t as abnormal as you think, but these aren’t the greatest conditions, either. You’ve got to shoot quicker.”
Jacqueline Baude of Papillion-LaVista South won the girls’ individual title, but she and fellow seniors Melissa Harnack, Taylor Holzer, Marisa Braddock won their fourth straight girls’ team title.
Baude said her 96X100 in the 16s was a byproduct of teamwork. “We’ve always had a mentality of team first,” she said. “We just keep plugging along.”
It’s a good thing. The Lady Titans No. 1 team that also included freshman Bailey Kustka needed to plug along. “We didn’t get off to the best start but closed out really well,” Baude said. “We missed the first two or three birds out, then started to get used to the wind. We did a lot better in the second 50 (rocks) than the first 50.”
The team finished with a 432X500.
The Cornhusker Trapshoot, held at the Nebraska Trapshooting Association (NTA) home grounds, concluded this past Saturday with senior high handicap competition and the presentation of the Cornhusker Cup to the overall winner.
There are 1,216 shooters competing in the senior high division.
The Cornhusker Trapshoot is hosted by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission and the NTA.
Friday’s results in the 16-yard competition are:
- Top 10 Individuals – 1. Aaron Lafler, Lincoln Pius, 100X100; 2. Cody Newlun, Hastings 4-H, 97X100; 3. Caleb Goedeken, Thayer Central, 97X100; 4. Mitch Cassels, Omaha Creighton Prep, 96X100; 5. Matthew Fero, Grand Island, 96X100; 6. Tyler Merry, Norris, 96X100; 7. Logan Ritz, Stanton 4-H, 96X100; 8. Grant Rogers, Wilber-Clatonia 4-H, 96X100; 9. James Vasko, Omaha Creighton Prep, 96X100; 10. Nick Yardley, Gordon-Rushville, 96X100.
- Top Three Girls – 1. Jacqueline Baude, Papillion-LaVista South, 96X100; 2. Becky Wessel, Stanton 4-H, 95X100; 3. Mavis Morgan, Lincoln Southwest, 95X100.
- Top Three 4-H Teams – 1. Republican Valley No. 1 (Eli VanBoening, Shane Kohmetsher, Trenton Jordening, Blake Brumbaugh, Kelly Faimon), 448X500; 2. Karp and Krow No. 1, 440X500; 3. Red Cloud No. 1, 434X500.
- Top Three Girls Teams – 1. Papillion-LaVista Lady Titans No. 1 (Melissa Harnack, Taylor Holzer, Bailey Kustka, Marisa Braddock, Jacqueline Baude), 432X500; 2. Lincoln Southwest Pink, 430X500; 3. Omaha Marian Blue, 400X500.
- Top Six Teams – 1. Omaha Creighton Prep Blue (Mitch Cassels, Ryan Glow, James Vasko, Nick Zuerlin, Mark Stockdale), 460X500; 2. Lincoln Southwest Gold, 457X500; 3. Norris No. 1, 454X500; 4. Papillion-LaVista Titan No. 1, 452X500; 5. Papillion-LaVista Titan No. 2, 450X500; 6. Crete Red, 450X500.
Jim Carlisle Memorial Second Generation Individual (traveling trophy) – Aaron Lafler, Lincoln Pius