Hulett, Wyoming Becomes a Boomtown During the Old West Invitational Turkey Shoot
Hulett, Wyo – -(Ammoland.com)- The tiny town of Hulett, Wyo., population 516, sprang to life May 12-14 as 325 turkey hunters, guides, landowners, volunteers and sponsors packed the tent each night in celebration of the 2nd Annual Old West Invitational Turkey Shoot.
Not only did this northeastern Wyoming town jump in size, those who poured into Hulett for the event pushed fundraising to the six-figure mark.
“Though it will be some time before final numbers are available, preliminary totals show we are well on the way to meeting our goal of raising $100,000 to support Wyoming's wildlife and the Greater Hulett Community,” said Craig Showalter, president and CEO of the Wildlife Heritage Foundation of Wyoming (WHFW).
Event co-hosts, the WHFW and the Greater Hulett Community Center, welcomed celebrities and special guests for a weekend of turkey hunting. Showalter said the second annual Invitational Turkey Shoot was even bigger and more successful than the first.
“We saw an increase in hunters, sponsors and local volunteers who worked tirelessly during the three-day event to assure that everyone had a good time,” Showalter said. “We had over 50 guides, 40 ranchers and landowners, and 70 hunters participating. About a third of the town turned out to volunteer for the event.”
Many celebrities and dignitaries also attended the event, including three of Wyoming's governors. Former Wyoming Governors, Dave Freudenthal and Mike Sullivan participated in the hunt. Current Governor Matt Mead was on hand the first evening of the event to welcome hunters and present donated shotguns to the five youth hunters who were invited to participate in this year's event. Other celebrity guests included nationally known sports figures, outdoor television show hosts and more.
The event was generously supported by sponsors and partners including the event's signature sponsor Remington Outdoor Foundation (ROF) and its fundraising and event management group, Outdoor Roadmap. Outdoor Roadmap is focused on assisting state wildlife agencies and nonprofit organizations in raising money for conservation and hunter recruitment and retention. They played a key role at the Wyoming event by providing funding, products and operational support.
“Without question, one of the key factors that enabled us to make this event a success was the commitment of our signature sponsor, Remington Outdoor Foundation. They helped us launch this event, and their substantial financial support and product contributions enabled us to host a truly first-class event in one of the more remote areas of Wyoming,” said Showalter. “Their support also allowed us to leverage their contributions to attract numerous local and national sponsors for the event. There is no question that without the support of ROF, it simply would not have been possible to make the Old West Invitational Turkey Shoot a reality.”
A portion of the proceeds from this event will be used to help fund research, education and habitat projects that benefit Wyoming's more than 600 game and nongame species.
Visit the Old West Invitational Turkey Shoot website for more information.
To learn more about organizations ROF is teaming up with, visit their website, OutdoorRoadmap.com, which is poised to become the leading online source of training, information and services for hunters, target shooters, archers, and conservationists.
Visit the 2011 Celebrity Participants web page for more detailed profiles.
- Randy Birdsong, who plays a major role on the #1 rated TV show Whitetail Freaks
- Country musician Paul Bogart
- Tom Buchanan, President of the University of Wyoming
- Bill, Matt and Ryan Busbice, hosts of the TV show, Wildgame Nation
- Competitive turkey caller, game call maker and TV show host Mark Drury
- Turkey hunting guru and outdoor communicator Ray Eye
- Dave Freudenthal, former Governor of Wyoming
- Former MLB pitcher and host of Hunting with the Pros, Kevin Gross
- Member of Bass Pro Shop's RedHead Pro Team and former CEO of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Rob Keck
- Jon Koncak, former NBA center
- Rick and Julie Kreuter, hosts of the TV show Beyond the Hunt
- George Kunz, former offensive lineman for the NFL
- Michael J. Sullivan, former Governor of Wyoming
- Scott Talbott, director of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department
- Michael Tilleman, former defensive tackle for the NFL
- Bone Collector host Michael Waddell
- NFL player John Wendling, Detroit Lions
- Reggie Gordon, Bowling Green, FL
- Tim Wells, Relentless Pursuit TV
Event Sponsors and Partners
- · Remington Outdoor Foundation
Royal Slam Sponsors
- · Mike and Pam Schmid, Solitude Ranch & Outfitters
- · Mike Schmid, Intrepid Outdoors
- · Neiman Enterprises, Inc.
- · Golf Club at Devils Tower
- · Forest Product Distributing
- · Kennedy Oil
- · T Cross T Ranch
- · Joe Scott Foundation
Grand Slam Sponsors
- · Powder River Energy Coop/Foundation
- · Basin Electric
- · Local Ford Dealerships
- · First Interstate Bank, Casper, WY
- · Wildlife Management Services, LLC, Dave and Janet Lockman
- · Keyhole Technologies, LLC, Mills, WY
- · Ed Mignery, President, Game & Fish Commission
- · Brunton Outdoors, Riverton, WY
- · National Wild Turkey Federation, Wyoming Chapter
- · Fathers in the Field
- · Croell Redi- Mix
- · A-Double J LLC, John & Judy Andrikopoulos, WHFW Board Member
- · Rimfire Ranch LLC, Andrikopoulos Family
- · NRA of America
- · RDO Equipment/John Deere
- · Earth Work Solutions, E.O. Sowerwine IV
- · Mike Schmid, SOS Well Service, LaBarge, WY
- · Ed and Barb Mignery, Wyoming Game & Fish Commission, Sundance, WY
- · Green Bit & Tool, Inc., Casper, WY
- · Budweiser, Fremont Distributing, Riverton, WY
- · Wildgame Nation, Reality Hunting TV
- · Pathfinder Renewable Wind Energy
Friend of the Shoot
- · Wildlife Energy Drinks
- · Crazy Woman Realty, Will & Missy McAmis, Hulett, WY
- · Crazy Rainbow Fly Fishing & Wing Shooting, Ugly Bug Fly Shop, Casper, WY
- · Deer Creek Taxidermy, Hulett, WY
- · Black Hills Chemical, SD
- · Hunter's Specialties
- · Dri-Duck Trading
- · Bar D Sign, Casper, WY
- · Out West Custom Embroidery, Hulett, WY
- · Summit National Bank, Hulett, WY
- · Hulett Motel, Hulett, WY
- · Quaker Boy Turkey Calls
- · Trophy Plus Outfitters, MT
- · Crook County Promotion Board, WY
- · Rocky Mountain Discount Sports, Gillette, WY
- · McAvoy's Grille, Hulett, WY
- · Alta Enterprises, Dick Staiger, WHFW Board Member, Alta, WY
- · Craig and Carmen Showalter, Cheyenne, WY
- · Hugh Vogel, Casper, WY
- · Russell Stinson & George White, Hulett, WY
- · Matt & Kathy Driskill, Devils Tower, WY
- · Ben & Jamie Jenkins, Big Piney, WY
- · Beavercreek Homemakers, Hulett, WY
- · Cindy B's, Aladdin, WY
- · The Feed Bunk, Hulett, WY
- · Belle Laundry, Belle Fourche, SD
- · Senator Ogden Driskill, Devils Tower, WY
- · Acker Electric, Hulett, WY
- · Ballard Funeral Home
- · Yellowstone Sports Medicine
- · Elec-Tech, Hulett, WY
- · Farm Credit Services of America
- · Greg Gordon, Bowling Green, F
About Wildlife Heritage Foundation of Wyoming
The mission of the Wildlife Heritage Foundation of Wyoming is to create an enduring legacy for future generations through stewardship of all Wyoming's wildlife. For more information, visit www.whfw.org.
OutdoorRoadmap.com is expected to become the single online source of training, information and services related to hunting, target shooting, archery and conservation. By teaming with interested participants, OutdoorRoadmap.com offers online hunter education and firearms safety training, interactive maps and tools, event listings, social media, licensing resources, and a wealth of outdoor information. For more information about this state-of-the-art platform, visit www.OutdoorRoadmap.com.