SUNDERLAND, VT –-(Ammoland.com)- The Orvis Company has announced the winners of the company’s 2012 Endorsed Lodges, Outfitters, and Guide Awards.
There are eight categories; three for lodge operations, four for guiding operations and one lifetime achievement award.
These awards are chosen based on customer survey feedback that Orvis solicits from their customers who patronize these operations.
“Every year here at Orvis we ask how we can possibly have a better selection of quality lodges than we do now, and every year we are gratified with an ever remarkable collection of lodges that make up the Orvis endorsed group,” explains David Perkins, Vice Chairman of Orvis.
“The difficulty in choosing who to recognize is indicative of the quality of the people who are part of the program. The good news is that winners are selected as a result of the feedback from the people who matter most to all of us, and that is the customer. Each of these operations adhere to the highest Orvis standards for customer service, professionalism, commitment to conservation, and respect for our natural world as well as continue to be an example not only to their peers, but to us at Orvis as well.”
This year’s winners are:
- Wingshooting Lodge of the Year – Highland Hills Ranch in The Dalles, Oregon, a 3,000 acre hunting preserve for ringneck pheasants, Hungarian partridge, valley quail and chukar, offers walk up hunts as well as a limited number of British driven shoots per season.
- Fly-Fishing Lodge of the Year – Falcon’s Ledge in Altamont, Utah is set in a private six hundred acre canyon, providing a bird’s eye view of the surrounding cliffs, stillwaters and wildlife. Utah’s finest fly fishing on unpressured mountain freestone streams, blue ribbon tail waters, or trophy stillwaters is available within minutes of the lodge, and adventures are led by Orvis endorsed guides and instructors.
- International Lodge of the Year – The only Orvis endorsed wing shooting lodge in Argentina, Los Ombues is the ultimate experience for the wing shooter.
- Outfitter of the Year – Anglers Covey in Colorado Springs, Colorado has been providing the services, products and expertise that enhance the experience of the fly fishing angler for over 30 years. Their state-of-the-art facility allows for inside casting when the weather is bad, as well as two casting ponds outside the store.
- Expedition of the Year – Deep Canyon Outfitters in Bend, Oregon specializes in one-to-five day guided Oregon fly fishing trips on the Deschutes River and Crooked River. They are the only Orvis Endorsed operation on the Lower Deschutes River.
- Guide Service of the Year – Jamie Rouse Fly-Fishing Adventures of Heber Springs, Arkansas, considered an instructional outfitter, has something to offer all skill levels from the new fly fisherman to the most advanced angler, and their trips consist of both wade and boat fishing.
- Guide of the Year – Captain Kalil Boghdan of Downriver Charters in Hamilton, Massachusetts has over 25 years of experience on the Essex River and the waters of Crane Beach and Plum Island Sound and is thoroughly versed in the behavior of striped bass and bluefish, as well as the natural history and ecology of the area.
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Buzz Cox of The High Lonesome Ranch, which sits on the Western Slope of the Colorado Rockies, has been recognized with the Orvis Endorsed Guide Lifetime Achievement Award. His career spans over 3 decades and ranges from the Northeast to the Rocky Mountains.
For over twenty years the Orvis Company has been recognizing excellence in sporting experiences through its Endorsed Lodges Outfitters and Guides program. Each endorsed operation has its own character, but all share the same high standards: great service, great fishing or wingshooting, and an experienced, professional staff. These standards of excellence are continually reviewed by the Orvis staff and evaluated by visiting guests in post-visit critiques sent directly to The Orvis Company. Orvis-Endorsed operations cater to every ability from beginners to experts.
Founded in 1856, Orvis pioneered the mail order industry in the United States, operates more than 80 retail stores in the U.S. and the U.K. including its Flagship store in Manchester, VT; and maintains a network of over 400 dealers worldwide. Orvis donates five percent of pre-tax profits each year to protecting nature. You can read more about Orvis on their website at www.orvis.com.