Second Amendment, No Compromise, No Retreat

By Paul Markel

Second Amendment,  No Compromise, No Retreat
Second Amendment, No Compromise, No Retreat
Student of the Gun
Student of the Gun

LUVERNE, AL –-(Ammoland.com)- I don’t know about you, but I for one am sick to my stomach of having to repeat the same facts and statistics over and over again.

For years, decades even, we have beaten the drum and recited the same litany.

Any man willing to sit calmly and listen to the facts, to history, will understand that civilian disarmament has always led to the abuse of the populace, whether by vicious criminals or an authoritarian government.

Additionally, Dr. John Lott did yeoman’s work when he researched and compiled the material for “More Guns, Less Crime” his extensive report on gun ownership and specifically concealed carry. It should be old news to this audience that Dr. Lott found the instances of violent crime against citizens dramatically dropped in areas where concealed carry was lawful and prevalent. Subsequently, in restrictive areas, such as Chicago (Cook County IL) and Washington D.C., where citizen gun ownership was the most restricted and nearly non-existent, violent crime; rape, robbery, and murder were rampant.

We have the demonstrable failures of the British and Australian gun bans. The citizens of both nations now lay exposed and vulnerable to all manner of criminal villainy, including the terrorism of home invasion, which is epidemic in Great Britain.

Those Who Should Know Better
This article is not being penned for the benefit of Sarah Brady, Herr Bloomberg, or any of the useful idiots and naked hypocrites in Hollywood. This text is for the supposed choir, those who should know better but seem not to.

During the last big offensive on civil liberty involving firearms, the 1994 (it was a) Crime Bill, we lost, not because the opposition had a more convincing argument, but because of the “reasonable” and the compromisers on our side. Self-appointed traditionalists, sportsmen, and hunters saw the gun ban as someone else’s problem. They looked at it and reasoned that they could still enjoy their favored recreation or play their game of choice.

It has been better than fifteen years, but I can still remember standing in my favorite gun shop when one of the regulars pointed to a black rifle and said, “Well, I can see banning certain kinds of guns.” Out of respect for the owner of the shop I secured my mouth and simply left feeling disgusted. Somehow I doubt I would have that level of self-control today.

More recently I had a skeet shooter attempt to explain the reason the local outdoor range specifically forbid concealed carry on the club property. During the discourse he said to me “Have you seen those concealed carry people? They scare me.” All the while he was balancing the muzzle of his shotgun on his foot. I didn’t exercise the previous restraint and congratulated him for saying the stupidest thing I had heard all week.

Should you count yourself among the reasonable hunters, traditionalists, or sportsmen today and believe you will be spared any inconvenience from the upcoming assault on civil liberty you are willfully naïve. If you think it’s alright for the government to confiscate your neighbor’s AR-15 as long as you get to keep your Remington 700 you are a selfish and vile creature and I have no respect for you.

Games are not Liberty
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Second Amendment enumerated in the Bill of Rights to the United States Constitution has nothing to do with hunting, collecting, or playing shooting games. Games are not a substitute for liberty. In the vaunted European nations who still claim that their citizens can “own guns”, the only guns they can claim ownership to are those suitable for play, not for fighting. Their governments have also seen to it that playing with firearms is a rich man’s game. Licenses, fees, club memberships, storage costs, and various taxes have taken even play guns out of the hands of the common man.

For all of you weekend trap shooters, annual deer hunters and seasonal competitive marksmen, you had better think twice before throwing your concealed carry neighbor under the bus. Adopting the “civilized” European model may very well price your favorite hobby far out of reach. Do you think ammunition is expensive now? Wait until the Federal Government institutes their new form of taxation on it.

Do you appreciate the wide variety of firearms, ammunition, and accessories from which you have to choose? Kiss those days goodbye. Without the profit incentive to offer a large number of products, most manufacturers will be forced to either fold up completely or cut back on their manufacturing numbers.

The vast majority of accessory makers in the firearms industry are legitimately small business owners. The draconian taxation that is being put in motion will financially crush the vast majority of them. Those who manage to stay in business will only do so by dramatically raising their prices. Imported firearms accessories will be banned outright or taxed to extinction.

The days of the $200 riflescope or the $50 set of binoculars will be long gone. Bargain prices on imported ammunition? Nope, that will be gone as well.

Hurt Feelings?
If this short bit of text hurts your feeling or strikes a nerve, tough. It’s time to either man up and grow a pair or just admit you are not really a son of liberty but a comfortable slave seeking permission from the king to play your favorite game. And, to the moderate man, who feels that I may have erred for calling out the recreant, it is exactly that moderation and compromise that has brought us to the precarious position we are in right now.

Student of the Gun ~ Watch the Show
Student of the Gun ~ Watch the Show

I am reminded of the immortal words of Dalton in the venerate tale of the Roadhouse. “I want you to be nice until it’s time not to be nice.” Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come not to be nice.

Paul Markel © 2013

About the Author
Paul Markel has been a firearms industry writer for twenty years and is the author of the new book “Student of the Gun; A beginner once, a student for life.” Paul hosts and produces “Student of the Gun” a show dedicated to education, experience, and enjoyment of firearms. Episodes of SOTG can be viewed by simply going to www.studentofthegun.com and clicking the “play” icon.

RichardH
RichardH

Why is it that the Libtard is the most long winded, ahole on the planet? Just look at the garbage they spew out!

Tory II, Illinois
Tory II, Illinois

"I support the 2nd amendment, now where are your guns ?"

Tred Law
Tred Law

@Dave; Most folks believe as you do, and that is to be expected, thankfully for you and yours there will be folks like many of the commenter's on here that will take a stand so that the sheeple can go on living in blissful ignorance. As one of the sheepdogs, I love your kind and will do all I can to keep you safe, I know my capacity for violence scares the sheeple and that you don’t like the sheepdog in your flock, but when the wolf comes, i know who you will pick to hide behind and i will… Read more »

Nomen Ignotus
Nomen Ignotus

Biden was speaking today about the need for an executive order to solve the "gun violence " problem ( of course it is not he people who commit the violence ) and said that thousands of people would be saved by such non legislative rule …Albert Camus said "The welfare of the People has always been the alibi of tyrants .."

peteowl
peteowl

Dave S.: I am complete social liberal (pro-abortion, pro same-sex marriage, pro socialized medicine, etc.) who absolutely, positively understands why the Founders put the 2nd in there: because they had direct experience with a tyrant, they were well read in history, and they understood that the People (meaning the common man) ultimately had only one defense from those who inevitably crave power, achieve it, and will then do anything to retain it. I believe law abiding citizens are granted the Constitutional right to own, purchase, and use ANY firearms the Police (who are also citizens) are allowed to use. No,… Read more »

VA Patriot
VA Patriot

Yes. We must fight to the death to protect our God given right to defend ourselves & others from criminals…be they robbers, gang members or government tyrrants.
Watch this video & pass it around. It's one of the best & most sendible testimonies Ive ever heard.

<object width="500" height="375"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sEYGcXSmpQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sEYGcXSmpQ?version=3&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="375" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Shawn Grammont
Shawn Grammont

I feel you. I don't think any failed gun ban would help stop the gun violence plus what would be considered an assault weapon.

Clarence De Barrows
Clarence De Barrows

Simple. "They" have a liberal progressive agenda coupled with goofy specious reasoning. "We" have the 2nd Amendment and the guns. Where's the problem?

Dave S.
Dave S.

I can never figure out how the self rightous authors of these type of articles ever hope to convince the "anti-gun" citizens of this country that we do not need additional gun regulation when all I see is a bunch of name calling — "admit that you are a son of liberty" or not and threats. Spare me please! I for one do nor want to live in an armed camp. I do not want to go to the movies and have 20 or 30 of my fellow movie-goers sitting around me with concealed Glocks strapped to their hips. I… Read more »

Walking Turtle
Walking Turtle

Those who stand against the ownership of any firearm by aught but their own well-paid "security" goon-thugs seem to have overlooked this one thing among many others: The very SIGHT – nay, even the reliably KNOWLEDGE of a loaded weapon within reach of the Intended is an adequate deterrent in the vast majority of criminal assault cases. Fact: Credible hardware in the Right Hands saves lives. Having saved both my own life and those of a few others on one memorable occasion by means of arms visible and yet not fired, I for one insist that our rights as common-law… Read more »

Harold
Harold

I,m not you,r stupid bro and I,m not a redneck with a gun but I do enjoy my weapons and the right to use them no thanks to an @@@hole like u And I won't give them up for the likes of you. I'll die with them in my hands first

RichardH
RichardH

To Bananaman ~ What do you think is a "Well Regulated Militia?" It is any freeman willing and able to fight for his life, liberty, and country. A militia is therefore an army of one or more. Guns are tools, the people that use them in a wrong or inappropriate way are the stupid tool. Much like the uninformed libtard.

EthanP
EthanP

Paul; As I see it we face a two pronged problem. The first and obvious is of course the usually left wing gun banners. I say usually because there are many on the right also anti gun. These are the folks out in the open. Those we oppose every day. Second, We have the internal enemy. By this I mean gun owners, many in the NRA and other pro gun organizations have an "it's OK to ban yours, I don't have "Them" and I don't need "Them". And this is NOT some minority fringe. I know many gun owners that… Read more »

rappini
rappini

Show me someone who doesn't believe in the second Amendment and I'll show you a bleeding heart liberal looking for a hand out from the Gov't.

smokey
smokey

NO MORE COMPROMISE. We cannot let the government take any more of OUR liberties.

patriotline
patriotline

Bananaman DO NOT HIDE BEHIND ME !!

Helldogger
Helldogger

Exactly my sentiment. The debate is over. We have one gun law & it's the only one we need. They need to balance my federal checkbook & don't worry about my guns. Molon Lebe!

Billy Bullets
Billy Bullets

bananaman, Hey "Bro" Congratulations for saying the stupidest thing I've heard all week! [email protected]@clown!

ErSwnn
ErSwnn

@ Bananaman: I'm guessing your extensive study of gun owners via Duke of Hazzard has led you to this insightful conclusion. Certainly you did not come by it through actual interactions with gun owners. In my own club are doctors, lawyers, at least two scientists, a fair amount of business owners, one state representative and yes, a few "rednecks". Too bad you have no idea what a redneck really is, you might actually like tham. Yes, we will throughly enjoy playing with our guns. Should a government intrusion or general civic disorder occur we beg you to not look to… Read more »

Cecil Flentge
Cecil Flentge

No criticism of our troops, but high tech tools has not worked well for the Russian or US Military in Afgan. Never underestimate the wronged citizen.

Ronald West
Ronald West

Very well said. I could not agree more. It's time to take a stand. Gun owners unite!

Bananaman

Guns are stupid bro. A bunch of rednecks with guns is not a "well regulated militia". Have fun using those guns to protect yourself from a government that had armed drones

John Thayer
John Thayer

Thanks for writing in a straightforward, intelligent manner. Please keep it up and I will keep sharing it.