It is critical that you attend in person in Trenton! Buses will be available at locations statewide.
Trenton, NJ –-(Ammoland.com)- Contact Senate President Stephen Sweeney and members of the Senate Law & Public Safety Committee immediately!
On Tuesday, April 30 and Thursday, May 2 2013, the New Jersey State Senate Law & Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear testimony on a new bill package that includes some of the worst attacks on firearms owners and sportsmen in state history.
The full package of bills has not yet been introduced, but based on the most recent draft legislation we have seen, the package includes:
- – A ban on dozens of popular handguns and rifles used for hunting and target shooting, camouflaged as a fifty caliber ban.
- – No firearms training = no Second Amendment rights: First-time applicants for FID cards and handgun purchase permits will be denied without proof of firearms training.
- – Anti-gunners sitting on the panel that sets the training requirement!
- – 10-year jail sentences and $150,000 fines for parents who pick up their children at school while en route to or from hunting or target shooting, or whose vehicles inadvertently wander onto school grounds.
- – Suspension of Second Amendment rights for anyone placed on a secret government list created by federal bureaucrats, even without charges being filed or conviction of any crime (no due process).
- – Termination of all FID cards, which were supposed to be good for life.
- – Replacement of FID cards and handgun permits with a privacy-invading data strip on the driver's license of every gun owner, flagging your status as a gun owner to anyone who can identify or decode the strip. This will result in an explosion of questionable vehicle searches, and could compromise your privacy to employers, banks, hotels, schools, stores, car rental agencies, and anyone else to whom you give your driver's license (or to whom it is lost or stolen).
- – Ban on private firearms sales, even by persons already extensively background-checked, such as FID card holders and pistol purchase permit holders.
- – New ammunition purchase regulations.
- – Other ill-conceived schemes that target the rights of law-abiding citizens instead of punishing criminal behavior.
Although Senate Democratic leadership has been slower and more deliberate in approaching firearms legislation than the Assembly, and has sought input from Second Amendment and hunting groups, the final bill package speaks for itself and contains severe attacks on gun owners and sportsmen that are not rationally related to prevention of crime or another tragedy.
Additionally, Senate Democratic leadership has so far ignored proposals to address bona fide gun owner concerns, like enforcing the 30-day deadline for permit issuance, preventing honest citizens from suffering 10 year jail sentences for hyper technical possessory offenses, and creating a reasonable standard for personal protection outside the home.
One positive bill in the package seeks to protect gun owner information from wrongful public disclosure, as happened in New York, but does not go far enough in protecting the identity of gun owners. Another would re-open the compliance window to dispose of firearms banned by New Jersey's “assault” firearms law, but inexplicably deletes Assembly amendments that would have also allowed compliance for banned magazines and ammunition.
ANJRPC's full analysis of the bill package will be released in an upcoming alert.
PLEASE IMMEDIATELY CONTACT SENATE PRESIDENT STEPHEN SWEENEY AND ALL MEMBERS OF THE SENATE LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE AND TELL THEM TO OPPOSE THESE ATTACKS ON GUN OWNERS AND SPORTSMEN, AND TO INSTEAD SUPPORT REAL SOLUTIONS TO GUN CRIME AND MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES. ADDITIONALLY, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU ATTEND ONE OR BOTH HEARINGS IN TRENTON IN PERSON NEXT WEEK AND HELP GUN OWNERS SPEAK WITH A THUNDEROUS VOICE, AND COUNTER ANTI-GUN LIBERALS WHO ARE PLANNING TO STAGE A COUNTER-PROTEST AND MEDIA SHOW.
TAKE ACTION: Buses for both hearings are being organized throughout the state (including at Cherry Ridge) by NJ2AS. Please click here for details and to register. Also, if the hearing and overflow rooms fill up again like they did in February, please be prepared to participate in a rally outside the Capitol building (also being organized by NJ2AS).
ANJRPC will continue to press Senate leadership on this legislation, but your IMMEDIATE action can make the difference in our efforts. Please immediately weigh in with the legislators listed below, and please watch for upcoming alerts with additional details and bill analysis.
SENATE PRESIDENT STEPHEN SWEENEY (D3)
(856) 251-9801 office
(856) 251-9752 fax
MEMBERS OF THE NEW JERSEY SENATE LAW & PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE:
Donald Norcross (Chair) (D5)
Linda Greenstein (Vice Chair) (D14)
Nick Sacco (D32)
Christopher “Kip” Bateman (R16)
James Holzapfel (R10)
About Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs:The Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc. is the official NRA State Association in New Jersey. Our mission is to implement all of the programs and activities at the state level that the NRA does at the national level. This mission includes the following: To support and defend the constitutional rights of the people to keep and bear arms. To take immediate action against any legislation at the local, state and federal level that would infringe upon these rights. Visit: www.anjrpc.org