Covington VA –-(Ammoland.com)- Brook Powers, my counterpart in Maryland Shall Issue, sent me information about an opportunity for Virginia firearms instructors to train Maryland gun owners, a requirement for all Maryland gun owners under a new law:
Here is the Maryland State Police Advisory outlining the new training & other requirements that take effect on October 1, 2013: http://tinyurl.com/kygjd6d
There are some important things to note;
- 1. The Maryland State Police (MSP) allegedly interpreted the “legislative intent” as requiring one live round.
- 2. There are not enough MD ranges or MD instructors to train new handgun buyers – the point of the legislation.
- 3. The MSP is now allowing active NRA Basic Pistol Instructors to train and approve MD Handgun Permit holders to draw from a holster – something they have no training in (Prior to October 1, 2013 training for PI’s, SPO’s, Armored Car Drives, etc. was performed by MSP Certified Qualified Handgun Instructors).
- 4. The MSP is currently processing handgun purchase applications from 5/12/2013. There will likely be a period of weeks or months where no firearms can be purchased.
- 5. Once an applicant does schedule and complete training, then they must be fingerprinted and apply for a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). Once they get an HQL, they can find and apply to purchase a handgun. Then a 8-110 day wait will begin.
- 6. The MyLicense software suite the MSP intends to implement to automate this process has 2 previous failed implementations and has never been used by the MSP effectively for any task. If you follow the links to all the permits the MSP promotes, the links end up at Google Docs, or at a page that encourages you to apply for a LEOSA permit via your own LEA, or on paper.
Our Virginia brothers with active NRA Basic Pistol Instructor or one year Military Experience teaching handguns can train Maryland residents by registering as a Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor.
This will help make ensure there is a pool of instructors to help Maryland handgun buyers get the training they need, if the volume of registrants and the associated paperwork doesn’t cause the MSP licensing system to fail and implode.
Perspective instructors can register here:
SSN is not required. Applicants can enter it anyway, enter any number, or all 0’s for their SSN. The Handgun options are not available now, but will become available in the licensing interface in the next few days.
Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right. Visit: www.vcdl.org