“All participants are provided guidance and assistance,” said BB Gillen, the Wildlife Commission’s outdoor skills coordinator. “Youth and accompanying adults always have fun and learn — and typically are successful — during these hunts.”
Youth hunters will be selected by a random, computer-generated draw. A $5 nonrefundable administrative fee is charged for each permit hunt application.
The 2014 facilitated hunts are:
- Sept. 1 Dove, at Mountain Island Educational State Forest, Gaston County Application Deadline: Aug. 10
- Oct. 4 Deer, at Duke Energy’s Belews Creek Steam Station, Stokes County Application Deadline: Sept. 1
- Oct. 18 Deer, at Mountain Island Educational State Forest, Lincoln and Gaston counties Application Deadline: Sept. 1
- Nov. 8 Deer, at W. Kerr Scott Reservoir Warrior’s Creek, Wilkes County Application Deadline: Sept. 1
- Dec. 13, Deer, at Weyerhaeuser’s Cool Springs Environmental Ed Center, Craven County Application Deadline: Oct. 1
The Wildlife Commission provides permit hunting opportunities across the state. These hunts allow for managed participation, opportunities for special areas and include special hunting opportunities for youth, such as the hunts previously described, and persons with disabilities.
Hunter education certification is required for youth participating in Commission-facilitated permit hunting opportunities. Youth must be accompanied by a properly licensed adult at least 18 years of age. If orientation is required for the particular hunt, both the youth and accompanying adult must attend for the permit to be valid.
About the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC)
Since 1947, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission has been dedicated to the conservation and sustainability of the state’s fish and wildlife resources through research, scientific management, wise use, and public input. The Commission is the state regulatory agency responsible for the enforcement of fishing, hunting, trapping and boating laws and provides programs and opportunities for wildlife-related educational, recreational and sporting activities.