Panera Bread Asks Law-Abiding Citizens to Leave Guns at Home

By AWR Hawkins

Panera Bread Asks Law-Abiding Citizens to Leave Guns at Home
Panera Bread Asks Law-Abiding Citizens to Leave Guns at Home
AmmoLand Gun News
AmmoLand Gun News

Washington DC – -(Ammoland.com)- On September 8 2014, Panera Bread bakery-cafes joined Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Chili's, Sonic, and Target in asking law-abiding customers to shop unarmed in its stores.

The news originally broke on Twitter, where Everytown for Gun Safety tweeted Panera's request: “Please don't bring guns into our cafes.”

According to the Huffington Post, Panera released the following statement:

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.

On July 2 2014, Target “respectfully” requested that law-abiding citizens shop unarmed, and Breitbart News reported the chain was robbed twice in the days after the request was made. And on July 22 2014, just weeks after Target's request, Breitbart News reported a murder in a Los Angeles-area Target parking lot.

On May 23, Breitbart News also covered two robberies and a shooting in the weeks that followed Jack in the Box's request that law-abiding citizens enter its business unarmed, as well.

On September 2 2014, it was reported that 57,000 businesses were fighting back against the gun control push that led Chipotle, Jack in the Box, Chili's, Sonic, Target–and now Panera–to ask customers, who adhere to the law, to shop unarmed.

Those 57,000 businesses are putting “guns welcome” signs on their front doors.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter @AWRHawkins.

About:
AWR Hawkins writes for all the BIG sites, for Pajamas Media, for RedCounty.com, for Townhall.com and now AmmoLand Shooting Sports News.

His southern drawl is frequently heard discussing his take on current events on radio shows like America's Morning News, the G. Gordon Liddy Show, the Ken Pittman Show, and the NRA's Cam & Company, among others. He was a Visiting Fellow at the Russell Kirk Center for Cultural Renewal (summer 2010), and he holds a PhD in military history from Texas Tech University.

If you have questions or comments, email him at [email protected] You can find him on facebook at www.facebook.com/awr.hawkins.

oldshooter
oldshooter

We have Panera restaurants in San Antonio and I like their food. I WAS a regular at the one near my home; however, I had to tell them I won’t be coming in anymore because of their new policy. The manager, who is a friend of mine (although he wasn’t aware I always carry – since I carry concealed), said it’s just a meaningless corporate PR thing and I could just leave my gun in the car if I was uncomfortable, or just ignore it since they are being vey careful NOT to post any signage (like the “30.06 sign”… Read more »

TEX
TEX

What the hell is a Panera Bread ? These fools can say no guns allowed but that in itself don’t make it inforceable. At least in Texas you have to have a specific 30.06 sign in order to be a criminal attracting ‘gun free zone’ ! I carry concealed and nobody ever knows I’m carrying anyways !

richard
richard

The dumbest thing of all is Sonic is a drive-in. In on my car when I order. So should I leave my gun on the sidewalk since I can’t have it in my car?

Will Flatt
Will Flatt

It’s simple. No guns, no money.

Furthermore, the weenies at the NRA need to ante up some of the $$$ they suck from their members’ wallets and publicly shame these corporations for their anti-freedom stance. Any company that puts politics above business shouldn’t be in business!!!

Chris
Chris

The Buffalo Wild Wings near my house here in Utah recently removed their no firearms sign on their front door. I think the owner realized that it was a stupid and largely unenforceable rule anyway!

David J Winters
David J Winters

Their food sucks anyways. It won’t be missed. Bye Panera, that warm feeling is blood from your unarmed patrons when someone decides to go nuts and start shooting in a gun free enviroment and there is not an armed peraon around, wtg panera you just got your customera killed. That won’t reflect good on your comment cards.

carter
carter

This is too bad, Panera bread ranks right up there with ballistic gelatin for testing ammo.

james
james

I work p/t at a retail big box store and have men and women shop open carry, don’t bother me one bit and even other customers just go about their business.

Often meet up with them at the ranges.

10mm
10mm

Here’s the problem with compromise- and it continues. I am NOT “pro 2nd Ammendment”, I am ANTI-Gun Laws. Without gun laws, I am confident stuff would “work itself out”. It’s like Abortion, I am not “Pro-life”, I am ANTI-abortion. See the difference? You’ve got to draw lines in the sand or someone will step all over you. And they are….

oldshooter
oldshooter

Actually Saganhill, It IS my right to shop (or do anything else I want) armed. The 2nd Amendment clearly says that right will “not be infringed.” OK, I have no problem with private property owners telling me they don’t want my business, I can just go elsewhere, and I will. But the issue of infringement of an unalienable right, goes well beyond the issue of private property. Panera is not someone’s home, they are a restaurant offering services to the public. Thus, they are required by law to provide accessible parking, to serve customers regardless of their race or religion,… Read more »

oldshooter
oldshooter

It is patently impossible to “respect the rights of gun owners,” while simultaneously asking them not to bring their guns into your stores. It is akin to saying, “We respect the rights of minorities to eat, but ask them not to do so in our restaurants.” Sooo, what would it look like if Panera “did NOT respect the rights of gun owners?” Would they ask us not to come in with our guns?…oh, wait… Any attack on the civil rights of one group in America, is an attack on the civil rights of all of us. It’s a shame, but… Read more »

leftwingforgunuse
leftwingforgunuse

I’m a democrat and I just wanted to say I don’t think there’s anything more American then our right to bear arms! Panera just lost my business for life!

Lee Dutra
Lee Dutra

saganhill, really showed your level of intelligence there.

TSgt B
TSgt B

Well, Panera, you just lost a decades-long loyal customer. GFYS.

Tony
Tony

OK. My gun goes where I go I don’t go where my gun doesn’t go.

Janek
Janek

I see a ‘seminar poster’ has shown up to demean those who take responsibility for their own protection. Typical ‘Leftist’ response to an issue they’re loosing.

Tred Law
Tred Law

@saganhill That “bull Sh1t dogma” you are crying like a bitch about is called Freedom. And yes we will shove it down your throat. Sucks to be you.

brian winters
brian winters

In NEW Jersey there is no legal concealed or open carry. 1200 ccw permits in a state of 9 million and that 1200 includes retired police.

saganhill
saganhill

So you idiots think its a right to “shop” armed? You people are f**ked up. It’s like religious nut bags wanting to force their bull sh1t dogma on everyone. Total insanity. IP: 69.212.116.3

Devil Dog
Devil Dog

Panera…how about no.

Mark
Mark

I open carry at the Chili’s in Salina and Wichita Kansas, Never have had a problem. Not sure where this is supposed to be, but here in Kansas have not seen problems there. Sonic would never know I have a gun, since it is drive thru around here, do not shop in Targay for obvious reasons, and do not support Chippotle for the illegal aliens they use.

NUB
NUB

Sonic????? I sit in my truck and order/eat. REALLY??? LMBO

Janek
Janek

What is “Panera Warmth”? More marketing hype?

askeptic
askeptic

Always happy to oblige.
I’ll leave my gun at home, sitting right next to my money.