USA – -(Ammoland.com)- The Editors at Petersen’s HUNTING have once again done their due diligence all in the name of finding the best of the best for their Annual Gear Issue, now available on newsstands and online.
The Best Gear for 2014 lists the products that have withstood varying degrees of real-world tests in more than 20 categories spanning from centerfire rifles to arrows to headlamps. To be included is a testament to a product’s quality, but there can only be one Editor’s Choice winner per category.
Petersen’s HUNTING is part of InterMedia Outdoors (IMO), the nation’s largest media company exclusively serving the information and entertainment needs of more than 80 million outdoor enthusiasts.
A few highlights of the 26-category list are below. To see the full list, pick up a copy of Petersen’s HUNTING now available on newsstands or visit: www.petersenshunting.com/featured/editors-choice-best-hunting-gear-2014/
- Predator Rifles: Rock River Arms by Fred Eichler – “This Rock River tricked-out AR is obscenely accurate—so much for the old myth that bolt guns are more accurate than semiautos.”
- Shotguns: Benelli Ethos – “If the superbly crafted, ultra-reliable Benelli inertia-driven line has an Achilles’ heel, it’s that sometimes the bolt won’t rotate into battery when it’s eased quietly forward. Not so with the Ethos. The culmination of the finest elements of the inertia system, the Ethos bolt features an “easy locking” detent that guarantees complete lockup.”
- Handguns – Dan Wesson Guardian .38 – Put the hot-rod .38 Super into an aluminum-framed, bobtail Commander-size 1911 and you’ve got a super-carryable classic in a caliber suitable for thumping hogs and varmints of all descriptions.
- Ammo: Winchester Long Beard – “Winchester’s new Long Beard XR shotshells employ ‘Shot-Lok’ technology to increase pattern density and extend the lethal range of capable turkey hunters.”
- Riflescopes: Zeiss Terra 3-12X50 – …”Still designed in Germany, (Zeiss Terra) are priced to allow anybody who really wants a Zeiss to own one. For 2014, the line is extended to include 50mm objectives in the 3-9X and 4-12X magnifications. I’ve carefully examined and used Terra scopes, and they’re outstanding.”
- Binos: Leupold BX3-Mojave – “The BX-3 Mojave 8×32 binocular is a great optic for minimalist hunters who like to get close and personal before shooting.”
- Bows: Mathews Creed XS – “This new bow is a handier, more compact version of last year’s uber-popular Creed. The 28-inch axle-to-axle bow is perfect for treestands with its very shootable brace height of 7 1⁄2 inches, silky smooth Solocam technology (utilizing its SimPlex cam) for which the company is famous, and its feathery feel of just under four pounds.”
- Arrows: Easton Bowfile – “New from arrow juggernaut Easton is its Bowfire arrow that uses 3HD “White-Hot” printing on a regular-sized carbon shaft so the arrow not only looks great while in the quiver, but also more importantly is highly visible in flight so hunters can see exactly where it hits.”
- Camping: Pelican 65QT Elite – “What does every hunter need from a cooler? Ice retention. Whether you’re chilling freshly removed backstraps or keeping your beer cold while grilling them, your cooler has to keep those ever-important cubes intact. Enter the 65QT Elite from Pelican.”
- Boots: Cabela’s Accelerator Boots – “Like a typical shotgun wedding, the marriage between neoprene and rubber boots is one that’s constantly pregnant with the next big thing. The most recent baby in the delivery room is built with a seamless, injection-molded rubber shell that Cabela’s is calling Zero Gravity technology. But no need to worry, they don’t fit like space boots.”
- Camp Grills: Camp Chef Rainier Camper’s Combo – “At just under two feet long, about 13 inches wide, and a flat 5¾ inches high when folded, the Rainier is the ultimate compact, full-featured grill. The grill and stove combo is a grower not a shower, with a propane-powered 8,000 BTU grill and a 10,000 BTU burner under the hood.
About InterMedia Outdoors, Inc.: InterMedia Outdoors, Inc. is the largest multimedia company in the outdoor-enthusiast category, exclusively serving the information and entertainment needs of 82 million outdoor enthusiasts, with the largest network of websites dedicated to hunting, shooting and fishing; a portfolio of 15 market-leading magazines including: Guns & Ammo, Game & Fish, Petersen’s Hunting, North American Whitetail, In-Fisherman, Fly Fisherman and Florida Sportsman; 26 market-leading television productions, the largest library of outdoors television programming, custom publishing, consumer event business, syndicated radio programming and a multichannel consumer marketing and merchandising business.