Missoula, MT -(Ammoland.com)- The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation wants to recognize and show appreciation for its 2014 Access Elk Country initiative charter sponsors Sitka, Sportsman’s Guide, Kimber and Bushnell.
“Opening and securing public access is a key component of RMEF’s mission,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “Hunters need a place to hunt and our conservation partners assist us in efforts to create, maintain and improve access.”
Since 1984, RMEF has opened, secured or improved public access to more than 758,000 acres of elk habitat in 21 states.
- Road easements secured permanent public access to 41,000 acres in southwest Montana
- Protected and secured access to 2,893 acres of elk habitat in south-central Washington
- $50,000 grant opened access to approximately 40,000 acres of land in Idaho
- $45,000 grant opened access to about 180,000 acres of land in Wyoming
- Protected and secured access to 988 acres in south-central Montana
- Protected and secured access to 81 acres of Pennsylvania elk country
- Protected and opened access to 4,010 acres in central Washington
“There is perhaps no greater threat to the future of wildlife and our hunting heritage in North America than the loss of access to places that provide quality hunting experiences for today’s hunter as well as those of the next generation,” said Steve Decker, RMEF vice president of Marketing. “RMEF’s Access Elk Country program sponsors are helping us meet this challenge head-on by creating new and improved access to some of the best of elk country. We can’t thank them enough for their continued commitment to RMEF and our mission.”
About the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Founded over 30 years ago, fueled by hunters and a membership of more than 200,000 strong, RMEF has conserved more than 6.5 million acres for elk and other wildlife. RMEF also works to open and improve public access, fund and advocate for science-based resource management, and ensure the future of America’s hunting heritage. Discover why “Hunting Is Conservation” at www.rmef.org or 800-CALL ELK.