There’s No Such Thing As A Law-Abiding Gun Owner?

By NRA Board Member Scott L. Bach

Leah Gunn Barrett
New Yorkers Against Gun Violence’s Leah Gunn-Barrett insinuates – There’s no such thing as a law-abiding gun owner.
Scott Bach
Scott Bach

New Jersey – -(Ammoland.com)- Last month I debated the head of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence in front of a class on culture wars at NYU in Manhattan.

Ironically named Leah Gunn-Barrett @gunnbarrett, the Empire State gun ban advocate presented a slick PowerPoint with charts and graphs of phony statistics supposedly showing that civilian gun ownership is responsible for all manner of murder and mayhem.

Her core message was that guns are a product intended to kill that have caused a public health crisis requiring extreme regulation; that the Second Amendment is really a collective right that belongs to the states, not individuals, and the Supreme Court’s Heller decision is a historical anomaly; and that NRA is the “gun lobby” doing the bidding of gun manufacturers for economic gain.

My core message was that guns save lives; that your personal safety is your own responsibility, since police have no legal duty to protect you; that gun laws are ignored by criminals and make the law-abiding more vulnerable.

That the same government that says it has no duty to protect you shouldn’t limit your right to protect yourself. I also made the obvious point that the Second Amendment is an individual right found in the Bill of Rights, and that NRA is the “gun RIGHTS lobby,” and speaks on behalf the millions of individuals who make it strong, not manufacturers.

The most revealing and disturbing moment of the debate came during the Q&A.

Ms. Gunn-Barrett candidly laid bare a basic premise of the gun ban mindset that usually goes unspoken: there’s no such thing as a law-abiding gun owner.

In her warped view, we are all just ticking time bombs, waiting to go off. A law-abiding citizen could go on a murderous rampage just as easily as exceeding the speed limit. One minute we can be good, and the next moment we can become monsters.

That viewpoint explains every twisted piece of piece of gun ban legislation we’ve seen, and shows that what these extremists are targeting is legal gun ownership itself, not the criminal misuse of guns. To them, there is no such thing as a legal gun owner, so the solution is to reduce or eliminate gun ownership itself. When the anti’s speak of ending gun violence, what they really mean is ending gun ownership.

These people will not stop until there is nothing left of the Second Amendment, and the only obstacle in their way is us. Gun owners must remain eternally vigilant and prepared to answer the call to defend the one Freedom that separates us from every other nation in the history of the world.

Stand and fight!

Scott L. Bach, Esq. is a member of the NRA Board of Directors and is Executive Director and past President of the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs. He is also a former member of law enforcement. Website: www.bachbio.com, Email: [email protected]

KJQ
KJQ

So by her own logic, she can’t be trusted to remain law abiding and should be locked up for the good of society.

Stephen Malm
Stephen Malm

Fortunately, people like Ms. Gunn-Barrett loudly make their presence, ignorance and very twisted version of logic known, and most reasonable Americans reject her as a lobbyist for lunatics. I’m more worried about the people who quietly think this way, and plot accordingly. By this woman’s reasoning, how could we ever trust a driver, a policeman, a pilot, a chef, or even a mom and dad ever again. After all, they are all just as much a “ticking time bomb” in the position to get angry and kill others at any time. So there is no such thing as a law-abiding… Read more »

Tom
Tom

By her logic, there is no such thing as law-abiding citizen because one minute you can be law-abiding citizen, the next minute you can rob someone with a knife or just strong arm someone out of their properties, or perhaps rapes someone. So everyone is a criminal, we should turn ourselves to the authorities and go straight to prison….oh, wait, aren’t the authorities criminal too! This woman needs to check herself into an insane asylum!

Marci LaBrie
Marci LaBrie

She could say the same thing about black people based on statistics but that would be unheard of….that would be considered outlandish and ignorant to make such an unqualified, biased statement about a single group of people. And yet few bat an eye when she suggests this….

jetgraphics
jetgraphics

An armed populace is not a danger. But a disarmed populace is in grave danger – from predators, armed or not.
Only the predator benefits when the prey are disarmed, weak and helpless.
….
You can’t have a totalitarian police state under a benevolent dictatorship of the Collective when the sheeple can shoot back.

Luis G Bonilla
Luis G Bonilla

She feels that the Government needs to Bann anything that we do . Think , Breath , Eat , Going to take a Dump or go take a Piss , what to look at or who we look at and when to look at any thing or any one . Our Freedoms should be taken away from us since we lack the capacity to do right or think right . The only ones to have the Freedom to do anything is those who are in power . She wants us to be slaves to those who want control over people… Read more »

mark dryer
mark dryer

Why doesn’t she leave the US if she doesn’t like our rights? Why try and strip us of our rights instead of just moving to a place she can feel “safer”. Safety first……. right?

Mickey Meador
Mickey Meador

If she is so certain we would all be safer without guns, maybe she will tell us her home address so we can all have tea with her in perfect safety.

David: San Antonio
David: San Antonio

“Regulation of people and behavior is needed, she said, “to protect us against our own stupidity and our own irrationality.”
This statement could be the “core statement” for liberal thinking and ideology.
Irrational behavior…she needs to look in the mirror and say that…wouldn’t sink in, but worth a try.
By-the-way…I think she’s a loon…

Luther Williamson
Luther Williamson

Obama lover.

sinjin
sinjin

i support gun rights 80 percent the other 20 percent ill explain at the ending of this..she spouted her bull let me give you some facts….A Little Falls homeowner was charged with second-degree murder Monday for shooting two unarmed teenagers in the midst of an apparent Thanksgiving Day break-in. The man, Byron David Smith, 64… Long Beach, California, man was burglarized and beaten by a couple, police say Female suspect claimed she was pregnant, but Greer shot her twice, killing her DA will determine whether the 80-year-old homeowner will be charged this was the 3rd time he had been robbed… Read more »

me
me

That has to be the dumbest shit I have ever heard . I want her to explain her comment there’s no such thing as a lam abiding gun owner …that’s bull shit !!!!

Kate
Kate

So…is everybody with a penis a potential rapist? I mean….they’ve got the hardware…..they may snap one day & use that penis for something EVIL! Maybe all penises should be taken away from everybody who has one because even though a man MAY NEVER have done anything wrong with that penis……well, one day he MIGHT rape someone. TRUST ME when I tell you that I’m sure there are literally thousands of people who have owned guns in the U.S. & NEVER done anything illegal with their gun. You ma’am are an IDIOT….and I’m being REALLY generous & nice when I say… Read more »

mcsey
mcsey

Could I source for those comments? I’m just curious why the people at Fox News and World Net Daily and NewsMax aren’t all over this. Could it be because it is completely made up?

Colleen
Colleen

Uh yeah. Cause a crime can only be committed with a gun. Unhunh. What an idiot. I live in Texas. Everyone owns a gun. Not one of the people I know has even committed a crime with or without a gun. The ignorance and bias some people show is remarkable!

Don
Don

I strongly suspect that the anti rights advocates are merely reflecting on themselves. When they say that someone with the additional measure of control that can be gained by being armed will use that advantage for gaining ultimate control, they are stating this from a solid foundation of what they, themselves, being a strong advocate of controlling others, would do. They assume that everyone is just like themselves and wants to control what everyone else thinks and does. They, as they demonstrate in their speech and actions daily, do not believe in defending themselves. Gun haters typically have a protection… Read more »

Pam
Pam

Ask Ms Barrett what she would do if she had a home intruder with a gun come into her house. What would take less time? Call the police and wait for them to show up which could be 15 to 20 minutes, or grab a gun and shoot the intruder before he finds you? I have a gun and a Pitbull, which do you want to see first? 🙂 I would not go without my protection for no one. AND I AM A RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER.

Whiteeagle
Whiteeagle

I Thought The ‘LEFT’ DIDN’T Want ‘Morality’ Legislated !!!! ????

Ben
Ben

I think these crazy women are not getting any sex. I am an old man whose home is full of many weapons and guess what lady? I have never shot anything but paper and wild game. Except Vietnam of course.

Magpie
Magpie

She needs to have your hair and eye brows outlawed first before she starts talking about outlawing guns………..

UAV Pilot
UAV Pilot

“She’s a MAN, baby!”

SaveTheGuns.com
SaveTheGuns.com

It is people like this woman in the article that inspire me to recruit another 2,300+ NRA Members.

Marc
NRA Membership Recruiter (2,387 members recruited)

John Bouchey
John Bouchey

That bitch be crazy

law abiding gun owner
law abiding gun owner

My gun has never been used in the commission of a crime.therefore her statement is a lie,

Mike
Mike

Apparently. according to this old trout’s logic, there’s no such thing as a law abiding citizen… one minute you could be walking down the road acting all innocent and the next you could be smuggling a kilo of Heroin or stabbing random people with a knitting needle…

Some people are so incredibly stupid, it makes me wonder in awe at how they ever managed to survive past the first trimester of their mother’s pregnancy!

Sandy
Sandy

A friend of mine has an interesting take on this. He no longer argues with gun control people. He just tells them, “If you come to take my gun, I will kill you. End of discussion.”

Kevin Brown
Kevin Brown

See. . . : First this comes out of New York, where it is easier for criminals to get guns than law abiding citizens. Second, one who would even perpetrate/conspire a crime with a firearm, such as shooting at unarmed innocent people is not a law abiding citizen. A law abiding citizen looks at things rationally (I hope) and put their gun down in the event of a stressful situation

Derp
Derp

Regulation of people and behavior is needed, she said, “to protect us against our own stupidity and our own irrationality.” —————————————————————————————- Who protects us from these ignorant morons’ stupidity and irrationality? If this country were just we’d have laws that protected the infringement of our rights that were supposedly guaranteed… I’m sick of the appalling amount of laws and regulations that blatantly infringe not just the second amendment but the first and many others… if these Marxist assholes don’t like having rights then good move to China… see what it’s like to get persecuted for thinking free. Then tell me… Read more »

Bullshit Hype
Bullshit Hype

The ” Quote ” is fabricated. This is bullshit reporting. While I disagree with the anti rights woman, Scott Bach and Ammoland are wrong. I have unsubscribed.

dave
dave
Reply to  Bullshit Hype

Re-rread the article again genius. Where in the article does the statement “There is no such thing as a law-abiding gun owner” appear in quotes. The article only quotes her as having said “You can be perfectly law-abiding one moment,” said Ms. Gunn-Barrett during the debate, “and then the next moment you can be a criminal and do something criminal and wrong, like shoot up a movie theater, or kill your spouse during an argument.” Regulation of people and behavior is needed, she said, “to protect us against our own stupidity and our own irrationality.” The article also clearly states:… Read more »

chuck
chuck

This jerk doesn`t realize, if the second amendment goes down, all the rest will follow suit. Tell me Ms. Gunn-Barrett, what are you going to say when they take your first amendment away.

Will
Will

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Kare
Kare

Based on her comment, I guess since I have been around guns virtually all of my 51 years (and taught how to respect and handle them correctly) the fact that I haven’t gone nuts and shot someone is really amazing. Can’t fix stupid.

David
David

She may be right, because i most likely will become a criminal in her eyes when she tries to take my guns from me!!

Ralph
Ralph

It sounds like Ms. Gunn-Barrett is projecting. But that’s no surprise. Liberals do it all of the time.

Greg
Greg

Ms. Gunn-Barret, I am a gun owner/carrier and NEVER HAD SO MUCH AS A SPEEDING OR PARKING TICKET in my 55+ years on this planet, so don’t slander me and say I am not “a law-abiding gun owner”! Ms. Gunn-Barret, tell me, how did your New York City gun laws stop Police Officer Rafael Ramos and Police Officer Wenjian Liu (God rest their souls), from being murdered? I know if I was a legally permitted gun owner, on the street and saw someone pointing a weapon at 2 Police Officers, I would try my damnest to stop that individual! I… Read more »

Diane Darrow
Diane Darrow

Before reading the headline of this story and seeing the picture of Gunn-Barrett, I could tell immediately she was left-wing radical. The type that could easily be inducted into a cult. Is this a genetic flaw? Do they all have limited frontal lobe left brain capabilities? This would explain why they dress and look alike, are radical political activists,smoke pot, and are in Arts. I’ve never heard of one that had a legitimate science degree.

truthbroker
truthbroker

Here, boys and girls, we have a perfect example of the effects of too much LSD during the teen years.

Ron Soyka
Ron Soyka

There is no such thing as a rational liberal!

TheRandyGuy
TheRandyGuy

‘Regulation of people and behavior is needed, she said, “to protect us against our own stupidity and our own irrationality.” ‘ And totalitarian states are born… If firearms are to be treated this way, what’s next (and there WILL be a “next”)?

Robert
Robert

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

C.S. Lewis

Ted
Ted

Joe wallendorf – these are not intelligent people.

Wendy Hill
Wendy Hill

I don’t know what they keep fussing about. I’m a gun owner. Have been all my life. I’ve never considered killing anyone but make no mistake, if I ever wanted to, I wouldn’t have to have a gun to do it. My point, as has been said before, is that guns don’t kill people. People kill people. So come on anti gun activist, find a greater cause to be fighting for and leave the gun owners alone.

Mike Bland
Mike Bland

These anti- gun people who think there are no “law abiding” people need to run with ISIS and get a taste of lawlessness. I was raised with strong moral spiritual fiber and have owned a gun since the age of twelve. I served in Vietnam for two tours and had to use various weapons. When I left the service, I have used firearms to hunt and for target practice. I have a conceal carry permit. The weapon I carry does not exist unless it is needed. So far it ha not been needed. Our world is becoming more of a… Read more »

Mel
Mel

Sounds as though she is afraid of what she would do to her neighbor if she had a firearm. Being afraid of what she would do, she perceives that others would do the same to her. She needs help.

JohnW - Vancouver
JohnW - Vancouver

The premise that we’re all ticking time bombs waiting to go off has always been there in the anti-gun war chest. “Why does anyone need a gun? All they’re meant to do is kill people and living things.” There are several in my family who feel this way. Your common sense argument that the government has no obligation to protect us is poignant. Examples of how that manifests would be even more so. The quote I use often is that I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy. To some people, it hits home. The other realization that… Read more »

Al
Al

There is some validity to her argument. In order for gun control to be effective, however, disarmament should begin with the largest group of gun owners, law enforcement. Only then will I feel safe 🙂

Melody
Melody

Her logic Ms.Gunn Barret clearly shows she’s a communist one side minded liberal. I’ve been a responsible gun owner for many years. Got my 1st 22 pistol at 16 years old & now I’m 38 . A Gun is a tool just like hammers,knifes,chainsaws,wood chippers, cars, liquid acid. If a person wants to kill they’ll use another item.we have radical Islamic,illegals in the U.S, & they want our guns.i don’t want to be raped,head cut off,tortured, Guns save lives in the right hands. I was a victim of a horrible crime.; ( they’re lots of women who have been assulted,… Read more »

Terese
Terese

My husband and his friends respect guns (for years). They are always safe and respect them -using gun cases – gun cabinets – guns always on safety. He teaches classes on gun safety. If someone wants to commit a crime, that person will find a gun. They are for sale on the streets. Don’t tell me there is no law abiding gun owner. Do your research before saying what you did.

Ron Phelps
Ron Phelps

Proof that “you can’t fix STUPID!!”

thomas
thomas

People that think like this I hope they don’t drive. Because over 95% of us drivers have had road rage at one time or another. We may even had the urge to ram a car or run it off the road or run over that person walking down the middle of the road. But we don’t because people are able to control their urges and emotions.