AUSTIN, Texas –-(Ammoland.com)- The registration deadline for teams participating in this year’s Great Texas Birding Classic is approaching quickly.
Join this fun, friendly, birdwatching competition. There are tournament categories for all ages and skill levels, so select the one that works best for you. Since the competition is now statewide it’s much more convenient for all participants as well.
Registration Deadline: April 1st 2015. Tournament Days: pick any day from April 15-May 15 2015
Participating teams can choose from a variety of tournament categories, choosing to participate for a half day, full day or more and compete regionally or statewide, including:
- The Big Sit! This category is great for teams that have one or two “ringer” birders or if you have lots of people wanting to be on one team together.
- State Park Tournament, Big Sit! or Sunrise-to-Noon Tournament. Ideal for a team seeking a more laid-back day without too much traveling around and for teams composed of mixed ages, so kids, teens and adults can be on a team together.
- Regional Big Day. Perfect for those who want to test their skills against others in your part of the state, while birding for most or all of a 24-hour period. Categories are separated by age groups. Mentor a Roughwings (13 years and younger) or Gliders (age 14-18) or do your own adult tourney.
- Statewide Tournament. Take on birders throughout Texas for either the Statewide Big Day Tournament for 24 hours of birding or enter the Statewide Weeklong Tournament for six consecutive days of birding anywhere and everywhere in Texas.
Want to learn more? Here are some quick links to some of the basics to get you started:
- How to Participate: http://bit.ly/1dNevMl. All registration forms are online, so it’s so easy to enter your team and participate!
- Tournament advice for mentoring a youth team, doing a Big Day Tournament, taking on the Weeklong Tournament, or birding with blind or visually impaired birders can be found here: http://bit.ly/1gBGwvY
- Sponsorship tips – Community organizations, bird clubs, local businesses and more could sponsor your team(s). Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1BONt7M
- Conservation grant project proposal – Submit projects for a chance to win funding! Project proposals are due by May 1st. If you field a team and if your team wins, it could be in a position to select your group’s project proposal: http://bit.ly/1BiD03c
For inspiration, check out this short video highlighting the Big Sit! Tournament: http://youtu.be/x6bSYNzP1wQ. Go to www.birdingclassic.org for more information and registration instructions.
Nature Tourism Manager, Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.
Phone: 512-389-4500; Cell: 512-241-9163
The Mission of Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, (TPWD), is to manage and conserve the natural and cultural resources of Texas and to provide hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation opportunities for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations. Visit: www.tpwd.state.tx.us