Time for the GOP to Pass ‘National Reciprocity’ for Concealed Carry Weapons Permits

By AWR Hawkins

concealed carry weapons
It’s Time for the GOP to Pass ‘National Reciprocity’ for CCW Permits
AmmoLand Gun News
AmmoLand Gun News

Washington DC – -(Ammoland.com)- With control of the House and Senate, now is time for Republicans to pass National Reciprocity for concealed carry weapons (CCW) permit holders.

National Reciprocity regards national recognition of CCW permits, so that a state which issues CCW permits to its residents would also recognize all permits from other states that issue them.

A driver’s license issued in Kentucky is valid in Idaho or Arizona. National Reciprocity legislation would ensure that a permit for concealed carry is recognized across state lines as well.

Although it may seem like an encroachment of federal power to do this, it really isn’t if you keep in mind that all CCW permits already depend on federal approval for issuance. That’s right — every CCW permit applicant goes through an FBI-run background check for his or her permit regardless of the state of issuance. So in one sense, concealed carry is already a federal matter that states are manipulating by choosing a handful of other states from which they will recognize permits while rejecting the permits from 10, 20, or, in the case of California, 49 other states that also recognize CCW permits.

Think about it — why is a Texas driver’s license good in California, Florida, and Wyoming, but a Texas CCW permit is only good in Florida and Wyoming, not California?

On February 3 2015 Breitbart News spoke with Gun Owners of America (GOA) executive director Larry Pratt about a renewed push for National Reciprocity. Pratt said:

GOA has supported for several years legislation to have states recognize concealed carry permits in all states in the same way that driver’s licenses are recognized. Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-IN) is planning to re-introduce this measure soon. Imagine this scenario once the bill becomes law: a national conference in New York City might swell the number of people in that large city who are legally carrying concealed firearms. What a nightmare—for criminals.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins.

JMadera
JMadera

Do not go far…
Here in Puerto Rico, we have no constitutional right there is only a privilege and very expensive and we are all US citizens…
Took a flight to Florida, and by like magic, enjoy the right of the Second Amendment as any other citizen…

mikrat
mikrat
Reply to  JMadera

Puerto Rico is not a state – its a territory that is CONTROLLED by CONgress just like the swamp D.C. Territory s have no Constitutionally guaranteed rights – ONLY Privileges allowed you buy the criminals in DC, Just like a US citizen – A Slave.

Puerto Rico is also where the IRS is “controled” from / Founded.

The 14th Amend didn’t end slavery – it made Everyone a slave called a U.S. citizen, and the people admit to it every time they fill out a Government State/Fed form.

Capn Jack
Capn Jack

I agree with everyone here, but that picture you’ve posted in the
article makes my hair stand up. It is a accident waiting to happen.
No weapon, even a holstered one, should be pointed where a negligent
discharge could cause harm to the wearer.

Phil
Phil
Reply to  Capn Jack

Thats a woman in the photo, nothing to shoot off, not much difference if it was on her hip.

mikrat
mikrat

WE ALREADY HAVE IT – Its called the 2nd Amendment. We DON”T NEED ANYMORE GOD-DAMN FEDERAL OR STATE PERMISSION SLIPS.

What we do need is for the umm men in this once country to get some balls and start telling those in Gov what to do and when to do it, and stop waiting for Gov to tell YOU how your going to live YOUR life.

SH^T!

Willie Jake Valiant
Willie Jake Valiant
Reply to  mikrat

I agree with Mikrat .

Tommy
Tommy

This will be great as long as the “National” part of the reciprocity does not come with strings attached to the “Feds” or BATF. Be careful of them trying to place some type of regulation into this, since they do not like giving up authority in this area.

J.R. Hawkins
J.R. Hawkins

Every law abiding citizen should if so chosen be able to defend life, limb, and property regardless where they are at. We need to vote out the liberals and vote back in those with common sense. I have a right to defend myself, family, etc wherever I’m at. I also choose not to travel in states, city’s where crime is a major problem. I also stay away from places where crime would be more likely to happen, but I also realize crime can happen anywhere, anytime, so always be prepared.

Chish
Chish

Can you imagine if you had to take a paid driving class for what ever group of states you wanted to drive in?
Neither can I. Reciprocity now!

brian winters
brian winters

The New Jersey stat police have stated that they will only recognize such a law is after it has been upheld by the supreme court. New Jersey police will sometimes ticket licensed drivers from other states who are under the New Jersey miimum driving age of 17 if the 16 year old is not driving on interstate roads or hiways. Ie if they go off highway to visit a friend.

Michael Mason
Michael Mason

I now live in florida, and hace a ccw. But when I travel back to mass. I can not carry because of the law. I hope it changes.

John
John

Agree 100%

A. Giuliani
A. Giuliani

Obama would veto this and there is not veto proof majority. I would rather they work on FOPA reform which has a better chance of passing and being veto proof. Nobody going through a state a forced to stop for a flat tire should be pinched by stupid states like NJ or MA who do not recognize FOPA.

Vanns40
Vanns40
Reply to  A. Giuliani

You act like Obama is President for life. Start looking at the long picture, or in this case a moderately short time, less than three years. Put real teeth in the law which makes jail time mandatory for any law enforcement officer who willfully violates it. Since it’s a Federal Law it will cure bad actors like NY, NJ etc very quickly.

desert
desert
Reply to  A. Giuliani

It is time to veto obozo!!

Wayne house
Wayne house

as a member of the armed forces I fully support this. I see no reason why my right to defend myself should end at state line.

Phil
Phil

I agree.
I’ve worked on average 2 to 3 weeks in every CONUS state but 3 over a time period of two years.
And another 18 countries, which don’t count.
But the mismash of state laws is crazy.

Mark
Mark

Should be that way already

Brian
Brian

I totally agree with this law. There should be no difference, if you are safe and law Abiding in one state you will be in another! I just don’t think that the current president would ever sign it into law….