Outdoor Channel to Air Encore Presentation of Inaugural Documentary: “Safe Haven: Gun-Free Zones in America”
The hour-long original documentary, which is hosted by Katie Pavlich – Townhall news editor, FOX News contributor and New York Times best-selling author, brings audiences to the center of the controversy regarding gun-free zones in America.
Safe Haven takes a critical look at the history of gun-free zones in the United States and their effect on crime prevention through a series of interviews with law enforcement, industry experts and survivors, among others. The documentary poses the question: Do gun-free zones work or are we creating an environment for criminal activity to run rampant?
The film debuted on Outdoor Channel in April and has already garnered praise from notable critics and industry experts:
“A good way to educate yourself would be to watch ‘Safe Haven.’” – Steve Doocy, Co-host of FOX & Friends.
“It’s an honest and fact-based look at what gun-free zones have or haven’t done to protect people in America…This is presented beautifully and intelligently and I really applaud Outdoor Channel for approaching the subject and taking it on, head on.” – Mike Opelka, Host of “Pure Opelka” on TheBlaze Radio.
“[‘Safe Haven: Gun Free Zones in America’] is an important part of the intelligent debate.” – Cam Edwards, Host of NRA News’ Cam & Co.
“Straying from the public discourse on gun control, Safe Haven analyzes mass shootings that have taken place in gun-free zones. Original interviews from forensic experts, victims of crime in gun-free zones and dozens of other commentators explore whether or not gun-free zones have been effective at reducing crime. Further, the film offers possible solutions that could better protect schools, businesses and the public in general.” – Editors of Guns & Ammo Magazine.
Produced by Winnercomm, the documentary features the following:
- Katie Pavlich (host) – National Review Institute Washington Fellow, Town Hall news editor, FOX News contributor and author of “Assault and Flattery: The Truth About the Left and Their War on Women” (2014, Threshold Editions), as well as “Fast and Furious, Barack Obama’s Bloodiest Scandal and its Shameless Cover Up” (2012, Regnery Publishing).
- Jeanne Assam – Former Minneapolis police officer and member of New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Jeanne used her concealed firearm to stop an active shooter during church services.
- Massad Ayoob – International firearms and self-defense instructor and former Vice Chairman of the Forensic Evidence Committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Michael Bane – Outdoor industry veteran, producer, writer and ardent second amendment supporter, Michael is also the star of Outdoor Channel’s “Shooting Gallery” and “The Best Defense.”
- Elizabeth Boyer – A police officer in White Hall, Arkansas.
- Amanda Collins – A University of Nevada, Reno student and concealed carry permit holder who was sexually assaulted in an on-campus gun-free zone; her attacker went on to kidnap, rape and murder 19-year old Brianna Denison.
- J. Eric Dietz, Ph.D., P.E. – Director of the Purdue Homeland Security Institute and Professor in the Computer and Information Technology Department at Purdue University, as well as author of the institution’s studies on active shooter events.
- Eric Katzenberg – Writer, director and producer of more than 75 hours of firearms- driven television and documentary film productions, including “Assaulted: Civil Rights Under the Fire.”
- Edward Monk – National Rifle Association (NRA) handgun instructor and former Armor Officer with the United States Army.
- Katherine Schweit – FBI Special Agent who heads the agency’s Active Shooter Initiative and is the lead agent for the FBI’s recent Active Shooter report.
- Steven Strauss – Lecturer and John L. Weinberg/Goldman Sachs & Co. visiting professor at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School, an adjunct faculty member at the Harvard Kennedy School and Huffington Post contributor on the gun-free zone debate.
- David Thweatt – Superintendent of Harrold Independent School District in Harrold, Texas, which allows teachers concealed carry with proper training.
- Among others…
The encore presentation of Safe Haven will air on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9 p.m. ET during, the “MidwayUSA Wednesday Night at the Range” programming block.
Only on Outdoor Channel. If you miss the encore, you can view it anytime at http://outdoorchannel.com/safehaventv.
To find out how to get the network in your area, go to www.OutdoorChannel.com/channelfinder or call (855) 44-OUTDOOR.
About Outdoor Channel
Outdoor Channel has been taking viewers across America and around the world on unparalleled adventures since 1993. Dedicated to the outdoor lifestyle and conservation, the independent cable network is a division of Outdoor Sportsman Group and provides a complete spectrum of riveting hunting, fishing, shooting and adventure entertainment. Outdoor Channel is received by nearly 40 million U.S. households – the largest outdoor TV footprint in the country – and is available in more than 50 countries internationally. Outdoor Channel can be viewed in HD and is accessible by broadband and mobile platforms. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube, and download our iPhone and iPad app.
For program times and other information, visit www.outdoorchannel.com.