Safari Club Int. Suspends Membership of Professional Hunter In Cecil Lion Death

Cecil the lion (left) and Walter Palmer, the US dentist
Cecil the lion (left) and Walter Palmer, the US dentist, who was suspended by SCI
Safari Club International
Safari Club International

Washington, D.C. –-(Ammoland.com)- Safari Club International (SCI) supports a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.

SCI has imposed immediate emergency membership suspensions of both the involved hunter and his guide/professional hunter, and they will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation.

Safari Club International condemns unlawful and unethical hunting practices. SCI supports only legal hunting practices and those who comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations, and SCI believes that those who intentionally take wildlife illegally should be prosecuted and punished to the maximum extent allowed by law.

Safari Club International is a 501(c)4 corporation, has approximately 47,000 members worldwide, many of whom also hunt worldwide. Safari Club’s missions include the conservation of wildlife, protection of the hunter’s rights, and education of the public concerning hunting and its use as a conservation and management tool.

Safari Club International – First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI’s approximately 200 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 106 other countries. SCI’s proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page www.safariclub.org or call (520) 620-1220 for more information

Mike
Mike

I used to be a member of SCI. It’s members do a lot of good work worldwide. Now all that will be forgotten due to this. Maybe it’s time to do away with grand slams , record books , pope and young, Boone and Crockett. Or if you feel the need to record , do it without giving the hunters name. There is too much emphasis put on who bags the most, the biggest , the rarest , and when this is done, it corrupts the meaning of the sport.

Alex
Alex

Let us keep in mind that Cecil was lured out of his protected area illegally for the purpose of killing him. If the lion had a name, I am sure that he was just about the equivalent of a domestic housecat. He was killed for his hide and head. It was a killing so the dentist could get an erection.

Mikial
Mikial
Reply to  Alex

@miller Agree 100%. I have hunted my entire life, and I support hunting. But this sounds pretty messed up. I never did agree with baiting wildlife. Where’s the fun and challenge in that. Granted, he killed a lion with a bow . . pretty cool. But it was a lion that was very used to people and was lured out of a protected area. But, having said all that, the media and the stupid public outcry is way out of proportion. Death threats? Come on. These are the same haters who do nothing about issues like Islamist female genital mutilation… Read more »

Alex
Alex
Reply to  Mikial

First off, I am not a hunter, and I don’t shoot animals but I don’t infringe on the people who do as long as it is ethical and right in ways such as population control, conservation, being hungry and all that. Even if I was, after two tours in Afghanistan, hunting the ultimate savage animal, I would have lost my my appetite for all that. What those douchebags did was just illegal, immoral and should be prosecuted or just plain killed.

Alex
Alex
Reply to  Alex

BTW, I am a Conservative, CCW permit holder, Christian, and a animal lover.

Don H
Don H

If, in fact they were outside the legal limits of the hunting area, they both should be banned for life. What they are accused of shows no sportsmanship whatsoever.

JohnC
JohnC

I am a hunter. But it is time for big game contract hunts to end. After all it is shooting not hunting.

2War Abn Vet
2War Abn Vet

There’s something disproportionate in play here. You kill one little lion and the wrath of the entire nation descends on you. You kill a few (or many) million babies, and even the President defends you.

Patrick
Patrick

The animals and shots are called by the professional hunters. Not sure how you can blame the client for following the PH’s instructions…….unless the client acted alone (highly doubtful).