Bessemer, Ala. -(AmmoLand.com)- Steyr Arms has announced that its newest SSG rifle—wearing an advanced carbon-fiber stock—has landed in America.
Initially introduced at the 2014 SHOT Show, the exceptionally accurate, innovative and moderately-priced SSG Carbon rifle was met with an unprecedented number of orders from the law enforcement community that took the last 16 months to fill, but the latest shipment of rifles now makes the SSG Carbon available throughout the U.S.
Unlike conventional carbon-fiber stocks made from woven carbon fabric that often suffer from side-strike structural failures, the SSG Carbon’s stock is made using the same “chipped-carbon” Sheet Molding Compound (SMC) construction used to create load-bearing structures in Formula 1 racecars and high-performance aircraft. The SSG Carbon’s chipped-carbon flakes combine thermally with the binding agent to form the SMC for a distinctive appearance to the stock, but like the spirals on the rifle’s cold-hammer-forged barrel, they aren’t just there for looks. The carbon chips interlock with each other to create an unparalleled tension net that is superior to steel in every direction, yet weighing a fraction of steel and aluminum.
Due to the unique recoil absorption properties of its SMC technology, the SSG Carbon is surprisingly lightweight, and its recoil absorption is unmatched. Utilizing the same barreled action and muzzle brake as the famed SSG 08, the SSG Carbon is based on Steyr’s Safe Bolt System (SBS) action, and it utilizes its direct trigger, legendary for its crisp, clean and repeatable break. A detachable box magazine functions either as a constant-feed magazine or it can be placed in a second position that acts as a magazine cutoff to single-feed the rifle over the top of a loaded magazine.
The stock of the SSG Carbon has multiple mounting points for sling attachments. It also features an adjustable cheek piece, an adjustable butt plate, rubber-wrapped pistol grip, a heavy bipod and an integrated finely adjustable rear-elevation pod. The cold-hammer-forged barrel measures 20 inches and features a twist rate of 1:10.
Steyr Arms Rifle Specifications:
- Model: SSG Carbon
- Purpose: Long-Range Target Shooting, Tactical
- Manufacturer: Steyr Mannlicher GmbH
- Kleinraming, Austria
- Importer: Steyr Arms, Inc.
- 2530 Morgan Rd.
- Bessemer, AL 35022
- (205) 417-8644
- Operation: Bolt-action repeating
- Caliber: .308 Winchester
- Magazine type/capacity: Polymer double-stack detachable box/10 rounds
- Action material: 25CrMo4 steel
- Barrel: 20- and 22.4-inch cold-hammer-forged heavy barrel
- Rifling: 4 Grooves, 1:10 RH Twist
- Sights: 20-MOA Picatinny rail
- Finish: Mannox
- Safety: 3+1 Position Safety
- Trigger type: Single-stage
- Pull weight: 3 pounds, 8 ounces (user adjustable)
- Stock material/type: SMC carbon fiber
- Length of pull: 14.25 inches min. (0.33-inch inserts available)
- Drop at comb: +0.85 to -0.9 inches vertical adjustment
- Comb adjustments: 0.5 inches longitudinal; 0.133 inch lateral (rotationally adjustable)
- Drop at heel: +1.07 to -3.8 inches vertical adjustment
- Recoil pad: Elastomer; 0.8-inch thick
- Sling swivels: Two removable push-and-turn style
- Pistol grip: Polymer with interchangeable rubber inserts
- Checkering: None
- Weight, empty: 11 pounds, 2 ounces
- Overall length: 43.4 inches
- Included accessories: Owner’s manual, Versa-pod or HD bipod, continuously adjustable rear-elevation pod, one detachable box magazine, hard travel case, sling swivels
- MSRP: $3,695
The suggested retail price is $3,695. To find a dealer near you,visit the Steyr website at www.steyrarms.com.
About Steyr Arms:
Established in 1864 in Steyr, Austria, Steyr Arms is one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious firearms manufacturers. Steyr’s comprehensive lines of premium hunting rifles and precision sporting and tactical firearms are technically mature, and their subtle elegance also communicates the harmony between appearance and substance. Steyr’s legendary SBS actions and cold-hammer-forged barrels are distinctive and unparalleled.
For more information, contact Steyr Arms at 2530 Morgan Rd., Bessemer, AL 35022; call (205) 417-8644; or visit www.steyrarms.com.