The Gun-Grabbers Are At It Again
Earlsboro, OK -(Ammoland.com)- With the gun-grabbers re-intensifying their efforts to take guns away from law-abiding citizens, it is important that we strengthen the right to keep and bear arms at all levels of society.
The Oklahoma Second Amendment Association (OK2A) continues to work with other state and national organizations to fight attempts to grab our guns and we work to restore the Second Amendment at the state level.
While, Oklahoma’s gun laws look good on the surface, we actually have a serious problem that needs to be fixed. Did you know that the Oklahoma Supreme Court has said that gun owners in Oklahoma only have as much rights as this year’s Legislature decides they do? That’s right, Oklahoma’s courts through bad case law have decimated our right to keep and bear arms.
In particular, three court cases from 1908, 1929, and 1998 have forced the need to rewrite Article 2, Section 26 of the Oklahoma Constitution (our state’s version of the 2nd Amendment).
OK2A has proposed an amendment to Article 2, Section 26 called HJR 1009. It is waiting to be voted on by the State Legislature. Once they pass it, HJR 1009 will become a referendum and be placed on the 2016 ballot (proposed constitutional amendments must be voted on by the people of Oklahoma).
HJR1009 will accomplish several things:
- It will address issues resulting from the bad case law, by clearly including handguns and other specific arms (the 1908 case stated that handguns were not protected under the State Constitution).
- It would require judges use “strict scrutiny” while reviewing Second Amendment law (currently they use a “reasonable regulation” standard).
- It will prohibit any law imposing registration or special taxation on weapons, ammunition, or components of weapons and/or ammunition.
- It will require the State to uphold and defend our right to keep and bear arms against any infringement.
HJR1009 is critically needed. At this time, no one expects our Legislature to attempt to ban handguns. However, just a matter of a few years ago Colorado was as pro-gun as Oklahoma. With an influx of east and west coast anti-gunners, Colorado has flipped in a very short time. Political winds shift suddenly. Waiting until the political winds shift is too late; we need to strengthen our state right to keep and bear arms now.
- Click here to learn more about HJR 1009
- Click here to learn more about OK2A-Action’s effort to lower the price of Oklahoma’s handgun license
- Click here to learn more about OK2A’s lawsuit against the City of Norman
How can you help? We must be prepared to put pressure on key legislators to make sure HJR1009, as well as other important pro-gun measures, receive a vote during the next legislative session. OK2A’s coffers are depleted so we need your help to bank enough funds to be effective during the next session.
Unfortunately, there are well funded anti-gun lobbyists working in Oklahoma.
You can help by attending our upcoming fundraiser reception in Norman. At this November 12 reception you will learn more about HJR 1009 and other bills that OK2A-Action will sponsor during the upcoming session and meet several State Legislators who are working to protect and restore the Second Amendment.
- Tickets: $100
- Ticket is for a couple.
- Date: Thursday, November 12
- Time: 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Location: at the home of Rod Thornton – 4410 Ashton Court, Norman OK
There will be a drawing for a new switchblade (retail value approximately $250). Anyone who joins OK2A’s Benefactor Program when purchasing their reception ticket or at the reception will be included in a drawing for a $1,500 voucher to Black Label Armament.
Please RSVP Here
About Oklahoma Second Amendment Association:
OK2A seeks to defend our Second Amendment rights and remove the infringements placed on it by our government.
For more information, visit: www.ok2a.org.