Virginia Advice for Out-Of-State CHP Holders

Terry McAuliffe
This is NOT about you or anything you have done that was wrong. It’s about our Governor, Terry McAuliffe, and our Attorney General, Mark Herring, who were both elected by a very small margin, and are a great embarrassment to Virginians.
Virginia Citizens Defense League
Virginia Citizens Defense League

Virginia – -(Ammoland.com)- 1) THOUGHTS FOR OUR FELLOW OUT-OF-STATE CHP HOLDERS

First, I’d like to offer an apology to our fellow CHP holders from the 25 states that are about to lose recognition from Virginia on February 1st 2016.

All of you who have visited Virginia over the years have been exemplary and have not caused any problems within the Commonwealth.

This is NOT about you or anything you have done that was wrong.

It’s about our Governor, Terry McAuliffe, and our Attorney General, Mark Herring, who were both elected by a very small margin, and are a great embarrassment to Virginians. Neither of these individuals are reflective of the attitudes toward liberty and freedom and the values that we cherish here in Virginia. In fact, both have been referred to as “lawless” by some of our own General Assembly members, many of who are going to work to fix the situation we find ourselves in.

Here in the Old Dominion, the anger of gun owners at what our Attorney General has done is palpable, and I cannot remember anything to match it. Herring and McAuliffe have endangered your lives when you travel here and our lives when we travel outside of Virginia.

SIX MILLION CHP holders in half the country are affected!

And all this treachery was done as political payback to Michael Bloomberg for campaign contributions.

VCDL will be working to fix this problem from various angles and we will be trying to do so as expeditiously as possible. We want Virginia to be a welcoming state again for our fellow gun owners. We ultimately want to recognize ALL out-of-state permits.

Sadly, we understand if you decide you can’t visit us until we can honor your permits. I’d be a hypocrite if I said I would do so if the tables were turned.

HOWEVER, you do have a few options if you still want to come visit us:

• 1. Open carry is legal in Virginia – no permit required and you can open carry in most places in Virginia. Our police don’t bat an eye. VCDL’s website has a list of the places that you cannot carry. And, here’s another good reason to open carry: McAuliffe and Herring HATE open carry. But, hey, it was THEIR brilliant idea to prohibit concealed carry, so they will have no choice but to get used to a whole lot more people open carrying in Virginia! 😉
  • 2. You can have a LOADED handgun in a CLOSED, but not necessarily locked, compartment or container in a vehicle. That includes a glovebox, console, and trunk as long as the compartment or container has some kind of latch. Optionally the loaded handgun can be in plain sight, on the seat or on the dashboard. Again, if concealed it MUST be in a compartment or container and nowhere else. Upon exiting the vehicle, the loaded handgun can be holstered and carried in plain view or you can unload the gun and put it in a carrying case.
  • 3. You can get a Utah non-resident concealed handgun permit or you can get a Virginia non-resident concealed handgun permit. For the money and the fact that Virginia’s permit has now been degraded by the Attorney General, I’d go for the Utah permit.

Whatever you do, please don’t judge our great Commonwealth based on our current Governor and Attorney General.

WHAT CAN BE DONE?

VCDL is working to fix “Herring’s Folly” from several angles.

a) A bill on VCDL’s behalf has been introduced by Delegate Lee Ware and will be considered by the General Assembly, which convenes on January 14th (Lobby Day is on the 18th, BTW). This bill will change Virginia law to honor the CHPs from ALL states! Expect a matching bill to come from the Senate.

Yes, McAuliffe will probably veto it, but with your help, we will work to get as large a majority as possible to pass it. More on this in future legislative updates in January.

In the meantime, here is a link to the bill:

b) The General Assembly’s “Power of the Purse” can be used in different ways to help with this battle

c) We can possibly use the courts to override Herring and McAuliffe’s actions

d) There is a petition you can sign. Yes, Herring will ignore it, but it will make a great PR item, when I say something like, “X thousand of people signed a petition against Herring’s actions.” 7,283 have signed it so far and you guys are just learning about it! Here is the link:

Since Herring is making our lives miserable, we can return the favor. More on this next week. Oh, and Herring is going to run for Attorney General again in 2017. I’ll bet he’ll be surprised at just how good our memories can be!

DON’T FORGET TO KEEP PUSHING PEOPLE YOU KNOW TO COMMENT ON MCAULIFFE’S STATE-AGENCY BAN

As of 8 PM on December 23rd, 2,818 comments have been posted. All but a handful, if that many, are against McAuliffe’s gun ban!

That’s nice, but we can do better. Get this link into the hands of others you know and get them to leave a comments opposing the ban. If you haven’t commented yet, now is a great time to do so. Click on the link and then click on “Enter a comment” to get started:

Here’s an article on McAuliffe’s state-agency gun ban and VCDL:

or

DETAILS ON THE BUSES COMING TO LOBBY DAY WILL BE READY VERY SOON

The buses are now confirmed and I will let you know where the pickup points will be, the times, and how to make a reservation. Please make this the biggest Lobby Day VCDL has ever had!

MARK YOUR CALENDARS: VCDL MEETING IN RICHMOND AREA ON DECEMBER 29!

VCDL will be holding a long awaited membership meeting in the Richmond area. We will meet at the Glen Allen Library on Tuesday, December 29th at 7:00 p.m. The meeting room will be open to us at 6:30 p.m. for fellowship and the meeting will begin around 7:00.

We will be discussing strategy for Lobby Day and the implications of the recent “audit” by AG Mark Herring and the Executive Order #50 issued by Gov. McAuliffe.

We will adjourn at 8:30 and those who care to will go to the Nuevo Mexico restaurant for continued fellowship.

The meeting is open to all, regardless of your membership status. In fact, we encourage you to bring people who have never been to a VCDL meeting before.

Location:

Glen Allen Library
10501 Staples Mill Road
Glen Allen, VA 23060

Time:

7:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Continued Fellowship:

Nuevo Mexico Restaurante
10282 Staples Mill Road
Glen Allen, VA 23060
www.nuevomexicorestaurante.com

FINALLY – MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!

About Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL):

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

For more information, visit: www.vcdl.org.

Warren Hackler
Warren Hackler

Thank you for the information, because I was going to avoid going back to Virginia at all costs. With family still in Galax and the surrounding areas I told them I would not be coming home til this was fixed. Now, I’ll just open carry!

Frank
Frank

I live in Virginia and am seriously hosed off by this illegal law. Now, you out of state folks instead of commenting on web sites like this, why don’t you communicate your thoughts to the Virginia legislators. Maybe they will take notice.

Smitty
Smitty

It’s evident that your state, or to use the snobbish term “Commonwealth”, doesn’t need my vacation or tourism money any more. Until the electorate of Virginia votes this piece of Hillary shit out of office, I won’t be back. I’ll take my money and personal carry to states that value those of us that Virginia doesn’t.

wild bill
wild bill

I have vacationed in Williamsburg for several years. Just a couple of old retired folks, love the scenery, the harbor and country side. Looks like we will be going south from now on………… You will not be getting my money anymore…………….

Robert Disinger
Robert Disinger

I reside in the “Peoples Republic Of Maryland” so I am well aware of the efforts of an oppressive state government to keep honest working citizens from carrying a concealed weapon. Maryland is one of the worst and hardest states in which to obtain a CCW and now Virginia’s liberal team is hard at work destroying YOUR right to carry. Fortunately, I have TWO things going for me… #1) We have a Republican Governor Larry Hogan who is trying to turn things around in a majority Democratic state and #2) I am a retired L.E.O. and have the privilege to… Read more »

NOG
NOG

I had plans to take the grand kids to the Smithsonian Air and Space, staying in Va. Now I think we will go elsewhere. Shame for the business entities in the state. Three kids and four adults. A week of hotels, meals, gas and entertainment gone.
I will not support the state with one thin dime until these dirtbags are removed and this fixed. I don’t see this happening as too many living there feed at the fed gov trough.

larry norman
larry norman

This alinsky, want to be, is trying to set himself up for a vice presidential candidate.he is Hillary’s toilet paper monkey. For all the democrat die hards, your old party is gone. Please read the Alinsky 8 points to creating a socialist government. McAuliffe and the NOW democratic party ate making history trying to turn America into a communist society

Jeff Miles
Jeff Miles

I live just a very short drive from the Virginia state line. My wife and I travel to Virginia very often to shop or to just enjoy a meal. I guess I should say we used to. I take multiple motorcycle trips and I always considered Virginia as a state friendly to my way of life. I guess I should say I used to. I will now just spend more time in TN and NC. I can focus my shopping and meals in KY where they still want a red blooded American and his way of life. I have no… Read more »

George
George

I live about seven miles south of the Va line. Sorry to the good people of Virginia but not one dime of my money will be spent in your state as of now. I have to fight with the weapons I have!!!

Jay Askew
Jay Askew

I sorry you guys are so unconstitutional, I don’t plan on visiting VA to spend my money any more, N.C.

pete
pete

Was considering retiring in VA, thanks for helping me change my plans. Also I won’t be visiting and spending my money there any more! Too bad love VA and the wonderful folks in this state.

Infidel7.62
Infidel7.62

Don’t go to Virginia, don’t do business with any companies in VA, and let the companies know why.

Rodney Daughtry
Rodney Daughtry

It is time to remove the people who lied when they took the oath of office. They swore to honor and uphold the constitution of the state and also of The United States. There should be legislation passed to the fact that when anyone do not honor the constitution their position in government is terminated without warning . People this is a serious problem among democrats today.

JIM
JIM

Looks like I will not be visiting Virginia until this “UNCONSTITUTIONAL” decision is over-turned. GOD bless NC.

T Davis
T Davis

Do not go visit Virginia then. Take your vacations elsewhere. Sounds like they don’t want us anyhow. From NC.

Hubert Wayne Cash
Hubert Wayne Cash

I WANT TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT NEITHER OF THESE ASS HOLES IS FROM VIRGINIA AND IT SHOWS.

Gray
Gray

Can start by arresting these treasonous traitors that took an Oath to Uphold the Constitution . Not to disrespect it and the law abiding citizens of the USA. 2nd Amendment says Not to be Infringed Upon, what part of that don’t these idiots get?! We are seeing symptoms of a tyrannical government towards law abiding citizens, while in your very state are harboring radical Islamic cult camps practicing jihad against us inside these protected and undisturbed areas?! Really? Which side are you people on?! This is Democide! Bunch of treasonous traitors need be thrown in Jail! Immediately! Start with that… Read more »

Steve Dow
Steve Dow

So sad, this only affects law abiding people of which quite a few of us have remained quiet. No more though, I think this action has slapped some people in the face who will now fight. Mr. Cantor found out others can too.

Steve Dow
Steve Dow

Can’t wait for the elections this time, they have angered a lot of people.

W ayne brumfield
W ayne brumfield

It is ashame that someone like our governor got away with calling himself a va resident to get elected. He does not repreresent me or the most of va by majority of real estate.as a voter since 1969 I am ashamed of our govener and his communist laser

Bill Farris
Bill Farris

I live 6 miles south of the VA/NC line. Spend lots of money & time in VA on business and pleasure and I don’t leave home without my weapon. Not anymore until this is changed. The libtards will do anything to screw up our 2ND amendment rights. Please vote the bastards out!!!

John Styron
John Styron

Florida only reciprocates with states who recognize a Florida CC license. That means that anyone from Virginia who wishes to travel to Florida for vacation or recreation will no longer be allowed to CC here. That’s a shame. I believe a lot more Virginians travel to Florida than Floridians travel to Virginia, so I believe it will affect the people of Virginia a lot more than us. If I lived in Virginia I would be starting a recall petition. If they were elected by a narrow margin, this may sway enough liberal voters to vote them out of office early.… Read more »

Jose
Jose

I am now retired from the Army in TN, but had to travel to VA on business quite often while still serving. My business was at Ft Lee, and I would always travel armed, the areas around Ft Lee were, and may still be a might rough. While I don’t travel there much anymore, I would not let these two stand in my way. They will not care that revenue is lost due to this, so the best thing to do is to open carry and let this policy do the exact opposite of what they intended; more guns!

Virgil Ferguson.
Virgil Ferguson.

For you out-of-staters who have been affected by our SOB twins you can carry open in Virginia. Just make sure that is stays out where it can easily be seen. Sorry about the inconvience.

Mihael
Mihael

I have personally spent my last tax paying dollar in the state of Va. I live less than 2 miles from the state line. I will avoid every business on the Va. side. I hope Tn. will not honor Va. permits until they get off their stupid butts and realize where the problems really are. I do believe the governor of the “State for Lovers” has police protection, and I have never seen a police officer without a gun. Maybe they should try protecting him without one.

Tim scruggs
Tim scruggs

I live in a small town in N C so close to Va. that all shopping is done there,my company spends on a average of $2000.00 a month on fuel not to mention groceries and about every thing else,let it be known this has stopped as of right now as I have heard about everyone else I know agree with me. I’m sure when the crack heads and violent criminals enter Va. They will leave their weapons back where they stay. All the law enforcement officers that realize that I’ve had a FBI back ground check and CCP training numerous… Read more »

Just_Don
Just_Don

My wife and I live in NC. We are both in our 60s, and retired. For the past 10-15 years we have spent the majority of our vacation money in VA. This year we will be looking for somewhere else to vacation.

k. glaspie
k. glaspie

all other should not honor va. ccw permits until this gets straighten out.

David
David

This may be a dumb question, but doesn’t the same ruling by the SCOTUS that permitted same-sex marriage in all 50 states apply to this situation as well?

F.J.Rice
F.J.Rice

I am upset at the AG for doing this. I have a home in Va. and one in NC. I now cannot conceal carry with my NC conceal permit. This action is akin to what Obama is doing on a national scale. The law gets made in the state senate not by one individual. Therefore this “law” is by executive fiat and is null and void and needs to be proven so by the Va. legislature. Herring then needs to be placed under house arrest and impeached for his actions. We cannot allow this type of political activity to gain… Read more »

H. Lee Dye
H. Lee Dye

It is sad & Stupid to have socialist as leaders in Virginia. The democrat Party people have a sick delusional mindset that is always a receipt for disaster by way of blaming an evil action on a material object. Start with removing the thugs – gangs – and evil people ! Not Law Abiding Citizens. In the mean time I will not conduct any more Building Business in Virginia $

William Kendrick
William Kendrick

We were considering Virginia as a retirement destination, but unless this action byMark Herring and Gov Terry McAuliffe can be reversed, I’m not interested in moving there. Virginia needs political change toward leadership that will protect the rights of the people instead of throwing those rights away.

Dow Pierce
Dow Pierce

Next Virginia Election or Sooner Governor, Terry McAuliffe, and our Attorney General, Mark Herring, both will be in the unemployment Line . Hope they thought of that for their actions.

Mark Nixon
Mark Nixon

Ive also heard that because of this Virginains will soon have to leave thier guns at home. Since respicitroy meens mutal honoring.

Joe
Joe

Sorry about this infringement on lawful gun owners, this is a giant step toward gun control by liberal northern Virginia. I know of no problems arising from lawful out of state concealed carry in Virginia. I do hope these states don’t return the favor.

Ezra McNutt
Ezra McNutt

I live in Tennessee,10 miles from the state line of Virginia,i have family in Virginia,i will say ive ask all of my friends (not to buy gas or nothing) Tennessee should and will do the same to Virginia,The 2nd Amendment dont mean much to Virginia,I have the right to keep and bare arms,i myself will not buy gas or anything in the state of Virginia starting February 1st 2016,Thanks for all the information (ive had my carry permit in Tennessee for almost 20 years )thanks again.Ezra McNutt.

Ken
Ken

I live in the state that elected Czar Cuomo to office, and will hopefully be kicking out at the end of his term if he is not indicted sooner for corruption. Wake up Virginians. You have a great state. Elect a govoner who respects second ammendment rights of all citizens.

Danny
Danny

Vote them out. VIRGINIA is better than the trash in the leadership role. When you elected people like this as well as Obumer in the lead role, this is the outcome. Wise the hell up VA. ….

Billy
Billy

I live in Tennessee can I open carry with out permit ?

Chuck
Chuck

Vote the bastards out of office come their next election. Send a message to all gun grabbers that they will not be tolerated by we the people!!!

Billy556
Billy556

Are you aware that Mark Herring’s middle initial is “R”?

I think its time to reveal to the World that stands for “Red.”

From now one we call him by his real name: “RED” Herring.
Maybe this will get his attention.

Lloyd
Lloyd

Can you give the contact information for a Utah concealed carry? I have a Virginia CC permit but have heard one from Utah is a good idea also.

Tim Toroian
Tim Toroian

I was born in Lexington. Sorry to hear that these DO NOT represent the spirit of the 1775 Virginia. They should move to Mass. or one of the other New England states that forgot how they originated.

r.cook
r.cook

have enjoyed traveling to Hillsville during labor day., we camp there and and spend about 3,500 during our visit. Love the area and the people. Looks like we will start going somewhere else untill this is resolved. Hope it is soon

JAx
JAx

It is far simpler than that. First notify the State Commerce Department and any of the city Departments concerned with increasing business that you will no longer be going there or doing business with any entity that operates from there. That you say is unfair because they did not do this it is fair because they let it happen… Next stay out of there. The policy that my friends and I used when I lived in Indiana and had to go to or through Illinois, no gas purchases and the only thing left behind was feces and urine. Each of… Read more »

TONY M.
TONY M.

I am a retired L.E.O. from the State of N.J. Upon my retirement, I put a FOR SALE sign on my modest home in N.J. and packed up my hand guns and rifles and and My son who is now serving in the Army to protect the rights of this wonderful country. We bought a home seated on 50 beautiful acres in VIRGINIA ! I thought i would be safe here in Va. but it didnt take long to see the reach of the liberal govt. officials! What these 2 individuals are attempting to do to the lawful gun owners… Read more »

Mike
Mike

The good people of Virginian left out an option…

A RECALL election is in order, just like the one in Colorado…

Chuck
Chuck

” VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization”?
Non-partisan? This is why you are in this mess. You folks better get partisan.

2War Abn Vet
2War Abn Vet

This is what you get when you elect Democrat operatives to public office.

Terry Medlin
Terry Medlin

Thank You for this information. I must say I am horrified by the decisions of Mark Herring(AG) and Gov Terry McAuliffe has done to the 2nd amendment. I live in NC and have a conceal carry permit and traveled through your state several times for business purposes. You guys have a beautiful state and my wife and I have travel to Virginia for tourism. You really need to get this law overturn through the General Assembly or it will cause a loss of revenue for people who want to shop and do business in your state. Why in the world… Read more »