Bismarck, ND -(AmmoLand.com)- Recognizing the continental importance of the Great Lakes region for waterfowl and waterfowl hunters, Delta Waterfowl is expanding its reach with a major new conservation priority: Delta Waterfowl’s Great Lakes Initiative.
Dr. Scott Petrie, Delta’s chief executive officer, said Delta’s Great Lakes Initiative will focus on wetland conservation, research, education, duck production programs and hunting advocacy throughout the Great Lakes region to serve the needs of waterfowl and waterfowl hunters.
“The Great Lakes is critically important and unique because the region provides habitat for millions of waterfowl throughout the year — an estimated 7 million spring migrants, 12 million fall migrants and 1 million wintering waterfowl,” Petrie said. “It supports a large population of breeding waterfowl, and up to 80 percent of mallards taken by hunters there are hatched in the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the most threatened habitats, with approximately 90 percent of the historic inland and coastal wetlands having been drained.”
Petrie detailed the first-year goals for Delta’s Great Lakes Initiative:
- Expand delivery of Delta’s duck production programs such as Hen Houses and wood duck nest boxes in the Great Lakes region.
- Increase youth hunter education courses through local First Hunt and Waterfowl Heritage Days events.
- Promote trapping as an important heritage activity and to control overly abundant predator populations.
- Promote and protect hunting rights, and assert Delta’s leadership position as the voice of North American duck hunters.
- Conduct applied research to aid in the conservation and management of waterfowl in the Great Lakes region and eastern North America.
- Serve as a strong advocate for Great Lakes wetland conservation policy at federal, state, provincial and local levels.
- Hire staff dedicated to delivering Delta’s conservation programs in the Great Lakes region.
- Develop additional local chapters to assist with fundraising events, as well as delivery of youth education and duck production programs.
- Delta Waterfowl continues to work on behalf of the continent’s waterfowl and waterfowl hunters by widening the organization’s impact throughout North America.
“The Great Lakes region has a rich history and longstanding tradition of waterfowl hunting,” Petrie said. “If you are living in the Atlantic or Mississippi flyways, Delta’s program delivery through the Great Lakes Initiative will benefit you.”
About Delta Waterfowl Foundation:
Delta Waterfowl Foundation is The Duck Hunters Organization, a leading conservation group dedicated to ducks and duck hunters in North America.
For more information, visit deltawaterfowl.org.