By Ashley Brugnone, CMP Writer
Camp Perry, OH -(AmmoLand.com)- Cadets from Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force JROTC programs assembled on the firing lines of the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) air ranges in the north, south and west to compete in the 2016 JROTC Regional Service Championships Feb. 12-14 and Feb. 18-20.
Winners of the Regionals, determined from combined scores of all three locations, will advance to the National Championship in March. The Regional Service Championships were held in Anniston, Ala.; Camp Perry, Ohio; and Provo, Utah. The match is a 3×20 indoor air rifle event where competitors fire 20 record shots from three positions: prone, standing and kneeling. Juniors received invitations to Regionals after earning the top scores in the JROTC Postal Competition – held during the Fall of 2015.
In Army, the Overall Sporter competitor during the Regional event was Angel Nunez, 16, of Trevor G. Browne High School in Arizona, with a score of 1193.8. Sabrina Keenan, 18, of Walla Walla High School in Washington, took the Overall Precision title with her score of 1277.9.
The Marine Corps Overall Sporter individual was Brian Hampton, 18, of Fort Mill High School in South Carolina, with a score of 1213.6. Haley Castillo, 17, of Eldorado High School in New Mexico, was the Overall Precision athlete with an outstanding aggregate score of 1284 – the highest precision score out of all four services.
Navy competitor Cassandra Rodriguez, 18, of Parlier High School in California, recorded a score of 1224.2 for first in the Overall Sporter competition. Her score was also the highest of all services in the sporter competition. In precision, Samantha Miller, 16, of Los Alamos High School in New Mexico, fired a score of 1274.5 to become the Overall leader.
Howard Norrish, 18, of Zion Benton High School in Illinois, set a new Navy JROTC National Record with his standing score of 185-6x. Norrish tallied a combined score of 1210.6 to earn second in the sporter competition.
In Air Force, Sean Gray, 17, of Volcano Vista High School in New Mexico, earned the Overall Sporter score of 1166.6, as Casper Schadler, 16, of Battle Ground High School in Washington, recorded a score of 1280.1 for first Overall in the precision match.
Larry and Brenda Potterfield of the MidwayUSA Foundation, who have donated over $400,000 in past competitions, have again awarded generous endowments to talented juniors of the Service Championships. The MidwayUSA Foundation is a public charity that helps communities and organizations raise funds to support youth shooting teams and activities.
Winning teams and individuals from all three Regional Championships will be invited to participate in the JROTC National Championship, scheduled to be held March 17-19 at the CMP South Competition Center in Anniston.
A full list of results can be found on the CMP Competition tracker page at https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=edit&match=13587.
Photos from all three Service Championship locations can be found on http://cmp1.zenfolio.com.
1. Angel Nunez, 16, of Trevor G. Browne HS, AZ – 1193.8
2. James Jackman, 17, of Clear Falls HS, TX – 1192.6
3. Alexander Eikelenboom, 17, of Lebanon HS, OR – 1186.1
Overall Team: Lebanon HS, OR – 4355-139x
1. Sabrina Keenan, 18, of Walla Walla HS, WA – 1277.9
2. Taylor Gibson, 15, of North Salem HS, OR – 1276.2
3. Daniel Enger, 17, of Walla Walla HS, WA – 1275.4
Overall Team: Walla Walla HS, WA – 4646-291x
Marine Corps Individual:
1. Brian Hampton, 18, of Fort Mill HS, SC – 1213.6
2. Levi Carlson, 17, of Nation Ford HS, SC – 1203
3. Marcus Stallings, 17, of Nation Ford HS, SC – 1202.6
Overall Team: Nation Ford HS, SC – 4394-142x
1. Hailey Castillo, 17, of Eldorado HS, NM – 1284
2. Cody Bogle, 17, of Granbury HS, TX – 1283.5
3. Mark Amdahl, 17, of Eldorado HS, NM – 1282.2
Overall Team: East Coweta HS, GA – 4689-315x
1. Cassandra Rodriguez, 18, of Parlier HS, CA – 1224.2
2. Howard Norrish, 18, of Zion Benton HS, IL – 1210.6
3. Matthew Pellegrino, 18, of Westview HS, CA – 1202.9
Overall Team: Zion Benton HS, IL – 4364-129x
1. Samantha Miller, 16, of Los Alamos HS, NM – 1274.5
2. Amy Delgado, 17, of Gainesville HS, GA – 1271.1
3. Heather Brown, 17, of Union Grove HS, GA – 1268
Overall Team: Los Alamos HS, NM – 4605-264x
Air Force Individual:
1. Sean Gray, 17, Volcano Vista HS, NM – 1166.6
2. Brendan Robinson, 15, Franklin County HS, VA – 1164.8
3. Kenneth Bustos, 16, Volcano Vista HS, NM – 1161.1
Overall Team: Franklin County HS, VA – 4260-114x
1. Casper Schadler, 16, of Battle Ground HS, WA – 1280.1
2. Mary Pratt, 18, of Monroe Area HS, GA – 1269.7
3. Ashley Stacy, 15, of Monroe Area HS, GA – 1265.8
Overall Team: Monroe Area HS, GA – 4655-287x
About the Civilian Marksmanship Program:
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearm safety and marksmanship training and to the promotion of marksmanship competition for citizens of the United States.
For more information about the CMP and its programs, log onto www.TheCMP.org.