Man Opens Fire Across Four Lanes Of Traffic At Robbery Suspects

Bob Irwin dissects the latest self defense and other shootings of the week. What went wrong, what went right and what we can learn from defense with a gun.

Man Opens Fire Across Four Lanes Of Traffic
Man Opens Fire Across Four Lanes Of Traffic
Bob Irwin
Bob Irwin

Las Vegas, NV –-(Ammoland.com)- ABC TV 13 KTRK reports in Humble, Texas this week (5/8/2016) a customer took matters into his own hands last night when he saw his friend’s restaurant being robbed.

Officers report the customer was going through the Beijing Wok drive-thru off of Aldine Westfield near FM 1960 Road at around 9pm.

That’s when he apparently looked in to see two men robbing the restaurant. The man then went across the street, got his gun and waited for the suspects to leave. As they left, he started firing shots at the suspects across four lanes of traffic.

Deputies do not know if the suspects were hit as they fled the scene, possibly in a Nissan. As of this writing they are still at-large.

Another customer’s car was hit by one of the rounds fired by the helpful customer. Deputies said the shooter will likely not face any charges because he has a concealed handgun license.

Comment:

This is beyond stupid! What could possibly go wrong?

I love Texas cases. In the lone star state folks may use deadly force to recover property or corral fleeing suspects. Don’t try this anywhere else or you will be in jail.

Obviously firing across four lanes of traffic at fleeing suspects is not a well thought out tactic. The Law enforcement comment that it’s OK because the shooter is a Carry Permit holder is both interesting and irrelevant.

Bob Irwin, The Gun Store, Las Vegas

About Bob Irwin

The writer is the owner of The Gun Store in Las Vegas and has a gun talk radio show “Fired Up with Bob Irwin” Firedup is now on KSHP 1400 am radio from 5 to 6 pm on Thursdays and at the same time also on YouTube “Fired Up with Bob Irwin“.

TEX

,thanks. I got the AZ non-resident license to carry in Nevada. The Utah non-resident license isn’t honored in NV unless reciprocity has recently changed between the two states. Take care

Reply to  TEX

i had a mind blank on the word reciprocity…i bet if you check, your Arizona is good here also, so you made the wise choice..carry on

Reply to  freewill

,It is. My TX and FL are honored in Utah too. I was just saying that I got the AZ non-resident to carry in Nevada ! The Arizona license is the only license I have that is valid in Nevada. The state of Nevada don’t honor TX,FL,or Utah !

TEX

,I almost got a Utah non-resident CCW but I got the AZ instead. I got my home state Texas (since ’95) and a FL. nonresident too ! The only reason I got the AZ is so I can carry in NV too. Explain what you mean about it not being considered loaded without a round chambered ? What if anything does that have to do with where you can/can’t carry ! I’m just trying to understand what you mean !

Reply to  TEX

ya cant carry a loaded gun in plain view, but its not considered loaded unless theres a round chambered..they cant check ya unless you are hunting with a license for example or they suspect a crime has been committed..you can have a full clip, or, a 6 shot revolver can only have 5 rounds unless its a double action then the next inline must be empty, the last i knew we honored Arizona concealed permits..but i think only for 60 days..there was a bill with no time limit and Brian Judy of the NRA landed in salt lake met behind… Read more »

Old Sarge
Old Sarge

To me this guy is the “WHY” the Anti-Gunners are after gun owners. He needs to spend time in Jail just thinking about what he had done. What IF you where driving down that 4 lane road and he shoots across it and hits you baby in the head with one of those bullets. Then he be doing time for murder…. Something to think about…..

Reply to  Old Sarge

‘TEXAS,LIKE A WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY’ ! Texas has the best firearms laws in the country ! Texas laws protect the law-abiding citizens rights,not criminal trash ! ‘Nuff said !

Reply to  TEX

actually here in Utah, we are a little more lax..we can carry our firearms almost anywhere we want, its not considered loaded unless theres a round in the barrel, a double action revolver has to have the next chamber empty, and if its concealed without a permit, its only a misdemeanor and our crime rate is fairly low

Reply to  Old Sarge

OS, well I thought about it. I’m thinking some form of manslaughter would be more appropriate in your hypothetical, the shooter would lack the proper mens rea element to support a murder charge.

Reply to  Old Sarge

So you think the guy should go to jail to make the anti-gunners happy ? He did something really stupid but broke no laws ! How about 30,60,90 days in the county jail and a lifetime ban from ever owning a firearm ? Would that make the anti- gunners and you happy ?

Reply to  TEX

you miss the point..his life doesnt appear to be in danger, he fired across 4 lanes and he hit a vehicle..no innocent life should ever be endangered,

Reply to  freewill

The point is this ! HE BROKE NO EXISTING TEXAS LAWS !!!

Rodney Walter
Rodney Walter

Tex, I guess your part of that 90%.

freewill

his life wasnt in danger, but he fired across 4 lanes of traffic..and he hit a vehicle..he endangered innocent people but wont be prosecuted..go figure

Reply to  freewill

He won’t even be charged much less prosecuted. Figure !

Rodney Walter
Rodney Walter

Tex, say that to the black man standing next to you in your squad. The one that is their to help save your life when you coward down.

Reply to  Rodney Walter

Coward down ? It’s obvious you know nothing about me at all….p*ssant ! I mean nothing at all ! Go salute a flag !

Grey Beard
Grey Beard

Just to mention it here, case law – a decision in a criminal case – ONLY becomes “Law” in THAT jurisdiction AFTER being through the Appellate Process! And, yes, these cases get cited all over the place in hopes it “helps” their side. They are NOT law in any other jurisdiction merely because they are Law somewhere else. And the other side will cite cases diametrically opposed to the first side. If you want to talk about STUPID, some of our less mentally astute Judges are even using Sharia law in their decisions. Those should be easily overturned on appeal,… Read more »

Reply to  Grey Beard

Hey Grey B, good description of case law.

throwedoff
throwedoff

I live in Texas and find this CHL holder’s actions extremely careless and stupid. The best thing he could have done was be a good witness and get a good description of the perpetrators, their vehicle, and their direction of travel. If he wanted to do more, he could have followed at a safe distance while speaking to a 911 dispatcher. I myself hold a CHL, and I know it does not authorize me to take the law into my hands. The CHL does not make the holder an extension of the law enforcement services of the community. I have… Read more »

Reply to  throwedoff

Should they ‘create’ a law to charge this guy with ? He didn’t show good judgement at all ! But he didn’t break any existing Texas law !!!

Tionico
Tionico

All you armchair referees crack me up. NONE of you were there, NONE have any idea the traffic density on that “four lanes of traffic” ( I cross “four lanes of traffic” on a bicycle on a regular basis, just open yer baby blues and pick a spot) NONE of you know the skill level of the citizen in question, and NONE of you know what training/experience he has, nor even the weapon he used. Some handguns that are easily carried are accurate to a couple hundred yards. Others? Wel, a friend carries a pocket Derringer .22 WRF two shot… Read more »

Reply to  Tionico

That’s right ? Who gives a rats ass what the gungrabber like or don’t like anyway ? I sure as hell don’t ! I like to do whatever I can to irritate the son of a bitches anyway !

Reply to  Tionico

,you have to understand a lot of these pilgrims posting here live in states where they are considered too stuipid to own firearms. They are treated like little kids. I guess it shocks them to see that Texas gun laws protect lawabiding citizens,not criminals ! Plus,I like to do whatever I can to irritate and pis*off the gungrabbers too ! When them SOB’s are upset I’m ecstatic !

Reply to  Tionico

Hey brother T, I’d like to buy that handgun of yours that is easily carried and accurate to a couple hundred yards! What is it, and how much do you want for it?

TEX

All these legal experts on Texas law here today ! TN law the same as Texas law ! ….Not ! Rules of engagement,Reckless endangerment, Can’t shoot at a fleeing felon in the commission of a crime ….you can ! All of these Clarence Darrows here and I wonder if there is a law school graduate among you ? Nope !

gil
gil

Rules of engagement state that you cannot shoot a escaping criminal. The conceal carry rule is you can only use lethal force if and only if your life or your love one is threatened. Had the guy who shoots accidentally hit a bystander, he will be in a lot of legal and financial predicament.

Reply to  gil

gil, there are no Rules of Engagement inside the U.S. You are writing about the law of self defense. Rules of Engagement are a military term. The rules are the commander’s tool for ensuring that his subordinates do not get him engaged in combat in a time or at a place not of his choosing.
The term Rules of Engagement (or ROE) started bleeding into our lexicon when civilian police snipers began training with military snipers.

TEX

,the main problem was distance ! He should had closed his position on the turds before even considering fire. No innocent people got hit ! That’s the main thing here !

nate
nate

You can’t begin to count the unintended/wrong targets hit by police officers in this country. This guy’s main problems were; 1 Position and 2 Accuracy. It’s only too bad he didn’t score a hit.

Rodney w
Rodney w

Wow, what color were they? WTF, is wrong with you. What does it matter? Texas gun laws are awsome. The are set up to protect the public. But, a man shooting across four lanes of traffic is not protecting the public. He should be charge with something, a misdemeanor and have him retake a ccw course. If he really wanted to stop them why not get closer. He had time to wait for them. Is he stupid? Who knows, I think 90% of our population are stupid and no common sense and rude as hell but a lot of them… Read more »

Reply to  Rodney w

It was really stupid for sure but no Texas laws were broke !

Reply to  Rodney w

They bez young black men likes da black lives matta noes what’s ssssaaaaayyyyyyyiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg ? Mows niiggaazzzz mows worser …what it is homes..what’s it is ?

TEX

It’s amusing to me that a lot of people posting here live in states that treat them like little kids too stupid to own a firearm much less shoot one. These same experts here on everything are going to lecture us on what’s wrong in Texas ? Hilarious ! You fools continue to enjoy living in wonderful states like NJ,CA,NY,IL,etc.and I will stay right here in Texas reading about you in the news. Maybe that’s why Texas is experiencing this invasion of the Yankees right now ! You have destroyed your own state because you don’t know how to vote… Read more »

james
james
Reply to  TEX

Yes he knows that, what Durabo stated was case law in TN is the same as TX for this type of situation.

wendy
wendy
Reply to  TEX

So right, Tex! Looking to move somewhere the hubby can approve of where we’re not treated like idiots. Trump’s friend Christie likes to pretend only he deserves the 2nd Amendment rights.

Reply to  wendy

,move to Texas and your 2A rights will be protected and you both will be treated with the respect you deserve.

Reply to  TEX

Wendy, Texans are wonderful friendly people. When I first got here my neighbors came from as far as five miles away to introduce them selves. But there are some things that you should know, for example: in the town nearest me there twenty-six churches and not one bar or liquor store. If you don’t pick a church and go every Sunday, the church committee will send some one around to see if you are well, because a lot can happen on a ranch, and there are not a lot of people to see on a regular basis. Also everyone knows… Read more »

Reply to  Wild Bill

,did you win the Yantis Turkey Shoot 2 years running ? That’s really impressive for a yankee ! Bill, I’m just messing with you my friend ! Take care !

Godfrey Daniel
Godfrey Daniel

This idiot clown may have been within Texas law but he’s still a jerk in my book. This is the kind of cowboy mentality that puts all gun owners, generally, and CCL holders, specifically, in a bad light. Give the anti’s more fuel for their fires.

Reply to  Godfrey Daniel

I agree 100% ! That ole boy is ate up with the dumbass !

Eric
Eric

An SBR would have been more appropriate response.

Reply to  Eric

That was definitely rifle range and not handgun range. SBR’s are really cool too. I have a LMT 10.5″ barrel SBR ! Sweet ! I put an Adams Arms piston kit in it a few years back and it runs really clean and smooth. Optics Aimpoint Pro ! All my other AR15’s and AR10’s are DI. That was the first NFA item I ever had and stamped ! Take care !

Richard
Richard

I’m Texan with a CHL and Legal or not…..it was stupid, dangerous and irresponsible. He endangered the lives of innocent people for no reason.

Reply to  Richard

I was talking about from a legal stand point and Texas law only. It’s not a crime to be stupid ! If it was most everyone on this forum would be charged with a first degree felony !

Aardvark
Aardvark
Reply to  TEX

Speak for yourself Tex! Oh, you were?

Reply to  Aardvark

are you 9 or 10 ?

Rattlerjake
Rattlerjake
Reply to  Aardvark

Tex is nothing but a bloviating idiot! He opens his mouth without engaging his brain!

Harry
Harry

I spent 9 years in the military in Vietnam in the USMC and in intelligence. I have had great training. You will never forget the first one up close and personal. My greatest fear is having my round hitting a innocent civilians or a child. There are a lot of information about improving your Marksmanship and tactical advantage. I still take refresher courses. So much has changed since I took the life of another during war.

Reply to  Harry

,I agree 100% ! You always have to know and recognize what’s behind/beyond your target. Thats my greatest fear too. I would never even attempt or consider anything as reckless as what that ole boy did !

james
james

The armed citizen could have had military training or maybe not.

Not something I would do at that distance, would have called 911 first and taken video if possible and
let the police handle it. I know my limitations and what my firearm + ammo can and can not do.

durabo
durabo
Reply to  james

See precedent in Tennessee vs. Garner. What applies to LEOs also applies to civilians.

Reply to  durabo

Tennessee ? This happened in Texas not TN.

james
james

Reply to  james

That’s ridulous and incorrect !

Reply to  james

Do you provide the explanations for what durabo posts ?

durabo
durabo
Reply to  TEX

Legal precedents are quoted and employed nationwide in the 50 states’ legal systems, and used in LEO training.. This case was used in my Law & Legal class with Maricopa County (Arizona) Sheriff’s Office

Reply to  durabo

What legal precedent in this case ? It just happened ! You’re more full of sh*it than a Christmas turkey !

Reply to  durabo

Hey durabo, cases are only precedent in the jurisdiction in which the cases were decided. Texas case, Texas precedent. Texas case, not Arizona precedent. Federal level is a little different. Fourth district case, fourth circuit precedent. Fourth circuit case, not Ninth Circuit precedent.

Mace
Mace

Too many freedom loving pro second amendment Americans fail to properly prepare for two foreseeable events that keeps the anti-gun crowd loaded up with ammo to keep firing at us. 1.Someday someone will break into your home or your car. If you aren’t home and you have firearms stored inside without ensuring they are properly secured, these weapons are very likely to fall into the black market for purchase by people who have no business possessing a firearm. Same idea with children getting their hands on a firearm without proper supervision. Buy a safe appropriate for long term storage as… Read more »

TEX

Bob Irwin is not an expert on Texas firearm laws. This old man has no business saying what is relevant in Texas and what’s not ! Now we got this old coot from NV and Weingarten from AZ trying to tell me what’s wrong in Texas ? BS ! Here is what people don’t seem to understand about this incident. Under Texas law, this man could had shot across eight lanes of freeway or whatever and it would NOT be a crime ! Would I had done it ? No. Do I think it was stupid to do that ?… Read more »

durabo
durabo

If he went for CCW training, he should have been aware that firing upon fleeing felons is illegal, unless such flight endangers human life. Charge him with reckless endangerment!

Reply to  durabo

He did nothing illegal to be charged with ! He’s not going to be charged with some nonexistent crime to make the liberals happy. He broke no Texas laws !

Reply to  durabo

That’s not what Texas law says at all !

Gene Ralno
Gene Ralno
Reply to  durabo

Wrong. Is English your second language?

Reply to  Gene Ralno

Is Mexican your first ?

David
David

It is knuckleheads like this that give us a bad name and play into the hands of anti-gunners. This is beyond irresponsible. Add up the distance from his firing position, across four lanes of traffic, and whatever distance to the escaping robbers and I suspect if you put him on a quiet range with an unstressed heart rate he couldn’t shoot a respectable group. With an elevated heart rate at that distance he probably couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. However he could hit uninvolved bystanders, or tagged a family in a car that happened to enter the… Read more »

JESSE CARTER
JESSE CARTER
Reply to  David

Great statement David, I agree TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. Mental as well as physical.

TEX

Texas has great firearms laws and we (LTC holders) help out LE all the time. I got my CHL in ’95 and have had it continually since. Jan. 1’st 2016 Open Carry went into effect (finally) and the license became an LTC,and you have the option of open or concealed carry. I like to carry open mostly but still carry concealed on occasion ! ‘Texas,like a whole other country’ !

Mark
Mark
Reply to  TEX

What color were the Robbers?

durabo
durabo
Reply to  Mark

In TEXAS? About 85% probability that they were brown Guacamolians, but then, as they say, “De noche, todos los gatos son pardos” (At night, all cats are grayish – 16th Century Spanish proverb)

Reply to  Mark

They could have been Obama’s sons !

Wake_Up_America
Wake_Up_America
Reply to  TEX

Most likely or some of Barry’s Muslim sleep cell killers waiting to attack us TRUE citizens.

Scotty Gunn
Scotty Gunn
Reply to  Mark

“Robbed Chinese Restaurant” and “fled in a Nissan” . That says black to me…..

Reply to  Scotty Gunn

Poor misguided ‘young black men’ ! They thought it would be an easier target than them stows ! Young aspiring rap artists who ain’t got dat big break yet ! No what’s I’m sayinnnnngggg ?

Rattlerjake
Rattlerjake
Reply to  TEX

Texas gun laws are UNCONSTITUTIONAL, just as they are in most of the other states! You are PAYING for your rights you idiot! Texas guns laws are illegal, but fools like you insist on supporting being forced to pay for your right to bear arms.

Reply to  Rattlerjake

the anti-gun people sure do put up a fight against voter ID laws dont they, they protect their right but fight hard to infringe upon ours