Top Five Long Range Cartridges – The Best of the Best

Long-range shooting expert, he literally wrote the book, L.P. Brezny, makes his case for what he thinks are the best Long Range Cartridges.

The Long Range Cartridge Line up
The Long Range Cartridge Line Up:

United States -(AmmoLand.com)- First off, a number of you won't like what I have to say on the subject of long-range cartridges.

Prior to starting this material I interviewed several hard-nosed long-range shooters and asked each of them the same question. “Name five of the very best long-range cartridges please”.

In each case, I got a totally different answer, except for a possible single round of ammunition, and that was the tried and true 300 Win Mag of which I own several rifles and totally agree. You see this is the problem here. Everyone out there in AmmoLand has their idea of the best of the best, and in most cases, it starts with what they own in a rifle, and shoot themselves. With that in mind, I turned to an old saying that I have hung my hat on for many years. The saying goes like this.

There are the three “P's” when it comes to the best of the best long range rifle rounds, and as you already know, I am about to tell you about each of them : Performance, Practicality and Price.

When evaluating a cartridge that adapts well for a very long shooting down range I like to look at the rounds performance ability, practicality in the field, and finally the price per round.

Somehow the idea has been floating around that shooters are made of money nowadays. The fact is nothing could be further from the truth. Making a more modest round have some staying power is the key to success, but in so far as my task, it is to select each round based on a number of factors that center around the best of the best long range cartridges, so here is the whole deal in an ammo can.

50 BMG Long Range Cartridges

M-2 Ball 750 gr 50 BMG in links. These make great rat lodge destroyers in a prairie dog town at long range.
M-2 Ball 750 gr 50 BMG in links

Say what you like, but nothing fired from a human shoulder can touch the big bad 50 cal cartridge. The fuel cell is so outstanding that the benchmark 30-06 cartridge was the basis for it by the developer John Browning in his search for an anti-aircraft round. The big 50 will send a 750-grain bullet downrange at 2700 f.p.s., then destroy almost anything in its path that ranges from barricades to warm targets. In terms of ranging ability, the massive bullet will stay awake (above the speed of sound ) and clear out to 2,500 yards before someone puts a pillow under its head. Shooting the 50 cal requires a whole lot of rifle, and in this case, I have owned several, but today shoot a very straight forward Steyr H.S. 50 with cut rifling, and it is so accurate that it has held world long range titles for back to back years across the board.

Practical? No, but a great deal of fun when shooting off the tops of bad lands mud butts at a mile away.

Price per round? Very high but through outfits like Century Arms, and Federal Cartridge ( American Eagle ) case lots are half that of much smaller long range rounds. In terms of performance. Well, nothing was feared more than an American sniper and his 50 Barrett in the sandbox.

On that note I rest my case.

408 Chey-Tac Long Range Cartridges

408 CheyTac Long Range Cartridges
408 CheyTac Long-Range Cartridge

The 408 CheyTac has a mixed history of both success and failure, but in the area of pure ballistics, it is a very deadly gunning system. As a total long range wildcat round with no parent case at all, the round is unique, and the time I have spent behind a custom McMillan turn bolt shooting this cartridge can be considered memorable at the least. Some will say the 416 Barrett commands more respect than the 408, but being a bit old school, and liking the added velocity of the big “8” over the 416, it still takes top billing in my book.

The 408 Chey-Tac sends a 419-grain solid copper ultra-high BC bullet downrange at 2900 f.p.s., or a somewhat lightweight pill being 305 grains at a blistering big bore 3450 f.p.s. That's hot in terms of a big round, and I have a close neighbor in the mountains that shoots over a mile off his back deck at a limestone bolder on the next mountain over for kicks on any given Saturday afternoon when the wind is right.

338 Lapua Long-Range Cartridges

338 Lapua Ammunition
338 Lapua Ammunition

Viewing the whole best long range cartridges subject as you care to, in most cases the real heavyweights in cartridge selection will boil down currently to the 338 Lapua. From grain weight options, price point per round, practical applications, and performance at long range, this cartridge is just about the best of the very best as a long distance shooting choice. Like the previous offerings just covered, the 338 Lapua is a military generated round that has been developed by the Fins to replace the 50 BMG, 416 Barrett, and the 408 Chey Tac as a long range snipers tool.

As 338 Lapua ammunition has built an outstanding track record among military snipers and sportsmen alike this option is here to stay.

300 Winchester Magnum or just Win-Mag

300 Winchester Magnum
300 Winchester Magnum

The short form here is this 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge is a massively popular go-to round due to cost per round downrange, options in rifle available as chambered in the 300 Win, and its performance even at ranges well beyond 1000 yards.

Currently the US Army has gone to this cartridge when chambering their turn bolt Remington 700 action sniper rifle, ( M-24's, ) and when applying a new round to chassis rifles like the Remington 2010 sniper platform, among others.

Snipers needed to get past 1000 yards, and that meant turning to more cartridge and more bullet to do the deal.

Now the 300 Winchester Magnum can hold off mortar crews and small unit snipers to ranges beyond 1500 yards all day long in the mountain of Afghanistan. As a long range big game round or hard steel target cartridge this is a top contender, to say the least.

Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor
Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor

Hornady's Dave Emery ballistic expert broke the mold on this one, and now after almost two full years of testing by way of four different rifles at, and beyond 1000 yards here in western South Dakota, I can say for a fact that we are seeing the next rising star in longrange shooting.

Why the best of the very best?

Because the 6.5 Creedmoor will stay with and exceed a pile of cartridges, not break the household bank account, and is quickly growing in terms of cartridge brand options and bullet types. Sierra has just released the 130-grain TMK in 6.5 caliber, and Hornady offers the brand new cold tip ELD-X in a 140-grain Match bullet this summer. With the new Federal American Eagle offering in a 140 grain “hollow tip” pill, and Winchester's 140-grain Match ammunition, factory loads are everywhere. Black Hills ammunition is considering very seriously offering the new round because I believe due to the Sierra bullet options now available to this high-quality cartridge company.

In just handloaded bullets, Berger has now built a new 130 grain VLD that will drill prairie rats to 800 yards all day long. By the time this copy goes to press I would not be surprised to see still additional bullets and loads coming to volition.

I believe that the 6.5 Creedmoor could be the 21st century 30-30 in terms of general popularity down the line.

Brezny with Browning X Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor, Cartridge 120 grain A-Max Hornady

About the Author L.P. Brezny:

With more than 50 years of experience in the field and the testing lab, author L.P. Brezny is one of today’s most recognized shotgun experts and authors. He is a contributor to dozens of firearms publications, such as Wildfowl, Shotgun Sports, and Varmint Hunters, and he is a regular columnist in the Gun Digest annual.

AmmoLand Editor Comments:  This article was updated to reflect changes in product improvements/availability on 08/29/2018.

Tom Schiff

Again – Smedly has sage advice.

Reply to  Tom Schiff

Smedley54? You,need to decide on YOUR VIEW, STAND YOUR GROUND and quit worrying about trying to put think opposition! Crap! Your kind of illogical thinking and “himd” sight is what makes these issues a cluster*ck!

Reply to  Gregory Romeu

“Stand your ground” is a solid tactic, but there are others. And it’s not a strategy. I’m willing to concede some things to protect other things I consider more important, but I’m more interested in quid pro quo. Would I sacrifice bump stocks just to eliminate a sore point? Oh yeah – someone else is going to use one of those things in a copycat shooting, and I don’t want to see that happen, and I don’t want to be the one defending them when it happens. Would I sacrifice binary triggers for easier access to suppressors? You bet! People… Read more »

Oldmarine
Oldmarine

Old Marine>>> A few facts
Number of “HOMICIDES” COMMITTED WITH: (note HOMICIDES not deaths)
Hands = 678
hammers = 518
Knives = 1,589
Guns = 322

inanimate objects can’t kill
they all take hands to do that.
So the total for hands is really
3107
Maybe we should ban hands????????
and forget inanimate objects???????
How dumb is the whole Gun Control debate.
Even a blind man can figure that out.
>>>> Oldmarine

Reply to  Oldmarine

Unfortunately, a large number of our fellow citizens have a different opinion. Some we might be able to work with, others are every bit as intransigent as we can be,

Oldmarine
Oldmarine

Old Marine >>> FYI 30-06 The .30-06 Springfield cartridge (pronounced “thirty-aught-six” or “thirty-oh-six”), 7.62×63mm in metric notation and called “.30 Gov’t ’06” by Winchester, was introduced to the United States Army in 1906 and later standardized; it remained in use until the early 1980s. The “.30” refers to the caliber of the bullet. The “06” refers to the year the cartridge was adopted—1906. It replaced the .30-03, 6mm Lee Navy, and .30-40 Krag cartridges. The .30-06 remained the U.S. Army’s primary rifle and machine gun cartridge for nearly 50 years before being replaced by the 7.62×51mm NATO (commercial .308 Winchester)… Read more »

James Higginbotham
James Higginbotham
Reply to  Oldmarine

right you are.
and i own a M1 Garand and a M1 carbine.
and i trained and used both as a Marine.
and i STILL will take the 06 over others today.

Semper Fi, Mac!

Reply to  Oldmarine

@OId Marine, @Wild Bill, I get an old fashioned Marine Corps’ woodie every time I read yall’s wit and logic! I would be proud to stand at either one of your sides or watch your six!

Georgiaoutlaw

Ditto I didn’t would never vote for a man like him that’s not rascist that’s being a conservative American make that has different set of values as a American Christian man of GODs world

Tom Schiff

The age old Q for any “change” is – ok – if you allow that – where does it stop?

I see no useful purpose for bump stocks – other than enjoying shooting full on auto – but the flip side is there are too many crazies out there these days to allow it.

Reply to  Tom Schiff

Yeah, you’re right! I guess it gets in the way of all that freedom and liberty crap 292nd Amendment stuff and sovereignty issues. may as well just shut it all down confiscate everything?

Tom:

Re banning Bump Stocks, which you seemingly suggest, consider the following question if you would. Where would “ban this, ban that” stop given the long advertised goals of those opposed to firearms and the possession and use thereof? I submit that that question merits significant thought.

Reply to  Alan

There will always be new laws and regulations, and some will apply to firearms, so it’s pointless to ask “Where will it end?”. Whatever we do, it never ends. Our lobbying arm, the NRA, has been aggressive in defending gun rights so it’s hard to imagine any significant new restrictions. Our immediate objective needs to be getting guns out of the news or we WILL lose rights, and I would absolutely throw bump-stocks under the bus to accomplish this. By giving on a small point we win a larger fight. An adversarial, “All or nothing”, position means continuous assaults from… Read more »

Reply to  Smedley54

100% agree.

Reply to  Smedley54

Well? The British tried it your way and it didn’t work for them. but you keep on pushing their Smedley you might be able to get some idiot to believe in your ideology?

Reply to  Gregory Romeu

Actually, the British tried it your way; by forcing their “rights” on American colonists they got a Revolution by people that disagreed. Were in no real danger of another revolution (or even civil war for that matter) but I believe in treating all citizens with respect, even those I disagree with.

Reply to  Alan

do all the heroes out there that want to throw bump stocks under the bus or in other words giving a little bit of Liberty for little bit of safety follow through with the Gifford organization, they have already lined up nine more items behind the bump stock. And if I may suggest, before you go running your taps on any further bans of ANY kind, first find out how many bump stocks are in circulation WORLDWIDE and do the math as to how many of them are being a criminal used by law-abiding citizens regardless whether you like them… Read more »

Reply to  Alan

Review the embedded report and HEED THE WARNINGS!

Reply to  Gregory Romeu

There’s nothing we can do to change the goals of anti-gun radicals, but we must avoid forcing potentials allies to their side. An all-or-nothing position is, in the long term, indefensible in the sense that we cannot hold that ground.

Reply to  Smedley54

Smedley I don’t know if you’ve noticed this in your short life but people are going to do whatever the hell they want to do no matter how you try toconvince or entice theman odds are in the general complacency of mankind they’re going to do the dumbest most outrageous outlandish decision without any thinking whatsoever because it would hurt their little pea-brain to do so. Hell, if this country operated the way it’s supposed to, We the People would be telling our “Representatives”, (Notice I didn’t bow down or bend over and call them, “leaders”?) what to do rather… Read more »

Reply to  Smedley54

@Smedley54. Name just ONE such allie that YOU are talking about that YOU KNOW PERSONALLY that is not on the side of the Constitution or Freedom or Liberty?

Reply to  Gregory Romeu

Life is shorter than you know, Gregory, and you know nothing about me. All of my allies are on the side of the Constitution or they wouldn’t be my friend.

Reply to  Smedley54

Sorry but Smedley54 would u shut up please

Oldmariine
Oldmariine
1 year ago
Reply to  Gregory Romeu

Oldmarine >>> Gregory Romeu, Alan, Tom Schiff, Smedley54 In my opinion this whole discussion on the Bump Stocks is kind of meaningless because I see them as a POS equipment. You can do better with a strong rubber band and be able to aim your shots. Who ever invented the stock sure found a bunch of suckers, a spray and pray device. I will agree though that banning anything to do with guns is a violation of the 2nd. In fact banning any inanimate object is more than dumb and a form of extreme illogical fear. It takes hands and… Read more »

Alan

Tom: Respecting your comment about lever and bolt action rifles, carried to the ultimate end, muzzle loading rifles were effective game getters for many years, and would serve that purpose still. Otherwise, some people buy Ford automobiles, others buy Chevrolette. Pay your money and choose for yourself. I was never a hunter, not opposed to hunting, simply not interested. I was a competitive shooter, National Match Course competition, first with a Garand, later on with bolt action rifles, mostly Model 70 Winchesters. Different game, different rules, different rifles, just as enjoyable for those so inclined. Being left eye dominant, I… Read more »

tom

No problem Georgia. I have some good friends from the South – manyt of whom I met at the Air Force Academy – mid 60’s. One guy from Northern Florida had such a thick accent – we had to get a guy from Alabama to interpret for us. 🙂
And the gal that sang at our wedding was originally from Valdosta, Ga. 🙂

U buy the first round, eh?

Reply to  tom

Hell yea that’ll definitely work I’ll take s Miller lite cold as u can get it ahhhhhhhhhAHHH!

tom

At the risk of getting rocks thrown at me – why not ban Bump Stocks. Further – as one who grew up hunting with a trusty lever action Model 94 Winchester in .32 Special with a fixed 4 power Weaver – side mounted -starting in the- 50’s in Oregon – and the go to for longer ranges if we were not in thick timber (which we usually were) – was the Springfield Model 1903, in “odd six” – 🙂 with a Simmons scope – 3×9 in 40 mm – I never understood needing a semi-auto for hunting. If you can’t… Read more »

tom

Smedley – thanks for the Tikka feedback. Have always liked them and maybe now will buy one in 6.5.

tom

Even if “Odd Six” sounds dumb to ye – who cares? We boys in Oregon could hunt and shoot4 – and that’s all that matters. 🙂

Reply to  tom

Lol WHAT? Sounds so stupid if u have ever read a field &stream magizine at least once u can c it’s a 3006 not ur stupid remarks on wut it is get a life and more knowledge wen u ask these stupid questions

Reply to  tom

BTW Georgia whomever you are. Do you know how stupid some things sound with a Southern Accent? 🙂

I took Field & Stream ands Boys Life, etc – all of them – starting in the early 50’s. Shot my first deer around 1957 or so.

Ye?

Reply to  tom

So what’s ur point

Reply to  tom

Lol shoot for what sounding kinda dumb again I’m trying to understand but it’s getting very hard to

Tom Schiff

Am thinking of buying a production 6.5 Creedmoor – in the $500-$700 range. Seems according to one review – the Ruger Predator? is a little better (trigger, bolt design, bedding) than the Savage Axis II, – but both shot well MOA with factory loads.. And Weatherby guarantees a sub MOA in their entry level model for around $700. Remington also has a couple models in the mix? – as well as Winchester – and think there is a Tikka for around $700. Any experience with these? Mainly to play around with long distance shooting (I was on a rifle team… Read more »

oldmarine
oldmarine

Old Marine to Viscount There is no economy without Millionaires because Millionaires pay for the economy. Without the rich there is no way for any economy to exist. History has proven this over and over again. Anyone who thinks that millionaires aren’t necessary for and economy not a knowledgeable person and has no Idea what an economy requires to exist and grow. I am NOT a Democrat or a Republican I am a Pragmatic Person that believes in the Constitution is the Most important document in history and will become even more so in the future. Anyone that does not… Read more »

Reply to  oldmarine

With the near extinction of pensions, inflation, and age, a million sounds like a lot less money to me than it used to! Now it’s the billionaires that concern me because that much wealth buys enough power to stack the deck in ways that work against most of us, and I have no idea how to counterbalance that. If wealth conferred virtue it might be alright, but I’ve seen no evidence of that.

Reply to  Smedley54

That is exactly the original reason for the estate tax: to prevent huge fortunes from accumulating in the hands of the few over the generations. Instead we give the heirs tax breaks they don’t need by taxing their dividends and interest and capital gains at lower rates than the people with jobs, who earn ordinary income.

Reply to  Viscount

@Smedley and Vis, The estate tax has unintended consequences. Small business, farms and ranches are wiped out by the tax burden that the beneficiaries are responsible for. Huge fortunes are naturally dissipated by division among beneficiaries. The problem is not big fortunes. Money is just a tool, like other tools. The problem is how humans use or misuse a big fortune, just like how humans use or misuse a hammer. The answer is not banning fortunes by taxation. The answer is within the mind of man. Morality and ethics traditionally define what is acceptable behavior. We have strayed from what… Read more »

Reply to  Wild Bill

Those with enormous wealth, especially generational wealth, completely lose touch with the rest of us, and estates are often structured so that wealth is not dissipated. But I have no objection to wealth – although I’m often suspicious of how it was accumulated – only to the unchecked power that comes with it. I never trust others, even myself, to behave morally unless some other equal or greater power exists. Taxation should never be ruinous or confiscatory, but there should be a sense of shared burden. For one thing, when a population begins to feel they’re carrying an unreasonable share… Read more »

Reply to  Wild Bill

Morality and ethics is ruled by Christ’s teachings and His Father.

Reply to  oldmarine

Old Marine, thank you for your service.

I don’t have any truck with business success or the creation of millionaires or billionaires. But I agree with Warren Buffet’s Point that his admin assistant shouldn’t have a higher tax rate then he has.

Also, this country created a great number of millionaires during the post-Civil War economic boom, and we also had grinding poverty and horrific labor practices and monopolies. I’ll take the economy of the ‘50s or ‘60s or ‘80s or ‘90s, thanks.

Reply to  Viscount

The ’50s and ’60s were an era of strong labor unions and peak tax rates around 90%. I would like to see labor with more influence today – individual employees have very little control now – but confiscatory tax rates (like 90%) destroy incentive. Rather than raising rates, the suggestions I’ve read are to limit deductions most used by high earners and remove the cap on Social Security and Medicare taxes. More relevant to long-range cartridges, advances in powder, metallurgy, design, and quality control mean we can get 308 power in a 6.5 package. Of course, it also means a… Read more »

tomcat
tomcat
Reply to  Smedley54

@Smedley54 Having read your posts here I am somewhat concerned for you. Banning some of our rights is a no no and will only lead to more banning. Estate tax is a good thing? you must be a bubble off level because estate taxes are very unfair and has destroyed a lot of small business and the heirs who have worked for a long time to be able to take the company over, including farms and ranches. Then you speak in favor of labor unions and where do you place the union boss that is getting fat, fat, fat for… Read more »

Oldmariine
Oldmariine
1 year ago
Reply to  Viscount

Oldmarine >>> Viscount
Don’t thank me for service. Thank those that didn’t make it home to enjoy life. Their sacrifice cost them more than anyone can even imagine. They are to easily forgotten or just a passing thought but put yourself in their place to feel what they gave up for us. Without them we wouldn’t be here today. They are always in my mind and think of them as my friends. Remember that when thanking veterans always say ” Thanks for your service and for those who died for us ” Remember , Remember, Remember PLEASE. OORAH !

Tom Schiff

Some great reads. For most “practical” hunting – out to 300 yards will suffice – 400 with a very good rest. The trusty old Odd Six does the job – especially with the new “veld” bullets from Hornady – 178 g – ELD-X? – based more or less on the Berger shape. Flies straight and true – bucks the wind well – keeping downrange punch. Would like to pick up a 6.5 Creedmoor – a reasonably priced tack driver – reaching out there a long way – with mild kick. Production guns are so much more accurate nowadays – under… Read more »

Reply to  Tom Schiff

Question: is it “Odd Six” or “Ought Six”? I thought it was “ought.” As is, 1906 being referred to as “ought six” in old-timey speak. Some people took to calling 2000-2010 as the “oughts.” Someone please correct me.

Tom, as experience with 7mm-08 versus 30-06?

tom in SD
tom in SD
Reply to  Viscount

We called it the “odd Six” – twang- slang – but more properly – “ought six” would be correct.

Never tried the 7mm 098 but many people like the 7 mm for a flat shooting round?

Reply to  tom in SD

Ur excused sorry for the un needed blasting I gave u forgive me if u can

Reply to  Viscount

@Viscount, Neither. It is aught six. Aught is a very archaic word for zero, the place holder in mathematics. The 30 06 is the thirty caliber cartridge of the year 0 six meaning 1906. No one uses the term aught anymore. We use zero. Aught is a remnant of a by gone era.
aught, a noun, the digit 0; zero.

Good history piece. Thanks. We still called it “odd” six. 🙂

Reply to  Tom Schiff

I’ve hunted with a 3006 all my life deer hunting with my dad brother cousins granddad and friends and we never called it a odd six man really kinda dumb that’s nearly 200yrs of deer hunting with the trusted 06 wow no disrespect but that does sound very dumb

Thank you!

Reply to  Viscount

Do u guys on here think the 3006 r 308 will ever become rifles of the past

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Never. .30 caliber hits harder than smaller caliber bullet – great for hunting.

flarebel
flarebel
Reply to  Viscount

you don’t know how stupid yankkee accents sound to us Southern born & bred sound. worked with 1 who said crick for creek . another i use to run ito at breakfast time got his grits in a bowl & put sugar & cream on them.

Reply to  Tom Schiff

Trusty old 06 -/ odd six get more knowledge started with plain old bar 3006 finally got a bar safari in 3006 Best most accurate auto rifle I’ve ever shot for deer hunting purposes get one youll understand

Michael J. Bowden
Michael J. Bowden

wild Bill is right, the last so-called president did more to hurt this country than any leader in the history of the United States! Let’s all be thankful to our creator that Trump is now our president and not Hillary Clinton who would have been an extension of Obama policy only worse ! I know because we had to endure the Clinton’s for decades here in Arkansas.> May our 2nd amendment rights never be infringed upon.

Georgiaoutlaw

Very well said again I bleeve I’ve made that same statement concerning brobama and his shanaguns

James
James

I believe the second Amendment of the US Constitution guarantees all other rights of the Constitution. If they violate the 2nd amendment then in order to confiscate firearms, they will have to enter everyones home, this includes the non firearm owning liberals who grow their own and probably voted for gun confiscation as well as the general law abiding person who just wants to protect his or her family from the many unknown possibilities. While they are searching everyones homes and vehicles in violation of our rights ,how many crimes will they see or uncover during the search. So will… Read more »

Reply to  James

A frontal assault on the 2A would fail – now and in any foreseeable future. Northeastern and Western states might go along, but most others would just laugh. Without changes to the Constitution, most anti-gun legislation by Congress would be rejected by the Supreme Court, so that route is blocked. Bump-Stocks and other fast fire “enhancements” are probably doomed because that can be done without Congress risking any blame.

Reply to  Smedley54

Does that mean that we’re going to have to turn in our shoelacesthat we use for bump fire?

Reply to  Smedley54

Ultimately, The Congress bears responsibility for DOJ/ATF antics, something which to many people seem to forget.

oldmarine
oldmarine

Old Marine >>>> to the thread The long range loads aren’t very good for hunting because of the damage they do.They are mostly for target shooting or hunting enemies at long range. I have seen hunters bring down the biggest of game with one arrow at as much as 200 yards with their bow. In combat a powerful long range weapon can be an advantage but also can giveaway your position so bigger artillery can now target you. I believe that this thread is supposed to about the loads used more that the weapon using them. Bullets change in flight… Read more »

Alan

My own experiences with long range shooting, 600 yards and beyond, are as follows. At 600 yards prone, shooting with iron sights, had loads, and a Model 70 Winchester Standard Target Rifle, I could consistently hold inside the 10 ring respecting elevation, usually dropping a few shots to windage. With the same type rifle in 30-06, close to that, but not quite as tight. At 1000 yards, with a caliber .308 Winchester, I might just as well have thrown mismatched rocks. At 1000 yards, shooting the old 5v target with a WInchester made Garand and hand loads, I could pretty… Read more »

Oldmarine
Oldmarine

Old Marine to all If you criticize any one for spelling or grammar then then conversation is above your head. Spelling and grammar are to enhance the subject but is not necessary to hold a conversation. I have traveled to many country and find that many words ahve the same meaning and you can go a little crazy trying to figure out what the meaning is . The purpose of talking or writing is to exchange or transmit a thought to others with sounds or sign language. Spelling is very unimportant in the spoken eord and can be in many… Read more »

Reply to  Oldmarine

Well put sir that’s exactly my feelings on the subject pertaining to this forum. Thanks

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Oldmarine you have said it exactly to the point correct wen reading conversation so much easier capitalize and dot every i anyone with little since can figure that one out

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Lol I did it again, meant to say not to dot every i and cross every T is easier not to wen ur typing in a forum such as this

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Obama is a pure natural born liar

Reply to  Oldmarine

@OM, Negitive. The burden of clearly communicating ideas is on the author. Spelling, punctuation, and grammar are the authors tools, developed over hundreds of years of writing. To say that these tools are unimportant is a slap in the face to all of the authors that have worked hard, in the past, to meet the communications burden. We must come up to standard. Anything less is “unsat”. To criticize readers that do not understand the author because he does not use the tools of English composition, is to attempt to raise ignorance above education, and indolence above industry. Absent grammar,… Read more »

Reply to  Wild Bill

Sir wen I doit I don’t doit because I don’t no how I doit because it’s much faster and these fones have minds of ther own sometimes don’t mean any disrespect just saying it’s faster just type it like I say it hoping everyone reading can figure it out if not please just ask I’ll be glad to go into further detail on the subject thanks very simple to ask

oldmarine
oldmarine
Reply to  Oldmarine

Old Marine > >> Wild Bill I like many of your posts and in answer to your remarks about spelling and grammar, I believe that you are missing the point. of the conversation. Those things are not necessary in a conversation but if you are writing a book or something for publication then they are relevant. In my 82 years I have been to many countries and your notion disappears instantly. I was a Marine for 20 years and spent the next 20 years traveling the world and found that language is reduced anything but spelling and grammar. You must… Read more »

Reply to  oldmarine

@OM, What? Just 82? You will be celebrating the Birthday of the Marine Corps for many years to come.

Reply to  Oldmarine

I’m in May married to a beautiful Mexican lady citizen of these United States two good looking boys and I speak very little Spanish and understand prolly even less but we love each other and our kids r our life I’m to old to learn another language English is tough enough lol

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

My wife is born Mexican we/she went thru naturalzation to become a US citizen speak good English with Spanish accent the best women I will ever want as wife and mother of my 2boys we started to started the process under George W finally finished because of a sorry lawyer we started using not doing his job immagration told us get info from him call them and we could do it our selves so that what we did finally finished under obama not happy bout that but it is what it is but she’s a legal US citizen now and… Read more »

Georgiaoutlaw

HrC is a lieing caniving BITCH hope we as American ppl r completely finished with her and hubby dear

Frank
Frank

Think it would depend on target do decide the best round for a given job… Hardened targets at 800+ yards.. I would think something that starts with a 4 or 5 would be best. Soft targets at that range I’m sure something with a 3 in front would be perfect. Yeah a 300 mag or 338 can stop a car at that range… But the big 50 might be more likely to make it explode taking out the 4 guys inside.

David Johnson
David Johnson

6.5 Creedmore is the usual choice today. Low recoil great long distance, enough downrange hitting power fir most.
It is selling about one third of all rifles in many gun stores.

Georgiaoutlaw

I completely agree trump is in he loves this country same as we should give him a chance fact is obama was terrible and he will answer to God above for how he had tha chance and did nothing good for the American people the president is our leader and forever grateful Hillary didn’t follow brobama

Drew
Drew
Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Pretty sure Obama did what he thought was right, even by God, we just disagree with what is right. Pretty sure that’s most politicians.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Drew

If you think promoting and supporting the killing of millions of unborn fetuses by means that would make most people sick to their stomachs is “even by God”; then you must be so far left you are blinded. There is no ” we just disagree with what is right” —– that is just wrong – period. And by making it mandatory to buy a ‘commercial product (insurance)’ with fines and penalties to punish you if you don’t – IN AMERICA!!! How socialist/fascist can you be not to see that is wrong by any interpretation of what it is to be… Read more »

GTL4hire
GTL4hire
Reply to  Tom

Well put Tom!

Randy
Randy
Reply to  Tom

Brilliant Tom, I wholeheartedly agree !!!!! !!

Redhawk
Redhawk
Reply to  Tom

Do you have insurance on your vehicle? It is a mandate in most states, also the ACA (Obamacare) was a construct of the GOP’s HERITAGE FOUNDATION, and was conservatively acceptable, when it was labeled “Romneycare”., Obama signed on to it, as a half measure, figuring he couldn’t get “single-payer” (like the rest of the civilized world) passed.

Ansel Hazen
Ansel Hazen
Reply to  Redhawk

Romneycare wasn’t acceptable to my family when it appeared and we promptly moved out of state. And as far as I’m concerned if my drivers license is good in all 50 states (with attendant insurance) my concealed carry permit should be too.

Reply to  Drew

Ur a democrat I suppose u don’t belong in this forum I don’t believe

Reply to  Drew

Obama never even liked the USA much less loved it he was the the most crooked corrupt president America ever had up to him obama was terrible I cudnt ever vote for someone like him that’s not rasist that’s just the way I believe jimmy carter was good person just terrible president obama was bad in every way possible can’t think of one thing he did good except step dwn wen his time was done

Reply to  Drew

Democrat I’m sure

Reply to  Drew

Every time I read this I get sick to my stomach obama did never even was gonna do good for our country he and wife Mikal neather one of them cared for America they nearly achieved their goals and that was to tear dwn America thanks to GOD above they didn’t complete their goal always tickled that ther gone along with miss bitch Hillary

Reply to  Drew

Obama is and was and always prolly will be a liar worst president of these United States ever wer hell u been sir if u think any different sorry if it hurt feelings but statement is so true

Reply to  Drew

If u think that obama was a natural born liar give me a hell yea he was with out a dought Athens worst president of these United States of America

Reply to  Drew

I submit that you may be being overly generous to Mr. Obama, which is something you ar free to do. For myself, I would be less generous, as I never thought much of the man.

Reply to  Drew

WHEN did Obama EVER refrence his relationship WITH, God?

Reply to  Gregory Romeu

Never Never Never nothing wud be better for me than to never see r hear that man or his Secretary of State miss bitch Hillary clinton Now I just changed hi mounts to a low medium scope mts on a Browning safari 3006 with a Bushnell legend ultra hd rifle scope for deer hunting hope these lower mts will make the rifle better

Ray S
Ray S

Dear Friends: God does not need our vote to put a President in office.He puts in office who he chooses to for his own purposes. Even though we might not like the president that gets voted in, it is in our best interest to praise him for it because of his love for us. If you have read the Word Of God concerning Israel you know by now that he allowed what kings he wanted in, and a lot of it due to their unwillingness to obey him. Not trying to change the state of this site of course. How… Read more »

Dwight Crumpacker
Dwight Crumpacker
Reply to  Ray S

I was really surprised that the 338 Edge wasnt listed as was not the 300 ULTra mag. Both fit the 3 Ps and one out shoots the Lapua 338. I use the 300 Ultra for hunting and target fun into the 1500 yrd range. Using the 208 Hornady AMax. Very deadly on Elk and Moose at long range.

Reply to  Ray S

You don’t read the, Bible much, do you? Cause of you did, you wouldn’t be spouting off the way you did in here.

Chris Reade
Chris Reade

I think some of you gentlemen need to reread the article. It’s not about the best deer round. If you go by his 3P philosophy. I have to agree 100% with his conclusions. I do have to add that I have just purchased a DPMS 308, a RPR in 6.5 Creedmor, and a Barrett A821 50 cal.. I hunt with a Savage in 7mm magnum, or a Marlin 30-30. I have spent years competing in SASS and general target shooting. None of the weapons I own were acquired for one specific reason, or for one job only. Each one has… Read more »

Reply to  Chris Reade

Enuff ppl here speak of guns and politics sorry if we affend u Hillary needs a bullet between her evil eyes and maybe bill also

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

A passing thought that you might consider, re what you seem to propose, if I misread your post, apologies. Shooting unpleasant political types, which is a temptation, though one to be resisted I submit, has a serious downside. It makes martyrdom them, which means that you are never rid of the sob’s. You might consider that aspect.

Toecutter
Toecutter

Dude you are a wacko!
Leave it out of a simple discussion of calibres would you??
The US is just as full of backward religious zealots as Saudi Arabia and I don’t want to hear your Neanderthal, tobacco chewing views while I talk guns.
Enough about Hilary already – she is gone. Old news.

Reply to  Toecutter

Lol keep on cutting ur toes Hillary’s gone hopefully forever but I still enjoy reading and talking with others how bad she was and is terrible lady just terrible

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Bubba clinton wouldn’t of had a good economy during his term if Reagan hadn’t paved his way with tax cuts exactly wut trump is doing something brobama wouldn’t even consider shows his feelings tthr country glad he gone Hillary not in hope we finished with them all together

Reply to  Toecutter

Think ur a democrat sorry for you if u are open ur eyes look see what everyone else has seen the clintons need to be gone

Georgiaoutlaw

Praise the lord above we not have Hillary as president

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

@GOL, Yes, praise God, and Merry Christmas.

Reply to  Wild Bill

Lol another democrat I suppose wildbill wer u been on this forum not heard much from u in a while I need some help out hear the dems are ganging up on me lol

William
William

My goodness we don’t need to hit deer at 500 yds +. We don’t need military sniper lads .i do not under stand the lack of 7mm mag recognition I have shot a 7 mm for 8 yrs now and have loved it.remington sendero sf lll and been more than satisfied
. Good rifle needs a good scope .ldecided on a4x12 x50 Swarovski 1 in tube. Ballistic reticle .14 shots 14 kills no running involved 139 grr hornady btsp love it William.

Bob
Bob
Reply to  William

William, and many others – You’ve missed the point of the article – WHERE DOES IT SAY BEST DEER ROUND ?
So many post go into what they hunt with in their neck of the woods. Sorry but SO WHAT -that is NOT what this article was about. The Hunting exception would be those that use Prairie Dog extermination as a 2nd reason/justification for that expensive rifle and round of ammo. Like the 338/416 Rigby Improved out of a 45lb (or heavier) Rifle.

Reply to  William

I may have never killed a deer at 500yds but close to that distance a couple of times in my past but I do like knowing and feeling confident that I can make the shot if I choose to take one at that level with my 308 r my trusted 3006 safari will help get the job done

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

You talk all u want bout president trump at least the ones with guns he has our back u can about guess the next dummy crat that holds the presidency will go rite after our guns no matter what we do with target hunting r just plinking a democrat will take our guns any and all of them they all suck

Brad Steele
Brad Steele

My daddy shot a .264 magnum Winchester most all his life. There ain’t a .300 mag ever made that’ll shoot with it.

Reply to  Brad Steele

My ole grade school buddy used to shoot in 500 and 1000 yard NRA matches – and swears by his Win .264 MAG – and he had a closet full of rifles. He played College football – at 6.5″ and about 290 lbs – so recoil was no bit thing to him.
Nowadays – in our 70’s – he might prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor? 🙂

# meat in tha freezer the 308 ruger rules

BobD
BobD
Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Never heard of the 308 ruger; where did you find that cartridge?

Reply to  BobD

Sir we’re u been that’s about all we shoot in our hunting club here in Georgia

Reply to  BobD

Sir we’re u been that’s about all we shoot in our hunting club here in Georgia a couple 3006 & few 270s rest r 308s bolt guns one lever action browning in 308

Reply to  BobD

The cartridge is a 308 the rifle launches is a ruger the cartridge is 308win sorry u was confused maybe I didn’t clarify thanks

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Ruger American 308 Federal Ammo gets it done horns on the wall meat in the freezer

Georgiaoutlaw

No to that 270 all yes to 308 &a150gr bullet zeroed at 200yds a deer doesn’t have a chance

Georgiaoutlaw

This one for mom just for the sake of saying it I don’t like bill Clinton very much and I absolutely hate with a vengeance that snake in the grass Hillary Clinton wow hope we never ever have to deal with them ever again

Mike Creedmore
Mike Creedmore
Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

That charlatan, Trump is the worst president ever
rich people first then nothing
bring mccain in office and i am a democrat

ok back to guns i am looking at ruger precision shooting 6.5 creedmore

any comments?

john
john

not to a jerk

Bob Cloninger
Bob Cloninger
Reply to  john

If we stay quiet around jerks, very little will ever be said.

Ruger’s Precision Rifle has earned a reputation for being too good, and 6.5mm anything has great ballistics, whether the Creedmoor, Lapua 6.5×47, Remington 260, or the 6.5×55 Swede.

Gunnz15
Gunnz15
Reply to  john

I said n about year two of oh boy’s first term that in the long run he could be the best thing ever happened to this country. Proving to be right. I hope. None of this lying and corruption (not to mention all these sex related shenanigans) would have been uncovered if dt had not been elected. He got elected as a direct result of all the suspected establishment bulls#@t!!

God help us if they bring him down.

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

, if you are a democrat then you are one in a group of corrupt persons, and I can see why you would not like Donald Trump. President Trump presents a threat of extinction to both corrupt parties. Trump’s touch stone is “What is best for most of the people?”. The answers are a strong middle class through lower taxes; more real jobs through lower taxes; and more freedom through less regulation.

Roger Tagtow alias Jack Sully
Roger Tagtow alias Jack Sully

You are right Wild Bill.

Reply to  Wild Bill

Wild bill u r completely correct president trump is trying to do wuts best for the American people of the dumacrats and select republicans would get outta his way

I ditto that comment

Reply to  Wild Bill

Well put wildbill u said exactly tha truth that most democrats don’t want to hear and prolly don’t believe again well said sir

Tom Says
Tom Says
Reply to  Mike Creedmore

Can’t say president is bad until he’s done in office. You just go to show the stereotype that the left wing holds. With that 7mm rem mag ftw.

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

U have problems that this isn’t gonna solve if we made it thru brobama surely we make it thru trump at least he does care for this country and it’s ppl

mike grunewald
mike grunewald

I think Obama is hoping for the 72 virgins beats the hell out of Muchelle

Reply to  mike grunewald

Funny lol very FUNNY

mike grunewald
mike grunewald
Reply to  Mike Creedmore

get this idiot of the page he is nuts

pat
pat
Reply to  mike grunewald

If there’s one thing that this comment section proves, it’s that the republicans definitely don’t give two shits about education.

Both parties are corrupt, and if you think Trump or Hillary have your best interests in mind, well… Let’s just say it helps me to understand why most of the people here have horrible grammar and punctuation. This site even has spell check for fucks sake.

Reply to  pat

No sir. It’s just much to easier and faster. To just type it out,let everyone figure it out.sorry if u can’t thats the way I do it

Reply to  mike grunewald

Love u sir

Hd red
Hd red
Reply to  Mike Creedmore

Nothing other than you have a low IQ, and no common sense won’t handle Moron!!! Worst president ever, and you mention McCain, you’re a waste; if you look up to those like McCain, Clinton, or Obama the only thing you’ll be shooting is a sling shot, what does a Demoncrat rat know about guns? If I was a Creedmore fan before, I wouldn’t be after reading your comment; I can tell you know as much about guns as you do a rock on the moon!!!

pat
pat
Reply to  Hd red

Well at least you used some punctuation and your spelling looks alright. That being said, your comprehensive reading is absolute shit seeing as how you’re replying half to my comment, and half to someone else’s. Also you’re punctuation placement is off. I’ll give an example. “Nothing other than you have a low IQ, and no common sense won’t handle Moron!!!” Should probably read like this. “Nothing, other than you have a low IQ and no common sense Moron!!!” I really don’t get why you threw in the “won’t handle”, It makes it really hard to understand and I don’t exactly… Read more »

Reply to  pat

Your really stupid sir. You don’t have a clue who ur talking to on this forum but let me guess that’s why ur here got on by mistake now can’t find ur way off go get fucked with ur Hillary clinton May bill treat u right also

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

I love hunting rifles Hillary needs one between her evil eyes

Troy Shane, USMC
Troy Shane, USMC
Reply to  Mike Creedmore

6.5 Creedmoor is a great up and coming round. However, it depends on what you’re using it for. Honestly, the best 6.5 round for long range accuracy and high BC, is the 6.5 Norma (284). If you are shooting big game at long range (>1,000 yds), my preference is the .338 Lapua, and the 7mm Mag from 600-1,000 yds. Less than that, the .308 will work very well and keep costs down. If you’re not killing large game at these distances, and are looking to shoot competitively, 3 rounds come to mind. 1) 6.5 x 284 NORMA 2) 260 Remington… Read more »

Alan

Troy: My rifle shooting experience was limited to National Match Course type competition, hunting never interested me. I started with a Winchester made Garand that I used for a number of years, finding it completely adequate, with handloads, out to 1000 yards on the old 5V target. As I recall, I regularly scored in the mid 90’s out of a possible 100. Unfortunately, off hand was the hole into which I fell, never to climb out. I never practiced it as I should have. Later on, having switched to bolt action rifles, mostly Model 70 Standard Target Rifles in calibers… Read more »

Reply to  Alan

Great history.

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

Great rifle anything Ruger u made a good choice

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Mike Creedmore

What a sad day – why don’t you just give up your guns – that is what your party wants. And if you don’t have any guns – are you just trolling this site to input your socialist agenda? Bama promoted and supported the abortion of millions of unborn fetuses and even supported bills that would make aborting fetuses at ages in utero that is considered survivable by medical standards. He was the MOST anti-American president this country has ever seen. He and your party for the first time in our history as a democracy/republic made it mandatory to buy… Read more »

Reply to  Tom

Instruct me if you would. I fail to see the connection between rifle shooting, either for hunting or target competition, or self-defense, should the need arise, and abortion. Thanks.

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

Great choice excellent if ur shooting Democrats lol

Reply to  Mike Creedmore

Trump voters got conned by the biggest bullshitter in NYC. No one does business with him here. He couldn’t manage his way out of a brown paper bag. Total blowhard. Tax breaks for billionaires and another $1 trillion to the deficit for our kids to pay for.

The Ruger is a good choice in 6.5 CM.

Reply to  Viscount

I’m no fan of taxes, but I’m sick that we’re leaving so much debt to my children and grandchildren. Trump has left a trail of bankrupt contractors and partners that’s hard to miss, and rather than draining the swamp he seems to be stocking DC with new predators.

With a tuned Remington 700 in 260 and another in 6.5CM, so it’s fair to say I think highly 6.5mm. For off the rack accuracy, anything 6.5mm from Tikka is a safe bet, and with their 22lr that’s patterned after the T3 action practice will be cheap.

Reply to  Viscount

Ur kinda dumb sir trump wouldn’t have the company that he has if he was a stupid blow hard he is a very smart to take care of all his millions of dollars maybe jelicy starting to stir around here

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

Glad u like guns I do to and I hate the clintons very much hope we don’t need that drama that comes with them two from all angles

Ralph
Ralph

My “reach out and touch someone” rifle shoots .270 and I am more than pleased with it and my 30.06. Never seen ANYONE use a .50 for hunting. My brother swears by his .338 Lapua and I certainly cannot disagree with him on that choice.

Reply to  Ralph

Ever shot 7mm-08 Remington?

Your mom
Your mom

I love bill and Hillary Clinton.

DAN III
DAN III
Reply to  Your mom

Your mom,

You are either an idiot or a bad comediene.

Reply to  DAN III

lol I’m neither u may need to learn to spell before u start commenting bill isn’t very good and Hillary is forever a sadistic joke that feels she deserves the White House just because if anyone cud be worse than Obama sorry to say it would be Hillary go cry somewhere else not here

DAN III
DAN III

Georgiaoutlaw,

I can read that you are another product of the abysmal, government school system. Before you criticize my typos perhaps you should clean your own comments of misspelled words, run on sentences and lack of punctuation. You do have some arrogance attempting to correct me when you yourself failed 2nd grade English class.

GFY Einstein.

Reply to  DAN III

Funny my friend please don’t get to riled up it’s all in fun have a great day

Reply to  DAN III

And just for the record.im so very glad Hillary didn’t make it to the White House and hope she NEVER does she would be so so bad for America

Reply to  DAN III

I just reread ur comment about me not punctuation in my comments on this site I feel it easier that way and most ppl with any commen since can figure that one out u really piss me off u sound real intelligent ur self sir go F$-k ur self kind sir

Reply to  DAN III

It’s actually imbecile I do believe lmfao have fun brother good shooting r hunting wut Eva u do have fun don’t take things to serious

Reply to  DAN III

So glad Hillary isn’t in the Oval Office hope she gets wut she deserves PRISON PRISON PRISON

Reply to  DAN III

Hillary should be with Anthony weener in prison

Toecutter
Toecutter
Reply to  DAN III

you are a bad speller – that we know as a fact!

Reply to  Your mom

Well, this took a turn for the weird.

Reply to  Smedley54

Yep

Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

.338 Lapua seems like a lot of power for any actual hunting we might do.

Reply to  Your mom

I would love to never c r hear of them again horrible people especially the beloved HILLARY wish she would just crawl in a hole somewhere and just shut up& go away and I don’t punctuate on here because it’s easier and faster to type these comments out have a good day sir or ma’am wuteva u r still prison for Hillary would be niceWaiting on that day to come

Reply to  Your mom

Bill and shrillary Clinton sucks sorry but it’s true

Tcole
Tcole
Reply to  Your mom

They are huge Aholes…

Reply to  Your mom

The truth has finally can out bout that crooked Hillary Clinton the lies have caught up to her told u she was no good from the beginning Hill and bill just need to quietly just go away leave the public life enjoy the new grand baby leave the American people alone

Sunny
Sunny
Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

I agree but when are they going to bring to trial?

james Higginbotham
james Higginbotham

Howdy.
well, i’m old school, but my favorite all time hunting and long range cartridge is STILL THE 30/06 IT HAS NEVER FAILED ME.

Alan

Funny you should mention that, for the 30-06 cartridge, fired in either the Garand or Bolt Action Rifles never failed me either, and that included target shooting at 1000 yards

James Higginbotham
James Higginbotham
Reply to  Alan

Alan.
i own both and neither has ever failed me, but i also keep up with the cleaning and maintenance of all my firearms.
i was first induced to the 30/06 round when i joined the Marine Corps back in 1960.
and have never looked back lol.

thomas schweikert
thomas schweikert

too too true

lsume
lsume

The only big rifle that I own is the old Springfield M1 hence 30.06. I’ve got numerous .22 rifles because they are still cheap to shoot. Like many out here in ammoland, I’ve got my Ruger 10/22. However, by the time I got the end of the barrel threaded to receive either of my two legally owned cans and also the following; a Volquartsen speed slide and Volquartsen trigger with a Mongoose scope and a silicon shaft to replace part 20B to quiet the back slap I’ve ended up spending over $1,200 on that particular rifle. I don’t know for… Read more »

Reply to  lsume

Some women are like that.

Longtime
Longtime
Reply to  lsume

Isume I believe that if your wife thinks you have too many weapons, [and I don’t mean anything rude or mean…All in fun.] I would say you have too many wives….just personal preferences because I’ve found that a whole gaggle of weapons is cheaper than one wife…and oft times warmer to sleep with. Do weapons come in gaggles? Okay, so back to the true reason for this forum. I shoot a Barrett .416 with the B.O.R.S. system. The 416, as I’m sure most of you probably know was designed to keep their solid brass slugs that are turned on a… Read more »

James Higginbotham
James Higginbotham
Reply to  lsume

lol.
well my wife, as we call them in the Marine Corps is my HOUSE MOUSE lol.
when i told her what it meant i thought she was going to have a fit, but now she understands how we express ourselves,.
and she also knows how it is with my firearms and has NO problem over it, so all is FINE.
and i am a kitchen gunsmith as well, so she sees me working on them a lot of times and i explain how they operate ext.

An unknown gun nut
An unknown gun nut

Hmm…in my opinion, in this order, the best 5 would be 375 chey tac, 416 barrett, 408 cheytac, and a straight up tie between .338 lapua, and 50 BMG. Any counter argument?

GTL4Hire
GTL4Hire

In my opinion the .50 caliber is the big dog, then the 408 Chey-Tac, then I must go with the 338 lapua, followed by the 300 win mag, and finally believe it or not 303 British rifle. I still can’t understand why the 303 is not produced anymore. Before you start criticising the 303 do some research on it. Not meaning to be boasting in any way, but I have several several guns ranging from $1400. to $68,000 and I still enjoy shooting my British Enfield 303.

Georgiaoutlaw

Right on brother I really hope we’re done with clintons for ever I would like to never c r hear Hillary and bill ever again

Frank G
Frank G

Guys I have been watchin this “what’s the best long range” yada yada yada! The best long range cartridge what a bunch BS ………………… you can quote BC MV all you want guys 99.9% of hunters will never “send one” at some of the ranges you folks state. The best long range cartridge is the BEST cartridge you can send with confidence and on target. I don’t care the range. Some a 300 yard shot is as far as they are comfortable with, some out to 500, some out 600+ yards. Personally my Weathby 300 WSM sending Hornady can go… Read more »

GTL4Hire
GTL4Hire
Reply to  Frank G

The topic is Top Five Long Range Cartridges. It seems that a lot of the post are referring to hunting, and that’s okay with me. But, it was talking about the top five long range cartridges. I am not trying or meaning to start an argument, just getting back to the original topic of this post.

Reply to  GTL4Hire

Sir guess you would rather have Hillary I’m very glad we don’t give trump a chance be glad we survived Obama glad he gone and hope Hillary is soon to be also

Alan

Did you try the Iron Sights that came with, or certainly should have come with the rifle? By the way, and the following is purely a personal preference observation, even for a Service Rifle, the idea of messing about with the Front Sight for elevation seems like the dumbest of dumb ideas.

Georgiaoutlaw

223 aetec got to come back to the left bout 6″ & down 6r 8″ to get a good zero bushnell said change rings that should fix the problem but lm not sure wut u guys think

Georgiaoutlaw

Got my Nikon back its on my 308 sons 223 got a Simmons aetec phillipines made can’t get scope to come to the and down enuff to get a good zero anyone no wut might be my problem its strictly a hunting rifle

LE KENOBBIE
LE KENOBBIE

6.5/284 question as a comparison to these other rounds.?

Reply to  LE KENOBBIE

@Le K. I don’t know. I never shot one, but my favorite rifle maker builds rifles in that caliber. So it must be good. If you have shot a 6.5/284, then what are your thoughts?

LE KENOBBIE
LE KENOBBIE
Reply to  Wild Bill

I have shot it numerous times. It is FAST, but I have nothing to compare with it. It is NOT too abusive to my shoulder and if not shot rapidly one could shoot for several hours from one position.IF there is ever a chance to contact your friend that makes these, I would like to ask him.
Le

Reply to  LE KENOBBIE

@Le K, Cooper Rifle company.

tomcat
tomcat
Reply to  Wild Bill

@ W. Bill, how are things in your world? Did the storm get you? If it did can you stand in your living room and wash your gonads without bending over. The last was a little joke but ,seriously, how is your world?

Reply to  Wild Bill

@tcat, We lucked out, big time. Harvey marching North took a right face and went to La. We got the most peasant 20 mikes of rain that you ever saw. Looking forward to a beautiful third crop of hay. And we are all so happy that Hillary is not our president!

tomcat
tomcat
Reply to  Wild Bill

@ W Bill, if a person is sad all they have to remember is that Hillary is not President. Trump and the governor are attending to the folks that got hit so I hear plus the citizens are coming together to help each other. Nothing good about something like this except that it brings people together.
Third cutting of hay, don’t you usually get that? Tennessee usually does but in Michigan and Indiana the limit is usually two because of the cold weather coming so early.

Ranger1
Ranger1
Reply to  Wild Bill

The 6.5×284 was the caliber of choice for long range F-Class shooters (open) until recently. It is a long action cartridge and very accurate. Our daughter shot one and set a new national record in 2007 with it at Whittington Center. Her gun was a Savage action with a Bartlein barrel and 12-42×56 Nightforce scope. Some of the new short action calibers hold promise, but one has to always be conscious of the fact that manufacturers have a habit of terminating production of brass when they don’t get the sales they desire. Case in point… Winchester has abandoned production of… Read more »

Reply to  Ranger1

If 260 brass ever dries up (or 6.5CM for that matter) it’s easy enough to make from .308. By the time all of that dries up, I’ll be long dead – or moved on to a different hobby.

Reply to  Smedley54

You could make it from 30-06 brass also, just a case of cutting off more of the resized/reformed brass.

LE KENOBBIE
LE KENOBBIE

How does the 6.5/284 fit into this equation?

Gene
Gene

I shoot a 300 win mag but I also load Accelerators which come out og the barrel around 4900 ft per second, you need a solid bullet as a hollow point will disintegrate at those speeds. But they just explode on a coyote at 500 yards!!!!!!

Reply to  Gene

lol I’m a deer and pig hunter shoot 3006 180gr & 308 150gr they both do all I need them to do and that’s place federal cartridges with great accuracy into vital zones of my target animal I will never need wut u shoot wow that is fast

William Spurgeon
William Spurgeon

What about the Grendel and the 5.45×39. Both are tack drivers out at 500 yards. The 5.45 is not a deer gun but it is a killer. No brass for the 5.45 and no billets right now don’t know why?.

DAN III
DAN III

William, Interesting question you pose re: 5.45×39. Interesting as I’ve only recently acquired both a Molot VEPR and an Arsenal SLR 104 chambered in the 5.45. So far I have only put 300-400 rounds through the 104. Nevertheless, I find the 5.45 as intriguing (for me) as I do my great satisfaction with the 300 BLK AAC cartridge. Based on my experience with 77/85 grain, 5.56mm, I find shots beyond 300-350 meters to be the exception. Not the rule. Seeing as the 60 grain in 5.45mm is the common bullet available, perhaps you can elaborate on your suggestion that the… Read more »

Robert Bears
Robert Bears

I have for many years (38) used a 375 H & H for any serious shouting. It used to be the long range goto cartridge. I greatly enjoyed shooting it after it was Magna-ported.

Jim
Jim

Let’s remember, the obviously inferior .308 (left out by author although it is our premier sniper round since 1960) will at 500 yards deliver the same energy and velocity as a .44 Magnum will from an 8-inch barrel just one inch from the target.

lsume
lsume

I’ve never been a big game hunter. I was a prolific bird hunter for a number of years with many ducks and doves sprinkled in with some geese, pheasant, and quail when I had my bird dog which was, in my opinion, the best bird dog ever and was a golden retriever. Granted, the golden doesn’t have the nose of more popular bird dogs but my golden didn’t get more than 50 yards away and held Point with great patience. Also, she could find all of the birds that I would never find in the high grass of the Flint… Read more »

robert
robert
Reply to  lsume

Isume, my dad was he same way, he lost his best bird dog, and rarely hunted pheasant or quail again. His was a Irish Setter. Years later my brother got a Irish setter, then the blizzard came thru the mid- west and decimated the natural pheasant & quail population. That and line fence to line fence grain farming really put a damper on birds in Ohio.
Good luck on those Ballistics Coefficient figures.

Georgiaoutlaw

U being funny also old vet damn hunters have good time wen we get some alone time rite.

Georgiaoutlaw

Patrick all is kewl go says keep doing wut u do lol

Georgiaoutlaw

Explain to me wut it would be a violation of I like hunting and fishing very much more hunting deer & pigs I’m not sure I understand what ur speaking of thanks

Patrick
Patrick
Reply to  Georgiaoutlaw

I was being silly and making a joke about the author’s word choice. I believe he meant to use a different word, but of course it’s not crucial to reading nor enjoying the article, so no offense was intended. (The word used was “volition”.)

Toecutter
Toecutter
Reply to  Patrick

I wouldn’t worry about offending this Neanderthal

Patrick
Patrick

“By the time this copy goes to press I would not be surprised to see still additional bullets and loads coming to volition.”
A bullet coming to volition would be frightening. I would like the bullet to go towards my point of aim.