Home Invader Shot & Killed By Homeowner, While Buddy’s Run Off

Bob Irwin highlights the latest self defense and other shootings of the week. Read them and see what went wrong, what went right and what we can learn from self defense with a gun.

Robber
Home Invader Shot & Killed By Homeowner, While Buddy’s Run Off
Bob Irwin
Bob Irwin

USA –-(Ammoland.com)- WBRC Fox 6 TV reports in Florence, Alabama 11-26-2016 at around 3 a.m., Officers responded to a call about shots fired during a home invasion in the 1100 block of East Limestone Street.

Responding Officers found a 26 year old suspect inside the home. He had been shot multiple times. He was transported to ECM Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

WAFF-TV 48 reporters spoke with the homeowner who said he and his mother were supposed to be gone for the holiday, but his flight wasn’t until later. His 11- and 13-year-old cousins were in another room playing video games.

He related that there were three intruders wearing masks who entered his home and just started shooting. He showed the media where he was standing with his rifle and said “I kept shooting until I couldn’t shoot no more.”

“There is no need for nobody to try and……come kill that person and take what’s in their home,” he said. He told investigators he did not know the dead intruder.

Investigators believe others may have been involved in the home invasion and are talking to witnesses in the hope of identifying others who may have knowledge of the events.

For now, their family is getting out of that house, moving away and thankful to be alive. “Where I come from in Detroit it happens a whole lot, so my mind frame was to protect my family at any given cost because you’d never know what would happen or who would try to do something to you because there’s a lot of crazy people out in this world,” he said.

WBRC FOX6 News – Birmingham, AL

Comments:

Too bad the home defender feels he has to move, I’ve met a few victims with the same problem. Fear of gang retaliation forces relocation.

Having a firearm to defend yourself is the prudent thing to do of course, but the aftermath always continues with the first criminal investigation which looks fine here.

Then the possible civil lawsuit, maybe not so fine in this case, the quote: “I kept shooting until I couldn’t shoot no more” is not helpful to your lawyers’ arguing self-defense. (Always Dummy Up!)

Now the third problem – “I need to move”. I know of zero working solutions to the danger of a gang retaliation. Suggestions?

Bob Irwin, The Gun Store, Las Vegas

About Bob Irwin

The writer is the owner of The Gun Store in Las Vegas and has a gun talk radio show “Fired Up with Bob Irwin” Firedup is now on KSHP 1400 am radio from 5 to 6 pm on Thursdays and at the same time also on YouTube “Fired Up with Bob Irwin.

Roy D.
Roy D.

So, “He related that there were three intruders wearing masks who entered his home and just started shooting.” Seems like there is more here than meets the eye. Or, as already stated, just a poorly written article. But, since the question was asked, my solution to gang retaliation is to avoid gang involvement. That begins with not living anywhere near where gangs live. In my case that means living in the most conservative city in the most conservative county in my state. We just don’t put up with that nonsense here.

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Roy D.

Trouble is, gang guys have cars, or steal them, thus are mobile. It is common for them to “cruise” around finding new areas that weem “immune” to such activity. And yes, I’d be cautious about gang members returning… the guys the dead guy used to hang around with. I see no indication that the resident has any contact with gangs himself. My guess is the house is rented.. could have even been rented to some gang members, or been a drug house previously. Moving just might be his best option. Leave no forwarding address….. and get a handgun with a… Read more »

durabo
durabo
Reply to  Tionico

Spot on, Tionico. When bank robber Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks, his “Duh!” answer was, “That’s where the money is.” Hood from the hood don’t stay in the hood, but drive where the money is.

Dave
Dave

Bob, your comments show that you didn’t do your research before spouting off about the homeowner’s comments. If you had bothered, you would have found that Alabama law gives civil immunity to a justified shooter. Plug the facts into the law and it’s clearly justified. http://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-13a-criminal-code/al-code-sect-13a-3-23.html

D.L. Cote
D.L. Cote

I like that Sgt, very effective and to the point!

PO3 D.L. Cote USCG!

Dave
Dave

Bob, a bit more effort into research would be appreciated by your readers. If you’d bothered, you’d have seen a justified shooter has civil suit immunity… http://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-13a-criminal-code/al-code-sect-13a-3-23.html

Larry Meredith
Larry Meredith

I have a sign on my front door area that says: THERE IS NOTHING INSIDE THIS HOME WORTH DYING FOR!!

Sgt Larry Meredith USAF!!

durabo
durabo
Reply to  Larry Meredith

And I have one that reads, “THE LOCKS ON THE GATE AND DOOR ARE FOR YOUR PROTECTION , NOT MINE”

“Durabo,” LT, USNR – Naval Flight Officer 1960-67

Wufman
Wufman
Reply to  durabo

In Arizona our sign states:
WARNING: MY WOLVES EAT EVERYTHING I SHOOT
ADVIRTIENDO: MIS LOBOS COMEN TODO que DISPARO

durabo
durabo
Reply to  Wufman

ADVERTENCIA: MIS LOBOS SE COMEN TODO LO QUE TIROTEO is a better translation, but not bad at all, Wuf – not bad!

HMLA-167 Warrior
HMLA-167 Warrior

“Then the possible civil lawsuit, maybe not so fine in this case, the quote: “I kept shooting until I couldn’t shoot no more” is not helpful to your lawyers’ arguing self-defense.” And why is that Bob? What type of rifle was he using? A three round bolt action? A Henry lever action repeater? How many shots did he fire? What was his reason for not being able to shoot anymore, Bob? Did he run out of perps to shoot at so he couldn’t shoot anymore? Did the perps run in front of the door where his cousins were playing video… Read more »

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

hmla, You sound like a smarmy, smart-ass liberal. If you don’t like Mr Erwin’s writings, why don’t you GFY.

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  Wild Bill

ya know whut? I was thinking exactl the same things. For the same reasons. I DO like Irwin’s pieces, but DO weary of his sometimes bizarre commentary. Yes, DUMMY UP is the best advice…. but we all know human nature, and how we think we’re on trial in the court of public opinion. We’re not. Until that ‘public opinion” is that of the jury. I can see this poor guy, hyper excited still over the whole mess, wanting to explaiin what had happened….. and how the local DA, assuming he’s a real jerk (odds are in support of this premise)… Read more »

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Wild Bill

@Wild Bill, I did not write this comment. I don’t misspell authors’ names. I don’t use those weird abbreviations that the thumb typists use. And at 0821 hours, today, I was cleaning my horse barn.

Brad E
Brad E

In response to some comments here, I’m grateful for the efforts by Ammoland and Bob Irwin to inform and educate us about victims’ stories of self-defense and the need to be armed, trained and vigilant to protect ourselves and our families. I’m also grateful for the NRA’s Armed Citizen stories which inform us, but stop short of analysis. The NRA recognizes that any attempt to educate us on the nuances of their self-defense stories, and the state-specific laws, will open themselves up to criticism for being insufficiently detailed, having too much information, or reaching conclusions without adequate analysis/explanation – a… Read more »

durabo
durabo

Who writes your headlines, Bob? The plural for “buddy” is “buddies,” not “buddy’s.”