Quebec Labrador Caribou Hunting Closing

Last Chance to Hunt for Quebec Labrador Caribou
Last Chance to Hunt for Quebec Labrador Caribou
Steve's Outdoor Adventures TV
Steve's Outdoor Adventures TV

Quebec-(Ammoland.com)- It was announced today that the Quebec Government has decided to close the Leaf River Herd to all sport hunting after the end of the 2017 hunting season.

Since the George River Herd closed to all hunting a few years ago following a decline from 750,000 animals to fewer than 10,000 caribous during the last census, this is likely the last opportunity to hunt for and harvest a Quebec-Labrador sub-species caribou bull in our lifetimes.

This closure comes despite a census that there are still close to 200,000 animals in the Leaf River Herd. While down from approximately 650,000 animals at its peak, the herd has plenty of animals to support a sport hunt and this last year we experienced a world-class caribou hunt which was filmed for The Adventure Series and will air on Outdoor Channel in January 2017.

If you are trying to complete a super slam you need this subspecies of caribou to complete it. Call our office immediately to discuss the available dates and options. And you can also see our hunting info on our website at Quebec Caribou Hunts – Leaf River Herd.

These hunts are limited to the number of permits issued to the outfitters by the government. We look forward to hearing from you.

About Steve’s Outdoor Adventures

Steve’s Outdoor Adventures is a high adrenaline big game hunting program featuring western big game hunting at its finest. No tree-stand whitetail hunts, turkey hunts or bass fishing on this show. Each weekly episode, West hunts the most exciting destinations across North America showcasing true adventure hunts for moose, grizzly and brown bear, caribou, muskox, trophy mule deer, elk and more. As the face of the Burris Eliminator Laser Scope, West showcases amazing hunts with his Bergara Custom Rifle while he also pursues a super slam of North America with his CVA muzzleloader.

The show airs Saturdays at 8:30 pm, Thursdays at 2:00 pm, and Tuesdays at 1:30 am EST on The Outdoor Channel. To learn more, visit stevesoutdooradventures.com, and visit facebook.com/SOAonline.

Reggie

I will say this, regardless of our differences regarding the Caribou you have a great site and really useful links. I have passed it on to some friends who were thinking about a Caribou hunt.

Reggie

Well, I don’t have the time to wait. Post it when you can. I will just say as I did in a message to you it works both ways.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

@Reg, Perhaps he is not yet aware of my request.

Reggie

Has he put it up yet? I don’t see it.

Reply to  Reggie

You know this works both ways. When I was on the Pons River with Explo Silva Outfitters back in 89 we watched 12 guys from Michigan do the same thing on a herd of Bou crossing the lake. The guys had taken a boat to an island in the middle of the lake. The camp captain confiscate two of the caribou and had a plane come in and get the guys out of the camp. When we got back to Shefferville they were gone.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

P, Can you put it on the internet? I would like to see it, and the world needs to know.

Reply to  Wild Bill

??? put what on the internet?

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Reggie

I am asking Steve to put his video footage on the internet so that others can see it.

Steve Parvonnessee
Steve Parvonnessee

Reggie. Are you really going to deny what SOME of the resident population there has done to those herds? I have video footage of a bunch of young local guys (not hunters, not outiftters) in an unnamed town in northern Quebec absolutely laying waste to a nice sized pod (maybe 400 strong) of Bou as they made a crossing over a narrow ribbon between two lakes just barely out of town. They easily cut that pod or herd down to half in about 15 minutes time. Wanna know how many were recovered and brought back to town? 3. Just 3.… Read more »

Reggie

Steve, In reading your last paragraph and I will quote Wanna know how to tell that someone has nothing but their opinion to offer and no proofs or evidence to back it up? They get loud and repeat the same stuff over and over again. That’s exactly what you are doing. I didn’t say we were saints but I know for a fact if that happened they would have gotten their asses kicked if seen by the Elders. I live in the States now, I wonder what you would think if they allowed the Natives to come down and shoot… Read more »

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Parvonnessee, Can you put that video footage (I have video footage of a bunch of young local guys (not hunters, not outiftters) in an unnamed town in northern Quebec absolutely laying waste to a nice sized pod (maybe 400 strong) of Bou as they made a crossing over a narrow ribbon between two lakes just barely out of town. They easily cut that pod or herd down to half in about 15 minutes time.) on the internet, please?

Reggie

The main reason for the closure is because my people, Native Americans, The Cree, Micmac, Inuit and many other tribes and bands who live in the Northern Quebec area need the Caribou to sustain us through the harsh winters. We have been trying to get it closed for many years as the herd has dropped way below the needs of the people and sport hunting… W hen I was young and growing up my family would have starved to death without the Caribou. As a sportsman who has migrated to the states and become citizens I am glad it has… Read more »

Boom & Crockett
Boom & Crockett
Reply to  Reggie

That’s an interesting point, Reggie. After my experience living in the north, the main reason for the decline in the herd that I witnessed was the negligent, reckless, and repulsive behavior of too many members of the very peoples you are supporting in your point. I witnessed the slaughter and waste of over a thousand caribou by members of the native nations of that area – carcasses left to rot in sheds, healthy animals shot as target practice and left on the tundra, full hind quarters being pulled through the streets in town by packs of loose dogs. This was… Read more »

Reggie

I find it amazing that you were able to actually count the number of caribou you witnessed being slaughtered and wasted by our Native Peoples. In many outlying regions proper refrigeration was not available and yes some met was lost that way. In my years up North I never witnessed anyone using healthy caribou for target practice and I have never seen a pack of dogs dragging hindquarters through the streets in any town. Yes the wasting disease did have an effect on the herds. However, I have been witnessed to many atrocities of the, as you call them, “The… Read more »