By Ryan Allen
USA – -(Ammoland.com)- With the recent confirmation of Jeff Sessions to Attorney General, gun owners and pro second amendment supporters could be heard breathing an audible sigh of relief.
The 52-47 vote confirmed the Senator from Alabama as The United State's 84th Attorney General. Jeff Sessions is a long time supporter of the second amendment, and this support has even earned him an A+ rating from the NRA. When you take a look at President Trump’s cabinet, Sessions was on of the first politicians to support Trump’s fun for President.
In fact, shortly after his confirmation Executive Director of the NRA Chris W. Cox stated, “The NRA and our five million members would like to congratulate Jeff Sessions on his confirmation as attorney general. He will make America a safer place by prosecuting violent criminals while protecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.”
Jeff Sessions support for gun owners and the second amendment does not stop with empty promises.
A constitutional lawyer with great respect for the law, his record that shows that he is not afraid to act on his beliefs. Sessions has repeatedly stated that the people who should be refused the right to bear arms are criminals breaking current laws. He believes that enforcing these laws, not imposing new laws that only restrict those who are not criminals is the way to move forward.
Some of Session's notable contributions toward maintaining the sanctity of the Second Amendment are:
- In 2005, he fought for the Protection of Lawful Commerce of Arms Act, which would protect gun manufacturers from the threat of being implicated in crimes committed using guns they had produced.
- Sessions actively worked to try to prevent the nominations of Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court, both of whom are actively against second amendment rights.
- He is also opposed to and voted against the government being able to perform firearm confiscation in a state of emergency.
- His belief in removing restraints on legal gun carriers by allowing national carry permits led him to vote for the National Right to Carry Amendment, which ultimately did not receive enough votes to pass.
- He is also a strong supporter of Project Exile, which made violent gun crimes punishable with sentences to federal prisons. This project is credited with lowering crime rates in Virginia dramatically.
Possibly the most refreshing thing about Jeff Sessions is his understanding that making it harder for law abiding citizens to legally obtain firearms, no matter the type, does nothing to prevent criminals acquisition of firearms. According to Sessions, the only way an American Citizen should lose their Second Amendment rights to a firearm is through voluntary choice.
In his words, “People can forfeit their right to have a gun, and it can be a factor in receiving sentences and being prosecuted if you carry a gun, for example, during the commission of a crime. That can add penalty and convictions to you. I think that’s a legitimate and responsible restraint on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms”.
Those who do not support the second amendment should use this confirmation, and the upcoming confirmations for Solicitor General and the eagerly anticipated Supreme Court vacancy as a wake up call. The American people are tired of having their constitutional rights threatened, and they are appointing leadership that has already made moves to ensure the second amendment is safe.
The NRA is surely taking notes on those who voted against the confirmation of Sessions, and with only Democrat Joe Manchin III breaking party lines, there are many Democrats who will be receiving updated ratings.
It is exciting to think about a future in which criminals will be prosecuted in ways that do not also slander and criminalize those who are legal, law abiding gun owners.
Jeff Sessions' strong record and his stated intentions are a breath of fresh air in a country where law abiding citizens have been criminalized for far too long.