‘Killing Bigfoot’ on Destination America – Jim Lansdale Interview

By Joe Evans

Killing Bigfoot on Destination America
Killing Bigfoot on Destination America
Destination America
Destination America

Louisiana-(Ammoland.com)- For centuries, cultures have told stories about giant, wild, hairy men in the woods.

They have been called many names in many different languages. Most Americans, however, know this creature as Bigfoot.

Now, a team of experts are setting out to finally do what nobody else before them has managed: They're on the hunt to kill a Bigfoot.

Jim Lansdale, a Vietnam veteran, Gulf Coast Bigfoot Research Organization (GCBRO) member and part of the ‘Killing Bigfoot' team, sat down with Ammoland for an interview about himself, his experience with Bigfoot hunting and the upcoming show ‘Killing Bigfoot', which premiers Saturday, Feb. 4 at 10 p.m./9 p.m. C on Destination America.

Here's our Q and A with Jim.

Q: Tell me a bit about your military experience

Jim: I was drafted in the summer of 1969 and spent both Basic and AIT training, Infantry 11 Bravo, at Fort Polk Louisiana, which feels like hell on earth especially during the summer months. After finishing my training, I was sent by plane to Vietnam and was assigned to the 1st Cav Air Mobile. I traveled all over the country, depending on what was going on at the time. I was last stationed at LZ Audrey where I was medivacked for an injury received after slipping and falling down a mountain side, thus finishing my 21 months, 3 months early, to then go back to college, at Ft. Monroe in Virginia as a Military Policeman.

Q: Do you have experience hunting other cryptozoological creatures other than Bigfoot?

Jim: I personally don’t have any other experience hunting any other cryptid.

Q: Have you ever seen a Bigfoot yourself? If so, describe the experience.

Jim: Yes, I have seen quite a few Bigfoot, all different sizes, which includes the large male, adult females and juveniles.

The first one I saw was approximately eight feet tall, dark in color with shining green eyes when flashed by light, this sighting was right at nightfall. I’ve seen many males that have a body builder’s V shape, dark in color, short hair a couple of inches long, and a beard – pie shaped around the face. The females typically have hanging breasts with a pie-shaped face covered by hair. I’ve seen juveniles of different shapes and sizes, some shaggy-haired while others have much shorter hair.

I once saw four in one area on the Sabine river that were about the same size but different colors and length of hair, sitting right off the water – taking small trees and whipping them back and forth for an unknown reason. That same afternoon, Bobby, fellow GCBRO founder, with his two sons, witnessed an approximately seven-foot dark-colored Bigfoot walk out of the trees, and survey the area for over ten minutes. Meanwhile, Bobby stood on the other side of the river under a bridge about 175 yards away, so he was out of sight.

I’ve seen Bigfoot in Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas. One of my closest sightings was during deer season, sitting in my tri-pod using a fawn bleat. After an hour, I felt my butt falling asleep so I pivoted the chair to my left, and noticed something dark, approximately 6 feet tall with a slender figure, staring at me with large eyes, hair neatly creased, cheeks drooped, then immediately wheeled to its left running off, making less noise then a deer makes.

Jim Lansdale and Bobby Hamilton of GCBRO
Jim Lansdale and Bobby Hamilton of GCBRO

The key to having a sighting is to be in areas of recently reported activity and also possess some knowledge about what you are doing.

Q: How did you get involved in “Killing Bigfoot?”

Jim: I got involved with Bigfoot research after seeing something in my headlights, less than thirty yards ahead squatting beside my then young sons perforated feeder shaking it.

Lights shined on it for probably fifteen to twenty seconds before it turned and looked at us. It appeared to be dark in color, large through the buttocks but the calves looked small compared to the thigh area. It looked at us with eyes reflecting a bright red about the size of a coke can. It bolted towards the Hawthorne thicket about fifteen feet away on all fours. My son nor I had any idea what we had just witnessed, writing it off as a fluke incident, until the next year when we found both a 19-inch and 9-inch track crossing one of the lanes we were clearing off before deer hunting.

Q: What sort of preparation goes into hunting a Bigfoot? What types of lures, calls or bait do you use for a creature like that?

Jim: Preparation for a hunt consists of a lot of ground work searching the area for trails possibly used by Bigfoot. Bigfoot does leave identifiable signs that all our team is skilled in recognizing.

We are able to distinguish which paths were used for recent travel and some which lead us to their homes, pens and barns. Going into an area we plan to hunt, we send in a few men ahead of the hunter, making any Bigfoot in that area move so that we can conceal our hunter for a night hunt. We know that these animals are curious and will eventually come back to the area they first saw us in to see what we are doing. However, they can’t count thus have no idea we have a hunter in the thicket, disguised, waiting to hunt for the Bigfoot and said aggressor.

Q: What sort of weaponry will you be using on the show? Why those particular weapons? What about them makes them right for hunting/killing a Bigfoot?

Jim: The weapons used depend on where and what terrain and thickets we are hunting in.

Long range we use high powered rifles, however it is seldom that we hunt in any area where we would have to shoot over fifty yards, so we have hunters using 12 gauge shotguns and some who hunt with a .45-70. Hunters use slugs in their shotguns with 0 buckshot. The hunters with rifles use different loads from 180 for a 30:06 to over 600 grain hand loads for the .45-70. All men who plan to extract the corpse when it happens use shotguns. Personally, I use buckshot.

Q: Why kill the Bigfoot, as oppose to capturing it alive?

Joe: Kill vs. No Kill has been debated for as long as I’ve been on the case of Bigfoot.

There has not been a trap designed that would or could catch a Bigfoot. To tranquilize one, you would need a perfect, clear up and close shot as well as the right dosage to make sure it goes down quick (without killing it). Here’s the problem, no matter the dosage or how the clear shot, this animal has an opposable thumb so he could easily remove any dart, even with the proper dosage, it would take time for the drug to go into effect. The animal could be a mile or two away in dense brush at night, so the possibility of finding would be difficult at best plus it taking approximately 15 minutes to put an animal of that size down.

Q: What sort of locations will be featured on the show?

Joe: Areas featured are east Texas, Mississippi and Northwest Louisiana. All hunt locations are set in heavy thickets, and on private property of landowners who have been tormented by an aggressive type of Bigfoot.

Q: What makes “Killing Bigfoot” unique from other shows with similar subject matter?

Jim: Killing Bigfoot is unique for many reasons.

First, the way we conduct our hunts in areas of aggressive Bigfoot activity, homeowners are sick of living in fear for the safety of their children, grandchildren, pets and livestock. We as hunters take these reports seriously, and practice safe yet strategic hunts, knowing our mission is to give these people some peace of mind. Other groups simply document possible tracks and impressions, listen for vocals, take some photos and leave feeling satisfied. The GCBRO stays on a case for as long as needed. We also put certain tricks to use to help deter Bigfoot activity after we are gone.

Q: For you, what was the stand out experience/your biggest takeaway from your time on the show?

Jim: Most exciting was seeing the red eye shine up close while filming in Northwest Louisiana filming.

We were at a location where a couple’s dogs were being attacked. According to hunters there were at least three Bigfoot on top of us within a matter of fifty feet or less, the same area where Don got a video of a Bigfoot on his GoPro. Though not definitive proof to a skeptic, as seasoned Bigfoot hunters along with witness account of a sighting earlier in the day, further confirms that what Don caught on video was in fact a Bigfoot.

Q: Finally, the most important question of all, do you guys manage to kill the elusive Bigfoot? And if you do, Ammoland.com gets the exclusive first interview, right?

Jim: Of course, I just added your name to the list of people to call when we do harvest a Bigfoot.

However, there is something I’d like to mention before I finish – as a team we could have already harvested a female and/or a juvenile – but that’s not what we want for discovery and research – we are exclusively looking for an aggressive male Bigfoot.

Bigfoot hunting can be dangerous. Not only are we dealing with an aggressive and powerful animal, we are dealing with an animal that if injured or cornered can harm or kill in an attempt to escape. Our team of men are all seasoned hunters and woodsmen, so I advise no one to try this at home. It could cost you your life. This is not a warm, docile animal. Indian tribes feared the Sasquatch/Bigfoot for kidnapping, killing and cannibal tendencies.

About Joe Evans:

Joe Evans is the Assistant Editor at Ammoland.com.

The 22-year-old journalist, freelance writer and editor is a Pennsylvanian, a University of Scranton 2016 graduate. He’s a sports fan, blogger and lover of all things interesting. Forever writing something somewhere. Find him and read his work on Twitter and Ammoland.com.

POPIII
POPIII

Who do I need to contact with the best video and stills of a juvenile I shot in the Kiamichi Mountains. Which is in Oklahoma. I don’t want to show this to the general public yet because it is the best footage of a specimen PERIOD! I don’t want it hunted and killed but possibly caught and studied. I was not hunting this animal. I was camping at a cabin in primitive country. I’m afraid of contacting the government due to their history of covering things up. This footage is going to change everything from now on. I just can’t… Read more »

Bill Tyler
Bill Tyler
Reply to  POPIII

Dr. Jeff Meldrum, Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho.

Markmichael88
Markmichael88

It goes to show again anything GOD puts on earth and regarding race that people don’t understand ya want to kill something you don’t understand every living thing has a purpose this creature hasn’t done shit too anyone of us open ya HARTS not a gun be friends with it if these things would turn around and wage WAR against us we would loose y’all starting WAR against something that did nothing but survive I would like to put sign on there back saying BIG DUMB AZZ please hunt me down and kill me if you don’t want to be… Read more »

Johnny K
Johnny K

It’s totally possible for some kind of undiscovered hominid to be somewhere on earth. (In 2005, they discovered a totally different ape, ‘chimpanzee classification’. Chimps as big as humans somewhere in Africa) Anyway….
But a ‘Bigfoot’ !!! And these MORONS killed a ‘juvenile’ Bigfoot and just left it there!!! MMM….. OK…. Do these TV producers think we are that [email protected]#$%– stupid? In stupidity, this show rivals ‘ Mountain Monsters’.

Dovie
Dovie
Reply to  Johnny K

I agree some of these programs on bigfoot are for entertainment but there are sasquatch or bigfoot. I suggest if anyone is interested in learning about bigfoot listen to sasquatch chronicles. It is a podcast. People who have had experiences can send an email and share about their encounters.

Tom
Tom

Why don’t you use a grown up rifle? Like a .300or .338 magnum!!

Travis Barker
Travis Barker
Reply to  Tom

They probably do for long range. But they said they rarely go anywhere where they would have to shoot more than 50ft.

Anibal J Matias
Anibal J Matias

First, somebody please tell the fourth guy to the left not to point the muzzle to his friend. And second, why hunt down an American icon legend from our wildlife? All this folklore brings the tourism to our land. We were all raised with these interesting mysteries and stories.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

@Anibal, I think the the fourth guy to the left is one step forward. And don’t get wrapped to tight over this. It is just TV fiction. Every word is scripted, everything they wear is advertising, every one of them is a created character. It is just another form of shock media.

Mik
Mik

If you really want the ” the thrill of the hunt” how about going in unarmed and test your man skills. Real tough guy shooting an animal from hundreds of yards away after tricking it into a situation. PS to all you ‘conservation” hunters last time I checked Bigfoots are not exactly increasing in numbers or starving to death during the winters.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Mik

@Mik, I have never seen anyone discredit themselves so thoroughly in a mere three sentences.

Jeff D.
Jeff D.

These aholes are nothing more than “POACHERS” If the need to shoot one is that important than why not take your best shot with a camera! That’s right, a camera! That would be skill. You could shoot it with a paint ball gun if you really have to shoot it just for the sake of shooting one. Guys, this is so wrong!! Take a picture and call it a day! These aholes remind me of the no balls dentist that shot the lion, or the other hero that came upon some mountain gorillas and shot and killed one. Maybe it… Read more »

DDM4V11
DDM4V11

That’s right, if you don’t know what it is, kill it . . . Leave it to “MAN.” Then there’s the group photo . . . a team of “Experts”? Of course, how could I not have seen that!!!

Bill Chase
Bill Chase

That show and it’s so-called participants, needs to be taken off the air… Gives quality hunters, shooters and all outdoors loving Americans a bad deal..Let alone endangering anybody out in the woods !!!..

Some people
Some people

Idiots! They give the rest of us law abiding gun people a bad name. “I’ll kill anything.just to be killing.”

Wild Bill
Wild Bill

This is just the contrived foolishness of Television. Some liberal sh*thead probable thought it up! it is all about selling ads. Fear not they will see nothing, find nothing, shoot nothing.

Steve
Steve
Reply to  Wild Bill

These reality shows are nothing but contrived bull sh*t. Nothing ever gets found or solved. It’s just a way for a bunch of idiots to have some good paydays. If you ever did find a bigfoot why in hell would you want to kill it? They claim to be researchers but real researchers would rather have live specimens than dead.

WarEagle82
WarEagle82

I’m sorry but this guy and his teams have had dozens of encounters over many years but in all that time haven’t released a single picture of the beast they plan to shoot? I’m pretty sure they sell cameras down there.

Simply not credible and yet somebody is producing a TV show.

Jeff D.
Jeff D.

If they exist take a picture and call it a day! What they are doing is “POACHING” This automatically makes every one of them SUPER SCUM!!! What a bunch of f(8k-in aholes. Reminds me of the jerk off dentist that shot the lion and the other boy genius that shot that mountain gorilla in front of the baby gorilla and female companion. I know some ex Green Berets Vietnam era, me included, that would love to hunt them! LEAVE THEM ALONE or be happy with a nice picture.

Roy D.
Roy D.

Lo these many decades of my life I have never heard of an instance where a “Bigfoot” has been described as aggressive. Generally it is described as elusive, shy, secretive. But then salesmen got to sell to keep getting paid.

sgmldr
sgmldr
Reply to  Roy D.

Research it, the Native Americans do say this about some bigfoot. They actually say there are two variants and one is the aggressive they warn their children about and the other that will avoid contact as much as possible.

Dan S.
Dan S.

these guys and gals are complete morons. Like the idiot said: it’s harder to capture one. so these mutts will kill one instead – real heroes. They should be banned from owning weapons – NOT responsible users or owners. and the TV show should be boycotted. These stains are so brave? go get one alive. otherwise they are mere murderers of an endangered species, if it exists. Send these mutts to Iraq.

ignorant Taliban types OR scammers for salaries.

Larry Brickey
Larry Brickey

Stupid. And , if they actually exist, wrong.

Bryan
Bryan
Reply to  Larry Brickey

Agree…..what a stupid idea and show. Gives hunters and gun owners a bad reputation. What, after they kill Bigfoot are they going to kill the Loch Ness Monster too?

Dovie
Dovie
Reply to  Bryan

Actually they do exist. While on a hike with my husband several years ago we walked upon a game trail where we found huge 16 inch bare foot prints about 8 inches wide. I thought “what stupid person would be out here walking bare foot”. I told my husband who ever it was must be 8 -9 foot tall. There were 3 prints. I told him who ever it was took their shoes off somewhere. I walked back and forth finding NO SHOE prints. Each print was about 5 feet from one foot print to the next. I heard an… Read more »

Rick Rogoski
Rick Rogoski
Reply to  Dovie

Lay off the weed is making you paranoid. They will make a show but never find a big foot.

Dovie