Mountain Lion DNA Found Inside A California Home

Summer Wildlife Series continues with mountain lions
Mountain Lions

California Department of Fish and Wildlife

USA -(Ammoland.com)- A trace of mountain lion DNA was identified in a blood sample taken from inside a home in Pescadero, confirming reports that a mountain lion entered an occupied home and took a dog off the bed where the homeowner was sleeping.

On Monday, Apr. 17, 2017, a Pescadero homeowner called 911 at 3 a.m. to report an animal had entered her home through an open door and taken her 15-pound dog, which was sleeping on the end of her bed. San Mateo County Sheriff’s deputies responded and although they did not find the dog, they reported seeing wet paw prints at the entrance to the bedroom.

They notified the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and a wildlife officer responded later that morning. The wet prints had dried and were no longer visible. The wildlife officer was unable to find any other tracks or obvious sign of a mountain lion. He did discover a small drop of blood on the door, which he collected for analysis.

Due to the nature of the report, the wildlife officer drove the blood sample to the CDFW Wildlife Forensics Laboratory in Sacramento the same day. Forensic analysis confirmed the blood found in the home was predominantly domestic dog, with trace amounts of mountain lion DNA, confirming a mountain lion had entered the home and taken the dog.

The property owners are eligible for a depredation permit, which would allow them or an agent acting on their behalf to take the offending mountain lion. However, they opted not to receive the permit. No further action will be taken by CDFW.

CDFW stresses that this lion’s behavior is extremely rare. Most mountain lions are elusive in nature and rarely seen. CDFW urges residents in the area to take all reasonable actions to secure their properties and domestic pets to better coexist with not only mountain lions, but all wildlife.

For tips, please visit their website.

MR. CHARLES
MR. CHARLES

On WILD ANIMALS: I HAVE A VERY HEALTHY RESPECT FOR ANY ANIMAL THAT HAS TEETH, CLAWS, HOOVES, ANTLERS, HORNS, BAD SMELLS, OUT WEIGHTS ME OR NOT, IS LONGER OR TALLER THAN ME. THIS INCLUDES THE DOMESTICATED KIND OF ANIMALS AS WELL. Their stronger than you are in most cases, faster than you think they can be, and can kill you faster then you ever thought possible which is the main reason that anytime l leave the city I am ALWAYS ARMED, especially when going into the hills or mountains or anyplace else that I might run into an animal (Even… Read more »

Calar
Calar
Reply to  MR. CHARLES

Mr. Charles, carrying outside their house is great theory. But absolutely impossible where these people live. Pescadero, CA is in a remote part of Santa Clara county, a “may issue” jurisdiction (includes San Jose) where the Sheriff has only issued less than 50 carry permits, within a population of 1.7 million people. They could have a marauding band of murders and rapists camped in their back yard, or the mountain lion could have carried off their *child*, and they wouldn’t be able to get a carry permit there. (…Well, unless they are well-connected or, as is the case for about… Read more »

circle8
circle8

In our part of the NW have cougars, bears and thanks to the bleeding hearts liberals now we have wolves. We have had cougars in backyards, on roofs, in barns and one even crossed the road in front of my wife about 50-75 feet away. It had just killed some of my neighbors ducks and geese. The cougar was making its escape from the attack or who knows what may have happened to my wife. We know the dangers and travel accordingly.

Richard Cutie
Richard Cutie

What kind of dog lets a mountain lion walk into there bedroom and kill it without making a sound. Dumb a** people must own dumb a** dog. Sorry just hard to believe that this really happened

Rattlerjake
Rattlerjake
Reply to  Richard Cutie

Obviously you aren’t aware of all of the current pussified breeds.

chuck
chuck

I will say that this cat is smarter than the sleeper……….I have hunted and been hunted by cougars. I can tell, with some experience that where I live ..they come to turkey calls while I have been hunting turkey’s..this has happened to me 4 or 5 times over as many years..I once (called in 2 cougars at a time). scared the hell out of my nephew…at one turkey hunting stand a cougar jumped up on the downed tree I was sitting on ,at no more than 15 feet from me scared the hell out of me…he just sat there and… Read more »

Tionico
Tionico
Reply to  chuck

no, but some ten years back there was a situation where a cougar was stalking school kids waiting for their school bus to come and collect them. Seems the cougar had got word of the new “school lunch” programme…. no, seriously, this was just outside Olympia, in a rural area to the north and east of town. This was reported to DNR, who scoffed and retorted :there ARE no cougars in that part of the county, and have not been for forty years”. The locals began to escort their kids and wait with them till the busses left with them.… Read more »

SuperG
SuperG

Maybe rare for now, but animals adapt when they see easy food. Be prepared for a child to be eaten by a cougar, coy-wolf, or wild pigs soon. It is coming.

ray
ray
Reply to  SuperG

I live in Florida where they protect the American croc. So far they just take dogs but sooner or later they will get a kid. Some are 12 feet long and the population is growing in length and numbers. The local wildlife people frequently refuse to move them and then make excuses for the dogs eaten. They tell us that the crocs are not aggressive. Time will come and the wildlife people will not accept responsibility for the deaths. They will blame the victim and say would not have happened if we did not invade the crocs’ space. Just like… Read more »

Colonialgirl
Colonialgirl
Reply to  ray

Ray;
I live in Florida too and I KNOW better than what you are spewing; Yes, they are protected, HOWEVER they do have a hunting season for them with a drawing for permits, PLUS if you have trouble with a Croc in your local canal or pond the wildlife service WILL come out and remove it.
Now go go off sounding like Gil.

Ray
Ray
Reply to  Colonialgirl

You have some misperceptions. Two of my local friends called for removal and were denied. A third finally got a removal and croc returned. Alligators have a hunting season but I have never heard of one for crocs. As I understand they are a designated endangered species so do not have a hunting season. Please supply source for your information re hunting season on crocs. I would like to apply for permit.

Ray
Ray
Reply to  Colonialgirl

Sadly colonialgirl you are wrong re hunting permits for crocs. You can verify on state wildlife site. Also wildlife will not automatically remove based on complaint. Further there has been a verified croc attack in Florida. Need to check your facts before “spewing”.

circle8
circle8
Reply to  Colonialgirl

Maybe you should talk to the parents of the little boy taken by a croc at Disneyland in Orlando. I don’t think they will agree that crocs are not a problem in Florida..

Rattlerjake
Rattlerjake
Reply to  circle8

You’re an idiot!!!! It wasn’t a croc, it was an alligator!!!! You’re like a libturd confusing an AR15 and an assault rifle!

Attacks by American crocodiles are extremely rare and deaths are even rarer. It is the American alligator that is at fault for attacks in Florida.

Bandit
Bandit

Are you kidding me, my door is closed and locked, I know what is out in the desert where I live, I have had one close encounter with a mountain lion and that was enough for me. I have seen what those cats can do not only to a person but to other animals, they are not to be taken lightly, the mountain lion is a powerful cat and can cause some extreme injury, I was lucky I only had a few bruises and nothing more. This person could have had a real bad night, the cougar could have taken… Read more »

Jim
Jim

To not do what is necessary to remove this cat is stupid. Even is the homeowner does not want the depredation permit, the CDFW should take action as this cat has proven its self to be a danger to the local residents.

Ray
Ray
Reply to  Jim

California wants to prohibit removing criminal aliens so why would they remove dangerous cats?

Resistance is futile
Resistance is futile
Reply to  Ray

It could be that they are hoping the apex predators (mountain lions and illegal aliens) take care of each other and create balance (sarcasm intended). Could be why illegals are stealing guns from law enforcement vehicles. 😉

Ray
Ray

Suggest a different dog breed if they want to keep the door open. Would reduce lion and criminal problem.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Ray

, Yes, but I just hate it when the family dog pays the price for the ignorance and stupidity of the owners.

MR. CHARLES
MR. CHARLES
Reply to  Wild Bill

WILD BILL, Good comments on your part. Califormacation seems it cannot get it’s Fish and Wildlife Service to actually trap the poor Cat and remove it from where persons are liable to shoot it in defense of their homes and family members, oh I forgot there may not be anybody in the neighborhood with a firearm to shoot it, before it kills a child, an adult or another pet animal. Guess since there is no reason to remove the Cat safely, there just will be more attacks. Oh well that is just how things will happen and the poor Kitty… Read more »

Resistance is futile
Resistance is futile

They just taught the mountain lion where it could find take out food . It would be funny except that this may have taught the mountain lion a new trick on how to get fresh food like a small child .

Dave in Fairfax
Dave in Fairfax

EXACTLY!
Now the cat knows where to come when it’s hungry.
The good news is that stupidity is self correcting. If the cat was willing to take a dog off the end of the bed, it has NO fear of people. Where can I buy a ticket. I wouldn’t dream of interfering in the cat’s right to a free dinner.

circle8
circle8

The article says: CDFW stresses that this lion’s behavior is extremely rare. Tell that to the owners of the dog. Or maybe to the daughter of the lady killed by a cougar while jogging in El Dorado County. Maybe the woman attacked in the Orange County park or the man who lost his husky in the central part of the state. The problem is those moron democrats in Sacramento who protect the cougars and the black bears and now are doing the same to the wolves. The democrat idiots in Sacramento called legislators are more worried about protecting the killers… Read more »

Saddletramp
Saddletramp
Reply to  circle8

Regarding those taken by a cougar: Too many people think they are living in Disneyland instesd of country inhabited by wild creatures. Lived in CA a couple of years in the 90s and saw it happen several times

Bandit
Bandit
Reply to  Saddletramp

I live in the desert here in the state and have myself either seen or come across a mountain lion, back in 08 I was out cleaning the BBQ and had a run in with one I just kept doing what I was and made no sudden moves, after it had its drink of water it went away. The fact is those that do get attacked by mountain lions are doing something that says that they are prey, ALL cats eyes both large and small follow movement and will go after it, that is what they do, if you make… Read more »

Herb
Herb
Reply to  circle8

With all the scum bags, illegals, drug dealers and drug consumers, and general all around welfare freeloaders, it is likely way too late to make Californication great again – unless North Korea hits it with a couple of nukes.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  Herb

, Maybe if our diplomats negotiated real hard, we could pay the NKs to nuke Kommiefornia.

Wild Bill
Wild Bill
Reply to  circle8

, There are too many illegal aliens voting in CA elections to vote the idiots out of office.